+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Looks for a Veto for its Import Ban, Most Likely Won't Get One

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Looks for a Veto for its Import Ban, Most Likely Won't Get One

According to an ITC import ban, older models of Samsung smartphones will be banned as of 12:00 AM EST on October 8 unless the Obama administration vetoes the action as it did for Apple. The ban, which stems from August’s International Trade Commission determination that Samsung infringed two Apple patents isn’t expected to be vetoed by the executive branch according to Bloomberg. For those of you who didn’t know, a similar ITC ban on some of Apple’s iPad 2 and iPhone 4 devices was overturned in August.

The government has gone to great lengths to stress that the decision on whether to veto the ban will be made on the merits of the case rather than geopolitical interests. US Trade Representative Michael Froman said he made it clear to representatives from both Samsung and the government of South Korea that the outcome would have “nothing, zero, to do with the nationality of the parties involved.” In an August 28 letter to Froman, Samsung called the patents’ effect on the company’s handsets “trivial,” according to Law360, and said the ban was “neither fair nor equitable” since the patents in question “cover small, insignificant features of the complex electronic devices.” The South Korean electronics manufacturer ended up writing the following in their defense:

The world is watching how Samsung is treated by the United States in this 'smartphone war' and the administration has a significant interest in avoiding the perception of favoritism and protectionism toward U.S. companies.
    The ongoing legal battle between both Apple and Samsung continue, even as Samsung’s component division remains a major Apple supplier, with Apple accusing the South Korean electronics manufacturer of patent infringement and outright copying of devices designs and features. We’ll have to see what ends up happening going forward.

Source: Bloomberg, Law360

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

The ban will not be overturned. The patents in question are non-essential, yet Samsung chose to ignore them instead of pursuing an alternative. This is the result. And like every country that produces goods (geopolitics aside), Korea needs us more than we need them. They need us to buy their goods, not the other way around.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    The ban will not be overturned. The patents in question are non-essential, yet Samsung chose to ignore them instead of pursuing an alternative. This is the result. And like every country that produces goods (geopolitics aside), Korea needs us more than we need them. They need us to buy their goods, not the other way around.
    Agreed. Most people over there aren't likely to buy and iPhone for example.