Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Judge Assigns Antitrust Monitor to Watch Over Apple's E-Books Business

Thanks

Default Judge Assigns Antitrust Monitor to Watch Over Apple's E-Books Business

New York Judge Denise Cote recently assigned Apple a third-party monitor to ensure compliance with federal antitrust laws. For those of you who didn’t know, this was a result of the US Department of Justice’s successful case against the company over e-book price fixing. The judge’s order named former DOJ Inspector General and federal prosecutor Michael Bromwich as an External Monitor at Apple, a position he will keep for a period of two years.

Prior to his role at the DOJ, Bromwich most recently served as the first director of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, a body created in response to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Another thing to note is that Bromwich served as an independent monitor to the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia in 2002 and was one of three federal lawyers in the US case against Oliver North.

As pointed out by CNET, the two-year term is far less than the five-year injunction Apple was handed as part of the July ruling. The Cupertino California company is currently barred from joining in any “most-favored-nation” clauses with e-book publishers as well as any content provider. For its part, Apple said during the post-trial proceedings that an external monitor was unnecessary and would cause an undue burden for the company, but Judge Cote disagreed, saying that Bromwich’s presence is a result of “blatant” antitrust violations.

For those of you who didn’t know, in July, Apple was found guilty of colluding with five major book publishers to fix the price of e-books sold on the iBookstore. When handing down her ruling, Judge Cote promised a “light” injunction against Apple’s business. Both parties made concessions on the final terms for a remedy, with Apple agreeing to stagger negotiations with book publishers, while the DOJ trimmed its injunction demand from ten years to five.

Source: CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry all im thinking about is who pays this guys wage? I know its certainly not apple. Which means its us tax payers...