Results 1 to 9 of 9

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Bloomberg: BlackBerry Breakup is Possible

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,852
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

    Default Bloomberg: BlackBerry Breakup is Possible


    Breaking up may be hard to do, but it may be BlackBerry's only viable option to save what's left of this smartphone maker's sinking ship.

    According to sources close to the Canadian company, if the recently-reached deal with Fairfax Financial to go private doesn't materialize, BlackBerry may break up.

    BlackBerry Ltd. (BB) is more open to a breakup of the company amid concerns that Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. may be unable to line up funding or partners for a $4.7 billion buyout, a person with knowledge of the matter said.
    What we're told is that the companies recently approached by BlackBerry advisers to potentially get involved are said to be only interested in parts of the company.

    "A breakup would let parties bid for BlackBerry’s most valuable pieces, such as its patents or enterprise network," sources tell Bloomberg.

    “If you break up the company, you’re going to get more than the company is worth right now,” said Sachin Shah, a strategist in special situations and merger arbitrage. “Breaking it up sounds more appetizing for all involved."

    Source: BlackBerry

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,748
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 270 Times in 175 Posts

    Ouch BB! You should have made moves 5 years ago..when you were still somewhat relevant. Looks like its too little too late. Very sad how the once king of mobile communications is pretty much well...dead.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

    Dphillipds (10-10-2013)

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Ouch BB! You should have made moves 5 years ago..when you were still somewhat relevant. Looks like its too little too late. Very sad how the once king of mobile communications is pretty much well...dead.
    That just shows how fast paced the market is. BB was THE phone to have 5 years ago. People thought the iPhone was going to fail. Android wasn't really a public option. BB did the wrong thing in thinking that business's would never switch away from them, they should've made better products for the general public. Who knows, they may have killed the iPhone IF the would've appealed to the general public back then. I'm glad they didn't, I love iPhone. Although my iOS keeps crashing on my 5s. Hopefully Apple gets their crap together and doesn't make the same mistake BB did.

  5. #4
    Same could happen to Nokia if they insist on putting windows in their devices

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjarvis View Post
    Same could happen to Nokia if they insist on putting windows in their devices
    I think you missed the news that Microsoft is going to buy Nokia.

  7. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,266
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 146 Times in 124 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Ouch BB! You should have made moves 5 years ago..when you were still somewhat relevant. Looks like its too little too late. Very sad how the once king of mobile communications is pretty much well...dead.
    Yeah it's crazy, I don't know how they could see everyone moving in one direction and just sit there with their thumb up their butt making glorified email checking devices...I think they could have had a decent chuck of the smartphone market had they actually done something about it!

  8. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone DieselVexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    To much of a learning curve for me ever to like em. I want to think that email thingy and it having the status of the "It Phone" is what made it so attractive to the business world. Who seriously took a phone that started off as a music player as a real contender. The iphone was like a grass root phenomenon that shot through the stratosphere. I only bought the first one to be different. And everyone that played with it loved it. That's when I knew It was the end for all competition. So long BB. Can't say I'll miss you but can tell ya I knew it was coming years ago.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjarvis View Post
    Same could happen to Nokia if they insist on putting windows in their devices
    Sounds like you never actually used Windows on a phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by DieselVexx View Post
    To much of a learning curve for me ever to like em. I want to think that email thingy and it having the status of the "It Phone" is what made it so attractive to the business world. Who seriously took a phone that started off as a music player as a real contender. The iphone was like a grass root phenomenon that shot through the stratosphere. I only bought the first one to be different. And everyone that played with it loved it. That's when I knew It was the end for all competition. So long BB. Can't say I'll miss you but can tell ya I knew it was coming years ago.
    That "email thingy" was gold to companies, instant secure email communications.
    Last edited by Perceptum; 10-10-2013 at 02:31 PM.

  10. #9
    Dead and soon be gone. To bad that ignored the competition and now is payback time. BB was sure of their contract with various governments and big corporate and fail to keep up with the quick changes in mobility hardware/software. When they come out of the sleep it was already to late. I never liked BB anyway

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •