+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung's Galaxy Gear Ad Gets Praised, Copies Apple's iPhone Ad from 2007

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung's Galaxy Gear Ad Gets Praised, Copies Apple's iPhone Ad from 2007

Many critics have broadly panned Samsung’s initial efforts to deliver a Galaxy Gear “smart watch,” and many people have acknowledged its product’s commercial, which ironically is closely patterned after an ad Apple commissioned at the introduction of the original iPhone in 2007. Brad Reed of BGR wrote the following about the ad:

Samsung's Galaxy Gear ad is cooler than the actual watch," noting that "critics may have savaged Samsung's first Galaxy Gear smartwatch but that hasn't stopped the company's crack marketing team from churning out a terrific ad that's much cleverer than the device itself.
    Devindra Hardawar of Venture Beat similarly observed the following regarding the ad:

Galaxy Gear commercials are brilliant ads for a terrible product," while Steve Kovach mused in his Business Insider blog that "the Galaxy Gear, may be getting poor reviews, but the commercials for the gadget are pretty sweet.
    As some of you may know, Samsung’s Gear isn’t a futuristic wrist-phone like images from the TV shows and movies depicted in its commercial. Instead, it’s a $300 Bluetooth headset strapped to the wrist and outfitted with a camera and a display. The device currently requires a user to also carry a Note 3 phablet for it to work at all. As mentioned before, Samsung’s “terrific ad” is actually a copy of the “Hello” spot Apple debuted at the 2007 Oscars introducing the first iPhone as noted by Obama Pacman.

This year’s Apple ads including “Greetings” for the iPhone 5C represent a similar montage of global characters answering without the people in it being depicted as cartoons or celebrities. Obama Pacman also noted previous examples of Samsung which look to Apple for inspiration, including the virtually identical ads for its own version of the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 in 2011.

What do you think of the whole ordeal?

Source: BGR, BusinessInsider, Obama Pacman, Venture Beat

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Wow, holding a watch up to your head is so much easier than holding a phone up to your head. Wow.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Wow, holding a watch up to your head is so much easier than holding a phone up to your head. Wow.
    Haha I thought the same thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 2,048 Posts

Not surprised Samsung once again has copied Apple...they seriously lack innovation...hope the iWatch blows this gear outta the water!
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

Thanks

Can They Do Anything With Out Copying?!!!!

Thanks

Tested these at work for a day and it was much better than expected. Still not sure about it yet tho, I would need longer than 8hrs

Thanks

HAHA! What has Samsung done that would be considered "innovative" concerning cell phones? Now they jump on the "smartwatch" before anyone else. I guess they believe first to the line means first to cross the finish line. Once Apple drops their watch..will anyone even want this one?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 857 Posts

I bet Apple can do it better and cheaper. $300 can buy you a full-sized smartphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    HAHA! What has Samsung done that would be considered "innovative" concerning cell phones? Now they jump on the "smartwatch" before anyone else. I guess they believe first to the line means first to cross the finish line. Once Apple drops their watch..will anyone even want this one?
    Its really funny to call samsung uninnovative, in one breath and then the next criticise them for being the first to bring a new product class online. Its also not really fair to say samsung hasn't done innovative things with smart phones, anyone else doing things like amoled displays?, galaxy note sized devices? active digitizers on a phone? Infrared? and the slew of software features smart stay and smart scrolling, etc... yes I would agree that they don't usually execute these features quite as well as apple device execute their features, but samsung is DEFINITELY one of the most innovative companies producing phones today. Its almost unarguable.

Thanks

Good artists copy, great artists steal. But in this case, Samsung is just a crayon maker, not an artist.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Not surprised Samsung once again has copied Apple...they seriously lack innovation...hope the iWatch blows this gear outta the water!
    You're going to accuse Samsung of copying Apple even though they came out with a smart watch FIRST? In actuality, when Apple releases the iWatch it would be Apple that's copying Samsung.

Wow...the iCultists truly are delusional.

Green Apple
    Thanks

IF Apple has taken out hundreds of patents for it's so called iWatch and ANYONE has copied and produced a product containing one or more of these patents, then they have clearly copied Apple.

