+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Now Selling OS X Lion/Mountain Lion Content Codes On Web Site for Older Macs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple just released OS X Mavericks this week, and those with older Macs that don’t support OS X Mavericks will find that OS X Mavericks is the only available option
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Now Selling OS X Lion/Mountain Lion Content Codes On Web Site for Older Macs

Apple just released OS X Mavericks this week, and those with older Macs that don’t support OS X Mavericks will find that OS X Mavericks is the only available option in the Mac App Store. Fortunately, for those using older Macs that don't support OS X Mavericks that want to upgrade to the latest compatible operating system, Apple is now offering OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion online from their Web site.

The user ultimately gets to choose the operating system version that they want to download and install on their older system, but unlike OS X Mavericks, Apple is still charging $19.99 each for both the OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion upgrades from their Web site.

What the user actually gets for the $19.99 charge is a content code in an e-mail that can be used for the upgrade. The e-mail can take up to 1 business day, or even longer in some cases, to receive after payment. The content code can be used in the Mac App Store to initiate the download of the operating system the user chose.

If you have an OS X Mavericks-capable machine, we would recommend upgrading to OS X Mavericks, as it’s free and adds all of the features OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion do, and more. These downloads on Apple's Web site are intended for older machines that OS X Mavericks does not support.

Sources: Techcrunch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

As theres that one person that is still running Mac OS 9....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Um... why? Aren't Snow Leopard machines compatible? I mean, who would choose a paid upgrade over a free one, especially if it's Lion?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Let's talk/touch on how it's plagued with bugs. Mavericks is the worst OS to date IMHO.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
    Let's talk/touch on how it's plagued with bugs. Mavericks is the worst OS to date IMHO.
    The power saving features are great. But yes, too many bugs. I have a solid state hard drive that's 4 years old now. It never lagged and now it seams it can't keep up. Oh and also, I like to have my dock on the left and they changed it from black to white. I HATE THE WHITE DOCK!!! It's more difficult to see the app icons and also hurts my eyes more. Apple is going a little but too overboard with design lately. Also, mavericks could've used another month of beta. How come mavericks only had 7 betas, when 10.8.5 had 9 betas by itself? Seems like there's something wrong with this picture.

I like where apple is going with mavericks, but like iOS 7. It was released too soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mahboi View Post
    Um... why? Aren't Snow Leopard machines compatible? I mean, who would choose a paid upgrade over a free one, especially if it's Lion?
    Mac Pro 1,1 is not compatible. It has a 32bit EFI. Lion is the last supported OS on it. That doesn't mean it can't run Mavericks though. My Mac Pro 1,1 runs Mavericks great using Chameleon. Lion sucked though, it would index my drive every time I booted for like 20mins.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,975 Times in 771 Posts

^hacker right there, lol

mac pro 1,1 users were totally screwed by Apple
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My white 13 MacBook 4,1 can't. I think the video card was not good enough for Mountain Lion and thus Mavericks. But I can goto Lion but I don't think its worth it it sounds like I'm better off on Snow Leopard anyway

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LrdBane View Post
    My white 13 MacBook 4,1 can't. I think the video card was not good enough for Mountain Lion and thus Mavericks. But I can goto Lion but I don't think its worth it it sounds like I'm better off on Snow Leopard anyway
    I think you can run Mt. Lion using a tool called Mountain Lion Post Factor. Look it up on the Mac Rumors forums. It is made by HackerWayne. You are correct that there aren't any 64bit kext for your graphics.