+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Valve demonstrates its Steam Controller which will be Compatible with Steam for Mac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Valve demonstrates its Steam Controller which will be Compatible with Steam for Mac

Valve recently released a video which demonstrates its recently announced Steam Controller, a handheld gaming controller that will eventually be compatible with several Steam games. The list of games that are soon to be supported include popular titles such as Portal, Counterstrike and Team Fortress. The company had the following to say regarding the Steam Controller:

The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam: past, present, and future. Even the older titles in the catalog and the ones which were not built with controller support. (We’ve fooled those older games into thinking they’re being played with a keyboard and mouse, but we’ve designed a gamepad that’s nothing like either one of those devices.) We think you’ll agree that we’re onto something with the Steam Controller
    Those of you who are interested in doing so can watch the video demonstration below:

The Steam Controller is said to include a touch screen in the center of the device with a pair of trackpads around the outside using “super-precise” haptic feedback and “dual linear resonant actuators” to deliver a range of force and vibration feedback sensations. The device is currently in beta and is primarily being designed to work with the Steam Machine set-top box. It is being said that it will also work with any PC version of Steam including Steam for Mac.

Are any of you excited of what’s to come?

Source: Valve (Official Site) (YouTube) via TUAW

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Meh, I think keyboard and mouse offer much better game control than a classic style controller. All the new touchscreens and such are nice, but I don't think they'll improve control over my keyboard/mouse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Meh, I think keyboard and mouse offer much better game control than a classic style controller. All the new touchscreens and such are nice, but I don't think they'll improve control over my keyboard/mouse.
    Only thing I sorta miss is the vibrations when explosions happen or when you're just plain shooting.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    This is not expected to be a replacement for mouse/keyboard. It's just supposed to make primarily mouse based games much more compatible and comfortable in the living room. Valve is trying to compete with current gen controllers, which currently are terrible when it comes to precision aiming.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally don't like the controller because it looks awkward to use. I'd much rather have physical analog sticks rather than a digitized one. I find that touch technology has its niche, but I feel that controllers would be the most comfortable if they stuck to buttons and joysticks