However, to date, I have only ever heard rumours and rumblings of a so called iWatch. Until this watch hits the market, then (save the above) NO ONE has copied anything!

IF, on the other hand Samsung or any one else has taken out patents before Apple and the so called iWatch suddenly appears on the market containing any of these patents then it will be Apple that has copied.

Of course if no patents have been taken out by anyone then all are free to copy as much as they like and shouldn't be hauled over the coals for it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    As some of you may know, Samsung’s Gear isn’t a futuristic wrist-phone like images from the TV shows and movies depicted in its commercial. Instead, it’s a $300 Bluetooth headset strapped to the wrist and outfitted with a camera and a display. The device currently requires a user to also carry a Note 3 phablet for it to work at all.
    How's the weather up there on your high horse?

If Apple materialise with an "iWatch" it won't be the futuristic device they will market it as either...it'll be a glorified iPod Nano without the iPod part.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 10-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why are all of these comment sections bashing left and right? Do any of you even realize that Apple's Macintosh desktop interface is a rip off of the one that Steve Jobs saw at Xerox ~20 years ago? In order to innovate, sometimes you have to rip off, except instead we call it improving upon previous ideas. People just start bashing and hating when the rip off comes a little too soon. Regardless, this isn't a rip off of Apple in any way. Except maybe the commercial. Which, to me it sounds like a "Haha, we got this one first, Apple." Rather than a "Uhm... Advertising campaign... advertising campaign... Oh, I know, let's rip off Apple." I do not like the Galaxy Gear, but I really don't like people that defend Apple with their own lives. Apple is not god, and if someone makes something better than Apple, they're not ripping off Apple, they're improving. Sometimes old stuff is obsolete.

I like Apple, I like iOS, I like Android, I'm okay with Samsung, although I do kinda think they're dumb sometimes. I own a Galaxy S4, I do not like the distribution of Android they use on their phones "TouchWiz." Therefore, I do not use this distribution.

Also, everyone is quick to forget Samsung actually made a really nice line of flip phones before iOS and Android came along. Now they make a pretty nice line of smart phones with a crappy OS. I saw that and said "Meh, it's just an OS, let me replace it with something I like." So I did. Let's see any of you do that with any iPhone newer than the 3G. Does Samsung necessarily support this? No, in fact my phone had a locked bootloader (Because of Verizon, but still). Is it easier and more feasible as well as practical on an Android-based device rather than an iPhone? Yes. Try running Android on an iPhone, it sucks, the iDroid team gave up. So did the Xi Team last I heard. However, CyanogenMod, which is based on Android, is better than TouchWiz (Which is based on Android). So I run it instead, and I get more features rather than less.

So many people look at something they've never explored in depth before and go "EWWWW. THAT IS SO DISGUSTING. I LOVE APPLE SO MUCH MORE, BALAHLHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH." Do any of you even know how Android works or what it really is?... Have any of you used Android on more than one phone? If you answered yes, you're allowed to stick to your opinion. If you answered no, try something before you bash it.

In my own defense,
    I like Apple. I like iOS.
    I like Google. I like Android.
    I'm okay with Samsung. I like their phones. I hate their OS with a passion (Their OS is not Android, it's TouchWiz, read into it. TouchWiz is Android-based, it's certainly not Android though, so I'm not being redundant.)

So, to wrap this all up, WHO CARES IF SOMEONE RIPPED SOMEONE ELSE OFF???!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?????????! ?!!

TELL ME, WHO CARES? WHY DOES IT MATTER???

IF THE RIP OFF IS SO HORRIBLE, SHOULDN'T IT BE JUST THAT? HORRIBLE? A FAILURE?

If a rip off is junk, then let it be junk and die on its own, you don't have to bash it. If a rip off is better and does well, then guess what? Usually, that means it IS better and the old version should screw off.
    Last edited by Quade321; 10-08-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Does their copying know no bounds??

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,587 Times in 6,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    It is if its a monster note 3!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha! When I first saw the commercial, I just knew it was an Apple teaser trailer of their "iwatch" seeing that the ad was by design, exactly like the first iPhone commercial...

Thanks

Here we go again! The usual bashing before you've even touched the device. You guys are so sad, I weep for you