+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFixit Teardown of 2013 Retina MacBook Pros Result in 1 Out of 10 Repairability Score

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple launched a refreshed lineup of MacBook Pros with retina display on Tuesday, and as per the usual tradition, iFixit has gotten to tearing apart the new devices to find
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iFixit Teardown of 2013 Retina MacBook Pros Result in 1 Out of 10 Repairability Score

Apple launched a refreshed lineup of MacBook Pros with retina display on Tuesday, and as per the usual tradition, iFixit has gotten to tearing apart the new devices to find out what’s inside and what makes them tick. The firm has obtained both the 13-inch and 15-inch versions of the Apple-branded notebooks for the event.

As per the usual, Apple is guilty of attempting to prevent user access to the internals of the machines by going with a pentalobe-type of screw, rather than a more common type of screw, such as Phillips. In addition, the battery cells have been glued to the case once more, making it difficult to remove them from the system. Apple also thwarts self-repair by making the entire display a single unit, and soldering all memory modules directly to the logic board.

iFixit notes that the 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display has been cut down to one fan, rather than two, which has been made possible because of Intel’s new Haswell processors. The machine's internal cables have been re-routed along all-new paths from the previous generation.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro with retina display uses the same irritating pentalobe screws. The 15-inch model houses two cooling fans, and the battery is a pain to get out of the case due to the glue holding it in. Just like in the 13-inch model, memory is soldered right into the logic board, thwarting user upgrades. There is little difference in the designs between the two machines apart from the differences in hardware specs.

Due to all the struggles, and lack of upgradeability, iFixit is giving both the 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro with retina display (late 2013) a 1 out of 10 repairability score.

Apple must really enjoy challenging themselves with repairs.

Sources: iFixit 1, 2
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-25-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks

Apple does NOT make it easy do they?? haha! Thankfully I have yet to replace anything in my core 2 duo. Still rocking my old setup..not broke why fix right? :]

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

lilpetabread (10-25-2013), Rcworship (10-25-2013), Silverado1987 (10-25-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Apple doesn't want you to add more memory but instead get a New Macbook Pro.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Apple does NOT make it easy do they?? haha! Thankfully I have yet to replace anything in my core 2 duo. Still rocking my old setup..not broke why fix right? :]
    Thanks for your useful contribution to the thread.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Core 2 duo is so slow you could classify it as broken

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Core 2 duo is so slow you could classify it as broken
    So are cars, but do you replace those when they're not broken?

Thanks

I've owned Apple devices almost right from the start... but Tim Cook seems to be dragging down Apple. Starting with the cheap (And I mean really really ridiculously cheap) iPhone 5C plastic back... which still isn't a LOW cost iPhone (Apple really need to refer to the english dictionary... the got the "cheap" word right in the wrong way!)
    Why the f**k couldn't you keep the iPhone 5 with the component upgrades but keep the body same!!
    iPad Mini Retina was another turn off! I was waiting for the launch... but my previous decision was right... the Nexus 7 LTE. If they can get plastic backs look good... I'm sure Apple is wayy ahead! Wake the f**k up guys!!
    Soldering components is only gonna affect your sales... All the Macbook modders must be sh*t pi**ed right now! I have so many friends who swap out the stock SSDs for better ones. Bad move Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jigar7 View Post
    I've owned Apple devices almost right from the start... but Tim Cook seems to be dragging down Apple. Starting with the cheap (And I mean really really ridiculously cheap) iPhone 5C plastic back... which still isn't a LOW cost iPhone (Apple really need to refer to the english dictionary... the got the "cheap" word right in the wrong way!)
    Why the f**k couldn't you keep the iPhone 5 with the component upgrades but keep the body same!!
    iPad Mini Retina was another turn off! I was waiting for the launch... but my previous decision was right... the Nexus 7 LTE. If they can get plastic backs look good... I'm sure Apple is wayy ahead! Wake the f**k up guys!!
    Soldering components is only gonna affect your sales... All the Macbook modders must be sh*t pi**ed right now! I have so many friends who swap out the stock SSDs for better ones. Bad move Apple.
    You're the one that needs to wake up. You know what a great thing about life is ? It's filled with MANY options. If one thing doesn't fit your needs...theres always something else there for you to choose from.

Apple doesn't like people modding their products. For example, look at the iPhone. They don't like us tinkering with it. Not it's hardware or software. That's just how Apple is ! Do I agree with it ? No ! But that's why there's other manufacturers out there that will let you tinker around with the product.

If you don't like it, cool. Move on to something else. If you like reliability and simplicity, something that works straight out of the box, stay with Apple. If you'd like something you can easily pull apart and change, you're with the wrong company. And this movement isn't new.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,305 Times in 2,723 Posts

I have to agree. I have owned apple products And their computers for over 20
    Years. And it has constantly been a fight to mod, upgrade theme. Lol. The company thinks like this. They want you to
    Spend the extra money up front to upgrade your ram when you buy the computer. It's marketing And who doesn't want to make money

They build a dependable product. When not tinkered with or modified. They last for years. I had a Mac last as a desktop for 12 years. It never turned off. It just did its job. As all my apple
    Products do. Even the ones I theme and mod. Cause I try not to go crazy with add ins and substrates

It's not about right and wrong. And it is definitely nothing to be upset about. Only thing to be upset about is not being able to upgrade my ram without breaking out a soldering kit. Ha

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemptation For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (10-27-2013), lilpetabread (10-26-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemptation View Post
    Years. And it has constantly been a fight to mod, upgrade theme. Lol. The company thinks like this. They want you to
    Spend the extra money up front to upgrade your ram when you buy the computer. It's marketing And who doesn't want to make money

They build a dependable product. When not tinkered with or modified. They last for years. I had a Mac last as a desktop for 12 years. It never turned off. It just did its job. As all my apple
    Products do. Even the ones I theme and mod. Cause I try not to go crazy with add ins and substrates

It's not about right and wrong. And it is definitely nothing to be upset about. Only thing to be upset about is not being able to upgrade my ram without breaking out a soldering kit. Ha
    I pretty much agree with this post. I'm rocking a 7 year old macbook pro that is maxed out with a whopping 2 GB of RAM (I bought it with 1 GB and upgraded it about 3 years ago). It's not the sexiest computer on the block, but it still works and I don't anticipate replacing it any time soon.

When I do replace it though, I'll definitely go with another mac. Apple, as a business, is in a wonderful position where they can do things like making their products painfully difficult to upgrade and people will still buy them. Consider too that the majority of computer users don't bother with upgrades, so it's only a small percentage of users who are frustrated with their change in build style.

I don't like it, but I can't fault them for doing it. And yes, I'll probably max out the RAM upon ordering my next Macbook since I know I can't do it myself.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AUZambo For This Useful Post:

hemptation (10-26-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,305 Times in 2,723 Posts

And that's the point. We buy a Mac to use for years. And they still maintain their price. I bet that 7 year old MBP is still
    Worth 400$. So it's still worth 1/3 a brand new one. I run my macs without ever turning them off Constantly working. And they hold up. The downfall is not being able to upgrade the ram. More than anything else. Cause it's the one task we take on ourselves. But whatever. When I buy a newer one, 7-8 years from now. I will get it upgraded while
    Purchasing. No worries

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple had been soldiering memory for years on a lot of their devices because it's more reliable - oxidation doesn't occur over time. PC makers typically use gold connectors to overcome this issue.

The bottom line is that it doesn't seem to hurt their sales.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hemptation View Post

Exactly. I don't understand what's so difficult about this for some people. It's common knowledge at this point about how Apple works.