+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Citi Fined $30M After Analysts Leaked Info on Apple's iPhone Supply Chain

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Citi Fined $30M After Analysts Leaked Info on Apple's iPhone Supply Chain

Citi has signed a consent order with the Massachusetts Secretary of State agreeing to pay $30 million after its analysts leaked information on Apple’s iPhone supply chain to a number of big clients including SAC Capital Advisors. Late last year, Citi’s method of covering Apple revolved around a “unique team approach,” with semiconductor analyst Glen Yeung, software analyst Walter Pritchard and hardware analyst Jim Suva sharing the duties. The team initially upgraded AAPL to a buy recommendation in late November but by December 17 the firm had cut its rating to neutral.

Citi explained the rating and target price cuts as stemming from “near-term supply chain orders” that cast doubt on iPhone 5 demand. Much like what most analyst firms do, Citi was estimating iPhone shipments based on production reports from suppliers, more specifically Hon Hai in this case.

A consent order released recently by Massachusetts Secretary of State William Galvin recently revealed that Yeung had received word on those production quotes nearly a week earlier and that another Taiwan-based Citi analyst had been slipping that information to select funds ahead of Citi’s reports. Among the clients who had been receiving advanced knowledge was SAC Capital, the hedge fund run by billionaire Steve Cohen. Both Cohen and SAC are now under investigation over insider trading allegations and Citi revelation stemmed from that process. SAC joined T. Rowe Price in selling off Apple stock ahead of the release of Citi’s actual report, according to Reuters.

The consent order quotes a number of emails between Citi analyst Kevin Chang and several personnel from SAC. Secretary Galvin said those emails “reveal this cozy culture which illustrates again that there are two types of customers; big ones and retail customers who often don’t receive this information.”

Galvin levied a $30 million fine on Citi, one of the biggest state securities regulators have ever handed down. The size of the fine stemmed in part from Citi’s embarrassing role in the difficulties surrounding Facebook’s initial public offering last year. Citi’s supervisory culture, Galvin mentioned hasn’t learned its lesson from the event.

The $30 million fine is the result of a settlement and there haven’t been any charges filed in the case. Apple Chief Tim Cook had previously warned investors about the perils of relying on supply chain to divine the company’s quarterly fortunes, noting that the supply chain is very complex and we obviously have multiple sources for things.”

Current speculation points toward Apple diversifying its supply chain even further in 2014, moving from a partnership model, the type it currently has with Hon Hai, to a transaction model for some devices. The company continues to work towards said model.

Source: Reuters via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

I wish people would start getting fined for leaking specific Iphone information. I miss the days when you waited to hear what apple was doing next. Now, just about all the information is leaked before the keynotes. Lame.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to holyshnikes For This Useful Post:

jery911 (10-04-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    I wish people would start getting fined for leaking specific Iphone information. I miss the days when you waited to hear what apple was doing next. Now, just about all the information is leaked before the keynotes. Lame.
    I think it's fun to see what people think will happen and what does/doesn't actually happen.

Thanks

Yeah..welcome to the "Digital" age where there are no secrets. Everything is talked about and Santa does not exist :]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    Plus 1
    I love the surprise and to see all of the components in a total package at the release. Most of the time you only have a few components anyway.
    Don't get me wrong, I do like the speculation and guessing but let's keep it at that.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

I think it's funny that now days they call it a leak and that company gets fined or whatever. It's not refer to industrial espionage anymore, when the company would make you disappear for betraying them.

Thanks

I work for Citi. This pisses me off. I could've used this damn raise!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Corporate America gets fined and hard working people that make a mistake go to jail for years. SMH
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Own3d View Post
    I work for Citi. This pisses me off. I could've used this damn raise!!!!
    Puhleeze! You getting or not getting a raise has nothing to do with this. Citigroup and its components get fined for breaking the law or screwing its customers so often I don't have enough space to list it -- $150mil here, $8mil there. They consider it a 'cost of business'.

http://bit.ly/GBL1Xj

If you aren't making bank from citigroup's criminal activities and malfeasance, you are just too far down the ladder. Face it, you're a drone like rest of us: BOHICA. Maybe Tyler Durden was right.