+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adoption Rate of Apple's New OS X Mavericks At Around 8% in First 24 Hours

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
On Tuesday, Apple launched OS X Mavericks , the long-awaited operating system update for Apple’s Mac lineup. Apple made the upgrade free for all Mac users running OS X Snow
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Adoption Rate of Apple's New OS X Mavericks At Around 8% in First 24 Hours

On Tuesday, Apple launched OS X Mavericks, the long-awaited operating system update for Apple’s Mac lineup. Apple made the upgrade free for all Mac users running OS X Snow Leopard and later, unlike previous updates, in which users could only update if they bought it via the Mac App Store and were on the latest operating system prior to the update.

GoSquared now has a handy little Web page that is tracking OS X Mavericks Web traffic in real time. The Web site includes a meter that shows the current traffic from the last hour, the last 6 hours, and the last day. The tracker is currently reading that within the last day OS X Mavericks has neared about 8% of Mac OS Web traffic. It seems to move between 7-8% each time to refresh the page, indicating that there is a steady adoption rate somewhere in between.

As MacRumors notes, GoSquared is able to measure traffic from over 40,000 Web sites.

OS X Mavericks is making a significant footprint in OS X usage. An 8% adoption rate isn’t horribly bad for less than 24 hours since the release. It’s a rather large download, so many people weren’t able to download it yesterday and may be putting it off for a later date. Apple has definitely extended its reach to users by allowing those on OS X Snow Leopard and later to install the update for free, so we expect to see these numbers begin to climb steadily.

If you haven't upgraded to OS X Mavericks already, it's available for free in the Mac App Store.

Sources: GoSquared via MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-23-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks

I updated my Hackintosh last night.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I updated mine yesterday. Took almost 2 hours but sure was worth it. I love Mavericks. It's absolutely amazing.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course it is. Its free.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There's one thing that *really* pisses me off about Mavericks, and that's its sound ducking whenever you're in a FaceTime call. It turns the volume of EVERYTHING down except for the call, giving you absolutely NO control whatsoever over the feature. Don't see how this can be annoying? Allow me to paint a few scenarios.

---

*On a FaceTime call*
    "Oh, hey! Check out this video!"
    *Sends link*
    "I can't hear it. -_-"

*On FaceTime call*
    "Check out the progress we've made on this song."
    *Sends file*
    "I can't hear it. -_-"

And, the one I find myself in a lot, your significant other and you have conflicting traveling schedules, so you often find yourself having to FaceTime a lot just to see each other.

*On FaceTime call*
    "Hey, wanna watch a movie?"
    "Sure!"
    "... Neither of us can hear it. -_-"

---

I don't see why Apple even added this "feature." Were people complaining that their YouTube videos were too loud during their FaceTime calls? I feel like they overlooked the fundamental factor that the volumes of 99% of the things we do can be adjusted on their own anyway, so sound ducking is simply NOT NECESSARY.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophxr For This Useful Post:

*T* (10-23-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

I installed it on my mbp

*T*
    Thanks

I hate how the writers always try to make statistics that go against apple seem less bad than they are. Seriously, can't you just write from a neutral perspective? Why is that not possible for you? I'm not a fanboy: it's not going to ruin my day if the adoption rate isn't 100%. Your opinion does not belong in an article.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

I would love mavericks but my Mac is too old I only use mine for mild photoshop and editing and internet

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Waited until two in the morning got it almost downloaded then it stopped. Was finally able to finish the download this morning. Installed on my mbp.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Still has the same stupid power management issues that Mountain lion had, my MBP just kept going to sleep on its own while doing something, I tried downloading a big file and then streaming and yet again it doesn't keep itself awake. Had to go back to lion again and everything works how it should again. I'm glad it was free this time cos last time I wasted the money on ML.