+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beats Prepares a Music Subscription App said to compete with iTunes Radio

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX Exactly right.., Thaz! I'm an audio pro 30 years runnin'.. And you explained it right.. Though some of the points you're making both you and Jon
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Exactly right.., Thaz! I'm an audio pro 30 years runnin'.. And you explained it right.. Though some of the points you're making both you and Jon are making equally. You're just saying the same thing differently .
    Thanx, man! I, too, agree that JonG has 'some' things right but I don't understand where he's getting his info from.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,531 Times in 4,320 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Thanx, man! I, too, agree that JonG has 'some' things right but I don't understand where he's getting his info from.
    There are many "dual" speaker systems in headphone forms these days -- even 2-speaker 30+" TV's that "emulate" 5.1 surround by taking the material that would route to the rear speakers and flipping it "out of phase" and then then adding the out of phase channel data back into the stereo mix.. This effect is all done internal and in real time and does create an effect in even 2-speaker systems. You will swear you're hearing some audio info emanating from a wider position. Not BEHIND you - but wider. All new large screen TV's have this decoding of 5.1 built in and you need no 5.1 speaker set to hear the effect. This auto " step down" of sorts from 5.1 to stereo is also in the iPhone and most Samsung smart phones. And can be heard in the earbuds.

So Jon's flat wrong on the fact that any Samsung phone sounds better than iPhone. Both phone hardwares have this ability.

But where he's right is that 5.1 is discernible and hearable in 2-speaker systems.

Even the sub channel has the phase messed around with to emulate an extended bottom. You'd be surprised what we engineers and producers can "fake" for you.. ..

Like here's one little industry secret that may ruin your TV watching experience for the rest of your life. I'm sorry. But "every single word" of a television sitcom or movie's dialogue is re-recorded in the studio after the scenes are shot. Not a word of it is live. Now that you know that and you watch TV you'll notice their lips not lining up with the audio a lot more. Sorry to let the cat out of the bag. But it had to be done.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 10-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

But where he's right is that 5.1 is discernible and hearable in 2-speaker systems.
    If you are playing back a movie with true 5.1 audio and are using a receiver set to 5.1 with only two FL/FR speakers hooked up to it then you will only here background noises because that is how the signal is processed. When you add then center channel you will hear voices and adding the RL/RR speakers you will hear the sounds when something happens "behind" you. While the TV maybe able to decode 5.1 audio it down mixes it to stereo. Turning on "surround sound" on your tv just adds an echo and in my opinion it sounds awful.

Like here's one little industry secret that may ruin your TV watching experience for the rest of your life. I'm sorry. But "every single word" of a television sitcom or movie's dialogue is re-recorded in the studio after the scenes are shot. Not a word of it is live. Now that you know that and you watch TV you'll notice their lips not lining up with the audio a lot more. Sorry to let the cat out of the bag. But it had to be done.
    I don't know about that.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 10-09-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,531 Times in 4,320 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    If you are playing back a movie with true 5.1 audio and are using a receiver set to 5.1 with only two FL/FR speakers hooked up to it then you will only here background noises because that is how the signal is processed. When you add then center channel you will hear voices and adding the RL/RR speakers you will hear the sounds when something happens "behind" you. While the TV maybe able to decode 5.1 audio it down mixes it to stereo. Turning on "surround sound" on your tv just adds an echo and in my opinion it sounds awful.
    Thanks, Slim.. Though I don't need your agreement on a topic I do for my living, bro. I assure you, what I've said is 100% correct.. The 5.1 is discernible even in iPhone earbuds. I agree - it's HARDLY true 5.1.. But there's a big different between the 'emulated' stereo bump down of the 5.1 (often called "surround emulation") and a plain old stereo mix. BIG difference. Whether you like the effect or not - is a personal taste thing.. But there is a 'big' hearable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX
    But "every single word" of a television sitcom or movie's dialogue is re-recorded in the studio after the scenes are shot. Not a word of it is live.
    I don't know about that.
    Again - I don't need your agreement or not - it's a fact.. All TV (non-news) and Movie audio is redubbed in studio. I work with the actors in my job... LOL!!
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 10-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

iPhone? More like MyPhone crouching's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    you obviously don't know what 5.1 means (the S4 supports 7.1 by the way) it means that It will support 5 speakers plus a sub woofer. my HTC One has 2 speakers but I play music from it with additional speakers and a woofer and the sound is superior to anything apple has to offer.

my HP Envy has dual speakers and a sub woofer built in...again, superior to anything offered by apple.

instead of sitting there being jealous, just ditch apple and get something better--there's plenty out there. Free your mind, your #ss will follow.

I don't know if beats supports 5.1 or not buy my HTC One does and the S4 supports 7.1 Ive plugged my iPhone (when I had one) into the same speaker set up that now plug my One and HP Envy into and there's simply no comparison whatsoever.

The iPhone sounds like Im still listening through earbuds--cheap ones at that. the Envy and One fill the room with a deep and rich sound., sounds I cant even hear on an iPhone.

I listen to Cradle of Filth mostly, they have a wide range of sound and you just cant hear it all on an iDevice.

In addition, beats earphones an iPhone don't sound nearly as good as beats earphones on the HTC One. and that's not opinion, that's fact.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12