+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ: Amazon to Challenge Apple TV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default WSJ: Amazon to Challenge Apple TV

Apple and Amazon are reportedly heading for a showdown in yet another major product category.

iPads and Kindles aside, the tech giants may soon wage war in your living room. According to the Wall Street Journal, sources connected to the online retail behemoth insist that Amazon is preparing a new product that will directly challenge the Apple TV.

The Amazon set-top box, we are told, has the internal codename "Cinnamon." As you might expect, it's a small device that resembles a Roku player and would run apps and stream content from a variety of sources.

It would also serve as a delivery vehicle for Amazon's existing streaming video service—available as part of its Prime membership—which competes with Netflix Inc. and has been expanding lately.
    For now, it isn't clear when "Cinnamon" might arrive or what it will cost. But it's coming.

Source: WSJ

Thanks
    That's cool

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

...it's a small device that resembles a Roku player... why wouldn't you say that it resembles the Apple TV since that is the emphasis of the article; Amazon vs. Apple and not Amazon vs. Roku? And aren't they really challenging every player in the same market, including Roku?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    ...it's a small device that resembles a Roku player... why wouldn't you say that it resembles the Apple TV since that is the emphasis of the article; Amazon vs. Apple and not Amazon vs. Roku? And aren't they really challenging every player in the same market, including Roku?
    I meant that the name is cool

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

If this amazon streaming device offers a channel store like roku, and the price is right, it should do well.