+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Websites Begin to Activate Safari Push Notifications Ahead of OS X Mavericks Release

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Websites Begin to Activate Safari Push Notifications Ahead of OS X Mavericks Release

Two mainstream websites have apparently activated push notifications for Safari, which is a new feature built into Apple’s upcoming OS X 10.9 Mavericks that allows sites to send out updates to Mac users via the web. Originally spotted by the folks over at MacRumors, the NBA site and The New York Times site have both activated support for the feature but have yet to send out any notifications. Other sites are expected to follow suit once Apple officially releases Mavericks to the public, which should be coming soon as the company is widely expected to announce the new operating system alongside the next-gen iPads at a special event later today.

For those of you who didn’t know, the Safari push notification service is one of the many new additions Mavericks will bring to OS X. The system apparently works similarly to app notifications found in OS X Mail, which displays a pop-up message box when a new message is received. For the web-based version, alerts and banners will contain a website’s icon, a short text message and a clickable hyperlink. Much like Notification Center in iOS, users will be able to receive messages when Safari isn’t running.

As of right now, OS X Mountain Lion only supports app notifications which are accessible from the Notification Center. Mavericks will for the first time bring web-routed notifications to Apple’s desktop OS.

As mentioned before, Apple is expected to announce a firm availability date for OS X 10.9 Mavericks at its media event at the Yerba Buena Center later today. The new operating system will likely be ready for sale shortly thereafter.

Source: NBA, The New York Times via MacRumors

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 710 Posts

Sounds like something I'd switch off, return of pop ups?

Thanks

I could see this being useful in some instances.

I'm just hoping that my GM 13A598 install will be easily updated once it is available publicly.