Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Clues Suggest New Apple TV Coming Next Week

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Clues Suggest New Apple TV Coming Next Month

This week, Apple indicated in the media invites sent out ahead of next Tuesday's press event that the company has a lot more to cover before 2013 comes to an end.

But perhaps Tuesday's media spectacle won't be limited to iPads or even MacBook Pros. If new reports coming to light from Europe today prove accurate, we may see a refreshed Apple TV next week too.

"Refreshed Apple TV hardware could be available as early as next week, if we trust hints on Amazon’s German and French websites," Gigaom reports. "Both sites briefly listed the current-generation Apple TV as unavailable this week, stating that they’d be able to ship the device again on October 23."

Given that Apple hasn't updated the hardware of its set top box since March of 2012, to say that a refresh is "long overdue" is definitely a monumental understatement.

Whether the news out of Europe is a coincidence or something more is yet to be seen. We may have to wait until next Tuesday to find out for sure.

Sources: Gigaom, Apple Insider

Thanks

Wonder whats going to change? So far the first 3 have not changed much at all. Physically from the first yes but the capabilities of 2nd and 3 gen are identical after updates.

Wonder whats going to change? So far the first 3 have not changed much at all. Physically from the first yes but the capabilities of 2nd and 3 gen are identical after updates.
    While iOS may function essentially the same on all three ATV models, they each have ever increasing power packed into that little black box form factor.

The 1st Gen Apple TV had local storage used to sync music/movies from iTunes just like an iPod for your TV. The 1st Apple TV was actually running a heavily modified version of OS X Tiger 10.4.7 and had an Intel Pentium M 1.0GHz CPU with 256MB DDR2 RAM and had an NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 GPU.

The 2nd and 3rd Apple TV has only 8GB of Flash Storage which is not usable as media storage. The reason was it could stream your content from you Mac or PC running iTunes. Now it can stream directly from iCloud or your Mac/PC running iTunes.

People seem to always think there's only two versions of the little black box, ATV2 & ATV3, but there's actually 3 different models as listed below with each models specs below:

September 2010
    ATV2 (A1378) = A4 Processor, GPU PowerVR SGX535, 256MB RAM, and is only 720P

March 2012
    ATV3 (A1427) = A5 Processor, GPU PowerVR SGX543MP2, 512MB RAM, and is Full 1080P

March 2013
    ATV3 (A1469) = A5 Processor, GPU PowerVR SGX543MP4, 512MB RAM, and is Full 1080P

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Not really the same because you can JB the 2nd gen but the 3rd gen will do 1080P

Quote Originally Posted by i3exa View Post
    Not really the same because you can JB the 2nd gen but the 3rd gen will do 1080P
    ATV2 is only jailbreakable because it has the A4 SoC.

ATV3 isn't jailbreakable because the last few jailbreaks used the Backup/Restore of user data to copy the jailbreak payload onto A5+ devices (iPhone 4S, & 5, iPad 2, 3, 4, iPod Touch 5). But since there is no Backup/Restore on ATV at all those jailbreaks won't work unless someone finds a BootRom Exploit in the A5 and newer chips the ATV3 may never be jailbroken.

The biggest changes I want to see are all software.

First, I'm not sure why Netflix sometimes takes so long to load, but it only happens on my Apple TV. Not a huge issue, but just annoying sometimes. Sure beats commercials anyway.

Second, I want to be able to hide apps I won't/can't use, or at least put them away in a folder. I know Apple likes to keep apps out there, but if I don't have Cable, there's no need to make me stare at and navigate around an app icon that requires a cable account I'll never use!

Now, for wishlist items I would really like to see pretty much what everyone else wants: 3rd party apps and a gaming controller! Also, a button that will let me mirror my iMac screen to my Apple TV without me having to physically go upstairs to my iMac to make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    The biggest changes I want to see are all software.

First, I'm not sure why Netflix sometimes takes so long to load, but it only happens on my Apple TV. Not a huge issue, but just annoying sometimes. Sure beats commercials anyway.

Second, I want to be able to hide apps I won't/can't use, or at least put them away in a folder. I know Apple likes to keep apps out there, but if I don't have Cable, there's no need to make me stare at and navigate around an app icon that requires a cable account I'll never use!

Now, for wishlist items I would really like to see pretty much what everyone else wants: 3rd party apps and a gaming controller! Also, a button that will let me mirror my iMac screen to my Apple TV without me having to physically go upstairs to my iMac to make it happen!
    You already can hide apps you don't use. Go to settings and it's under parental controls or restrictions one. My Netflix never takes very long...could be your internet.

I personally would love to see an embedded iSight Camera that allows you to do FaceTime calls on the ATV itself, and Siri included.

I'm hoping for 3D support and iTunes Extras functionality. Perhaps Siri control. 3D support is a long shot, but I can't for the life of me fathom why iTunes Extras aren't accessible from Apple TV. They're just this side of worthless being limited to viewing on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
    I'm hoping for 3D support and iTunes Extras functionality. Perhaps Siri control. 3D support is a long shot, but I can't for the life of me fathom why iTunes Extras aren't accessible from Apple TV. They're just this side of worthless being limited to viewing on the computer.
    Uh, what kind of 3D support could you possibly get when no one releases any downlladable 3D mlvie?

How big would the file size even be on a 3D Digital Copy?? Especially when an SD version is 600MB-2GB and HD is 1.5GB-5GB for one movie!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Wonder if this new Apple TV going to support 4K resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderguy84 View Post
    Uh, what kind of 3D support could you possibly get when no one releases any downlladable 3D mlvie?
    Ummm Yes they do...Easy to download and If your ATV2 is jailbroken you can also stream 3D SBS movies.