+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pandora Exec Taking iTunes Radio 'Very Seriously'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Pandora CFO Mike Herring sounds worried. What about? Apple's new iTunes Radio platform, a huge and foreboding challenge to Pandora's Internet radio empire. "We take them very seriously and do
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Pandora Exec Taking iTunes Radio 'Very Seriously'

Pandora CFO Mike Herring sounds worried. What about? Apple's new iTunes Radio platform, a huge and foreboding challenge to Pandora's Internet radio empire.

"We take them very seriously and do see them as a credible threat," Herring admits in a new interview.

Without question, the support Apple has received from record labels and music publishers has been impressive and its bolstered the weight of iTunes Radio right out of the gates.

"Keep in mind there have been lots of credible threats over the years, from startups to Microsoft to Google, to Apple and Twitter this year," Herring continues. "We absolutely see iTunes as a competitive option out there, but we think we are a great service that does this better than anybody else."

Ultimately, Apple is poised for a global showdown with Pandora, as both platforms now seem destined to launch their competing services in dozens of additional nations in the coming years.

To read the full interview with Mike Herring, click here.

Source: CNET

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

meh so far I haven't gotten intrusive ads so....... I would take apples > pandora

Thanks

I don't use Pandora as they NEVER play what I want to hear. They may play the genre but then I have to wait for 60 songs to pass before I hear the ONE i want. The Apple offering has a better UI and more options IMHO.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    meh so far I haven't gotten intrusive ads so....... I would take apples > pandora
    That does get annoying.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I don't use Pandora as they NEVER play what I want to hear. They may play the genre but then I have to wait for 60 songs to pass before I hear the ONE i want. The Apple offering has a better UI and more options IMHO.
    Try creating a stations from specific bands. I find Pandora's predictions to be pretty good usually. I don't try stations from genres very often because I get results like yours. I agree Apple's looks and functions better otherwise, at least so far.

Why does nobody mention Slacker in all the internet radio talk? It's always Pandora or Spotify or Rdio. I find Slacker to be superior to all of them, especially when you subscribe to premium. You can play specific songs, create playlists, and sync custom stations and playlists to your phone for offline listening. Not to mention unlimited skips for subscribers. The limited skips for Pandora and iTunes radio even if you subscribe or have iTunes Match is the deal breaker for me. I'll let my Pandora subscription go for iTunes Radio, but until they are as feature rich as Slacker it will stay my internet radio service of choice. I've also tried Spotify's subscription service and it has many of the same features of Slacker, but I find Slacker much more user friendly.

Also, I don't like that you have to have iTunes Match turned on on your phone to get rid of the ads. Turning on iTunes Match disables music sync to the device. I like having my library synced for offline listening. iTunes Radio should be able to check your Apple ID to see if you have iTunes Match without needing it turned on on your device.
    Last edited by claustin; 10-16-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks

One thing and one thing only that makes iTunes Radio absolutely unlistenable. EDITED MUSIC. Are they serious? If I could smack the piss out of whoever's idea this was, I would leave them a hand print they would never forget.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Pandora skip hack is a must if ur jail broken and using pandora then u don't get the ads. I like iTunes Radio it's nice but I have used pandora for years so it pretty much has my likes down pack. Although I do use both on my iphone 5S. If iTunes Radio starts playing songs I don't want to hear and am out of skips I switch to pandora and play the specific band station I have on both and listen to different songs and vice versa

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

iTunes Radio doesn't work well for me, half the time it won't let me make new stations. Pandora just needs a new facelift.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    Pandora skip hack is a must if ur jail broken and using pandora then u don't get the ads. I like iTunes Radio it's nice but I have used pandora for years so it pretty much has my likes down pack. Although I do use both on my iphone 5S. If iTunes Radio starts playing songs I don't want to hear and am out of skips I switch to pandora and play the specific band station I have on both and listen to different songs and vice versa
    +1 on the skip hack but the download option it self is awesome.

My iPhone is a Part of Me slim.jim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    One thing and one thing only that makes iTunes Radio absolutely unlistenable. EDITED MUSIC. Are they serious? If I could smack the piss out of whoever's idea this was, I would leave them a hand print they would never forget.
    You just have to turn on explicit tracks:

http://m.tuaw.com/2013/09/19/tuaw-ti...ideo-tutorial/

Once on there will be a E inside a box next to the track name.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Exactly. I love iTunes Radio (So far)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love iTunes Radio, ads aren't so intrusive, they play what I like to here and I find the slider for popular to discovery mode a very cool feature

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justinf1119 View Post
    I love iTunes Radio, ads aren't so intrusive, they play what I like to here and I find the slider for popular to discovery mode a very cool feature
    Hear not here

Green Apple
    Thanks

Open the music app, go to radio, start playing any station, click the info i at the top center, change the slider for "allow explicit lyrics", problem solved.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

I like itunes radio but Pandora offers so much more. ie Lyrics! artist info etc. BUT the ads on Pandora are too intrusive...

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    Pandora skips hack only worked for older versions of Pandora, I do not believe if you upgrade Pandora that it works.My wife never upgrades and her Pandora skips works great I upgrade my apps and when I upgraded Pandora skips no longer works. SECOND iphone 5s is not jailbroken yet so Pandora skips will not work on it at all!
    Last edited by Dranon; 10-17-2013 at 05:57 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you might wanna check your parental settings dude. i dropped my pandora subscription due to the price difference. $36 against $25

and iTunes match really works for me

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    With all due respect, if all you want is to hear one specific song, then you can find it on iTunes, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't (part of) the point of listening to the radio to listen to non-specific song selections that you don't have direct control over. If you want to control exactly what song you want to listen to, then you use a medic player. Or perhaps look up the song on Youtube and such. It's like watching regular television vs watching a DVD. Again, I mean no disrespect, it just sounds like you don't quite understand the concept of listening to the radio.