+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Domestic Mac Shipments Continue to Shrink

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Despite their ability to generate mammoth mounds of cash for Apple, Mac shipments aren't as healthy as they used to be in the United States. In fact, on Wednesday Gartner
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Domestic Mac Shipments Continue to Shrink

Despite their ability to generate mammoth mounds of cash for Apple, Mac shipments aren't as healthy as they used to be in the United States.

In fact, on Wednesday Gartner published new PC market tracking data and the health of the overall industry continues to decline.

Worldwide PC shipments totaled 80.3 million units in the third quarter of 2013, an 8.6 percent decline from the same period last year, Gartner reports.

This marks the sixth consecutive quarter of declining worldwide shipments.

For Apple in particular, preliminary U.S. PC vendor unit shipment estimates for 3Q13 put Apple down just over 2% from 3Q2012.

"The third quarter is often referred to as the 'back-to-school' quarter for PC sales, and sales this quarter dropped to their lowest volume since 2008," said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner. "Consumers' shift from PCs to tablets for daily content consumption continued to decrease the installed base of PCs both in mature as well as in emerging markets. A greater availability of inexpensive Android tablets attracted first-time consumers in emerging markets, and as supplementary devices in mature markets."

Source: Gartner

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 689 Posts

I wonder if Apple is going to figure out a way that we can perform iTunes sync with iPads as our computer
    Otherwise it still seems like you need to have some computer in your home maybe not multiple machines anymore

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nealh For This Useful Post:

ohthatguyagain (10-09-2013)

Thanks

They build them so well they last forever

5. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

ohthatguyagain (10-09-2013)

Thanks

Those ipads need a hell of a lot more memory before it will ever replace a real computer for me.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,075 Times in 799 Posts

iPads will never replace a REAL computer for me, because iOS is just too limited and the lack of grunt
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    I wonder if Apple is going to figure out a way that we can perform iTunes sync with iPads as our computer
    Otherwise it still seems like you need to have some computer in your home maybe not multiple machines anymore
    You don't really need to sync ever since iCloud.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

No way in hell my iPhone or iPad will replace my PC, at least not yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    No way in hell my iPhone or iPad will replace my PC, at least not yet.
    For many people out there an iPad is really all they need. Just a way to browse the net, do some shopping and a bit of entertainment.

What's Jailbreak? Brandonforcey's Avatar
    Thanks
    i absolutely love my MacBooks and iMacs and but since they removed the cd drive nobody wants to buy them.. I'm in need of a new macbook in a year or so and i don't no what ima do, there is no way I'm ever going back to crappy pc laptops they are terrible! and why should i buy a brand new macbook which costs even more now and then they want us to spend even more to get the cd drive which use to be included?!?!? i mean wtf! i no cd's and dvd's are becoming less used but we are not yet in the time where they are not needed any more such as the good ol' floppy disks we use to have lol. APPLE PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!!! at least for another 5 years then u can get rid of them again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonforcey View Post
    i absolutely love my MacBooks and iMacs and but since they removed the cd drive nobody wants to buy them.. I'm in need of a new macbook in a year or so and i don't no what ima do, there is no way I'm ever going back to crappy pc laptops they are terrible! and why should i buy a brand new macbook which costs even more now and then they want us to spend even more to get the cd drive which use to be included?!?!? i mean wtf! i no cd's and dvd's are becoming less used but we are not yet in the time where they are not needed any more such as the good ol' floppy disks we use to have lol. APPLE PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!!! at least for another 5 years then u can get rid of them again.
    Do you need a CD or DVD drive all the time? Just buy a usb connected drive and leave it at home. There really is no need for a drive anymore since almost all software can be downloaded on line. You have to pay extra to get a CD/DVD of software from most companies now. I keep all of my software on a portable hdd. If I need something more portable I put it on a thumb drive. The only thing I burn now is 3D Blu-ray ISO's so I can watch them on my TV.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 689 Posts

I have several dvd burners in usb enclosures from several years ago and dont need to buy one, but I agree until they start putting software on sd cards or thumb drives it can be a pain to go get the drive and use it.

I have to admit, I could careless there was no dvd/cd drive on my rMBP. I prefer the smaller footprint. It would have been cool if they included a superdrive as a part of the cost of the rMBP(but that is not Apple's way...everything ala carte)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brandonforcey View Post
    Apple's prices haven't changed over the years. The units change but the prices more or less remain the same.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    I have several dvd burners in usb enclosures from several years ago and dont need to buy one, but I agree until they start putting software on sd cards or thumb drives it can be a pain to go get the drive and use it.

I have to admit, I could careless there was no dvd/cd drive on my rMBP. I prefer the smaller footprint. It would have been cool if they included a superdrive as a part of the cost of the rMBP(but that is not Apple's way...everything ala carte)
    Just make an image of the CD/DVD and store it in the cloud, then it is always available with a quick download.

Banned
    Thanks

Id hate to see a world without laptops and desktops. I love my mobile gadgets but they don't come anywhere near what I can do with my PC.