Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Millennial Media Says iOS 7 Adoption is Slower than iOS 6

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Millennial Media Says iOS 7 Adoption is Slower than iOS 6

Despite the rampant popularity of iOS 7 and data from Chitika indicating that users are rushing to get their devices upgraded, a new report from mobile advertising giant Millennial Media is presenting another side of the overall story.

On Friday, MM reported that advertising impressions from iOS 7-powered devices grew by 185% every day during the first week of iOS 7's availability. According to historical data cited by the ad network, this growth lags behind the adoption rate logged by iOS 6 during its first full week of availability.

"We looked back at the first week of growth for iOS 6 and saw that it grew an average of 264 percent daily," reveals Matt Gillis, EVP of Global Product and Platform at Millennial Media.

What's more, Millennial Media reports, while the release day impressions for iOS 6 and iOS 7 were similar, once the release was seven days out, "iOS 6 saw significantly more adoption, and was at 35 percent of our total iOS impressions, compared to the 16 percent for iOS 7."

Source: Millennial Media

iPhone? More like MyPhone ridingsupreme's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd like to know the current number of devices with cydia.

Thanks

Ask Saurik^^ Its usually in the low millions last I heard. As for the post, I guess its been adopted slower cause its the biggest change that we've seen in iOS since its creation. Im sure there are many hesitant users.

This is how iPhone users copy android. We want to be fragmented too!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    This is how iPhone users copy android. We want to be fragmented too!
    since you brought it up. iOS is already fragmented. not all iDevices can run the latest firmware AND iPhones on one carrier has more capabilities than the same phone on another carrier.

my son's iPod 4G cannot get iOS 7, not that he wants it but if he did Id have to buy him an entirely new device, for what? to get motion sickness from using it and or a screwed up gyroscope or battery that gets hot and dies quickly?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

ridingsupreme (10-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    since you brought it up. iOS is already fragmented. not all iDevices can run the latest firmware AND iPhones on one carrier has more capabilities than the same phone on another carrier.

my son's iPod 4G cannot get iOS 7, not that he wants it but if he did Id have to buy him an entirely new device, for what? to get motion sickness from using it and or a screwed up gyroscope or battery that gets hot and dies quickly?
    There's so much fail here.... Older devices cannot run versions of IOS that are not compatible. This is not fragmentation, it's reality.

The Gyroscope issue is not impacting older devices on IOS7. Carrier restrictions are not device fragmentation.
    All same model phones have the same capabilities, but one carrier my block tethering by default. ..

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drgonz0 For This Useful Post:

emerica6708 (10-18-2013), Jokadaking (10-18-2013), PokemonDesigner (10-18-2013)

I'm not sure where your information source is but the iPod Touch 5 is actually one of the most reliable iDevices with that size screen. Best battery life, best gyroscope, and best heat protection. The iPhone 5C and 5S have problems with gyroscopes and decent batteries as well. Heat, on the other hand, I don't know much about with the new phones. You are clearly a flawed faildroid user who knows little to nothing about iDevices.

Didn't we read how ios7 is the quickest firmware for anyone that upgrade?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado1987 For This Useful Post:

PokemonDesigner (10-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Didn't we read how ios7 is the quickest firmware for anyone that upgrade?
    I was thinking that too. But some idiot got me side tracked. I'm sure they said several times it was the fastest adopted. This is the first time it was slow. Lol

Really you wanted the 3GS to be iOS7 compatible? You do know the iPhone 4 was released in 2010 and it is still supported with the latest and greatest firmware. Sure, certain features have hardware requirements...but are you really going to complain that an iPhone 4 doesn't have a fingerprint scanner?

There might be a reason your son's iPod touch may be at a lower pricepoint than an iPhone. Had you purchased him the iPhone instead you wouldn't have this problem.

Wow, just wow!!! Nobody cares about you having to buy your kid a newer device. Besides you don't need a newer device as your iPT4 is still fully useable at least until the apps and games he uses eventually get updated to iOS 7+ only. But even then the AppStore knows you're on an older device and if an app or games latest version is iOS 7+ the AppStore will now automatically download the last version compatible with your current iOS version. So a few iOS 7 only features may be missing but you can still access a version that will work on your device and iOS version.
    Can Google Play do that??

And unlike most Android phones and tablets iOS is capable of running on 5 models of past and current iPhones. Only the iPod Touch 5, because the hardware in the iPod Touch 4 wasn't even as good as the iPhone 4. All iPads except the 1st iPad which didn't even support iOS 6 and is stuck at iOS 5.1.1 which isn't a big deal.

Most Android handsets even brand new models aren't running or shipped with the most current Android version and a lot are shipping brand new with an OS 2 or 3+ versions behind the current Android Release. Add to that mess the fact the every device maker adds a ton of custom software and skinning to their Android OS and the fragmentation of Android Versions gets exponentially worse.

I've had friends and family who had a brand new Android phone and it took over a year for the manufacturer to update their MOLESTED Android Base to a more current version so consumers could get the latest features added to the Newer Android Release.

In stark contrast my family with iPhones has been able to update to at least 3 Major iOS Versions from where they've started. Best example is the 3GS which shipped with iOS 3.0 and was able to update to iOS 4.x, iOS 5.x, and even the latest iOS 6.1.3 back in March of this year.

Can you say that about anything more than a small minority of Android phones or tablets?? I'm hard pressed to think of an Android device that's been able to use 4 different versions of Android in its existence. Can you even name one that has supported more than 3 Major Revisions of Android and Minor X.___ Revisions don't count.

So jOnGarrett Mr. Android Fanboy, can you name one single Non-Google Flagship Device that has had support for at least 3 Major Revisions of Android???

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zrevai For This Useful Post:

hogcia (10-18-2013), Silverado1987 (10-18-2013), ThatOneProfile (10-18-2013)

Lol everyone's jimmies are rustled.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Hard to compare when many people are still waiting for their new devices due to no preorder and a slow supply chain. Adoption numbers will go up as people get new devices and again when the ios7 jailbreak is released.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Hard to compare when many people are still waiting for their new devices due to no preorder and a slow supply chain. Adoption numbers will go up as people get new devices and again when the ios7 jailbreak is released.
    Yea, especially when this is comparing advertising impressions... That doesn't sound like adoption rates to me...

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Ask Saurik^^ Its usually in the low millions last I heard. As for the post, I guess its been adopted slower cause its the biggest change that we've seen in iOS since its creation. Im sure there are many hesitant users.
    For Ios 6 you didn't need to have the latest Iphone 4S. Lots having problems with iOs 7 on their iphone4's.
    I'm guessing its a buggy software as of now. iphone 4s and above having little problems with iOs7...

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    For Ios 6 you didn't need to have the latest Iphone 4S. Lots having problems with iOs 7 on their iphone4's.
    I'm guessing its a buggy software as of now. iphone 4s and above having little problems with iOs7...
    It's not any different than the iPhone 3G and iOS 4. Yes the iPhone 3G could install iOS 4, No not all new features would work and it made your iPhone slow as heck and crash constantly. But you could install iOS 4 though with most new features such as multitasking and wallpaper disabled by Apple because they were too power/CPU hungry. You could jailbreak your iPhone 3G and force the features on but the hardware just wasn't capable of running everything smoothly. Though the iPhone 3GS worked fairly well on iOS 4, but had a lot of issues itself with iOS 6.

Bottom line is Apple kept minimal support of the old hardware for at least 3 major updates to iOS. iPhone 3G could run iOS 2.x, 3.x, and 4 up to 4.2.1; iPhone 3GS could run iOS 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, and 6.x up to the last release of 6.1.3. Which is impressive considering age of hardware!!!

Also something I've learned is that updating software is a big mistake. I always like to do a clean install when updating to major software revision. My mom updated her iPhone 4 to iOS 6 via software update and it really was a mess. A simple restore and her iPhone is back to being snappy.

Oddly enough I learned this playing around with android installs...