+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Qualcomm Calls A7 CPU in iPhone 5S a "Gimmick" but Hints at its own 64-bit Chip

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Qualcomm Calls A7 CPU in iPhone 5S a "Gimmick" but Hints at its own 64-bit Chip

A senior vice president for Apple supplier Qualcomm recently said the 64-bit A7 chip in Apple’s iPhone 5S is more of a marketing gimmick than a development that will lead to real consumer benefits. At the same time, it appears to hint that the chip maker is planning a future 64-bit processor of its own. Anand Chandrasekher, senior vice president and chief marketing officer at Qualcomm said the following in an interview with TechWorld:

I know there's a lot of noise because Apple did [64-bit] on their A7. I think they are doing a marketing gimmick. There's zero benefit a consumer gets from that.
    Apple has played up the possibilities inherent with a 64-bit mobile processor saying that 64-bit apps “almost always” run better on such architecture. The claims though, have been met with skepticism from many in the tech industry with Chandrasekher being the latest among those. The Qualcomm VP pointed out that 64-bit processors are almost useful in addressing memory quantities above 4 GB whereas the iPhone 5S has only 1 GB of RAM. As noted by Chandrasekher, consumer performance would be largely unaffected as the use cases most in need of 64-bit are large, server-class applications.

At the same time, Chandrasekher seemed to hint that Qualcomm which supplies the LTE chips used inside Apple’s mobile devices would itself be rolling out a 64-bit mobile processor at some point in the future. He continued by saying the following:

From an engineering efficiency standpoint it just makes sense to do that. Particularly the OS guys will want it at some point in time.
    Google’s Android platform is also rumored to be moving to a 64-bit build in the future though we don’t know exactly when that might happen. Android is based on Linux and some observers note that there shouldn’t be any special development process necessary to tweak the platform to handle 64-bit processing power. Samsung, which is Apple’s biggest rival, has already promised 64-bit chips for next year’s line of flagship devices. We’ll have to wait and see what these tech giants do with their next-gen product lineup.

Source: TechWorld

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

ifu1727 (10-03-2013)

Thanks

I think the SVP of Qualcom is missing the point. Apple is beginning a transition that eventually all smartphones and tablets will most likely transition to. Just like the App Store, by the time all the other companies make the switch, Apple will be way ahead of the game in software optimization for 64bit applications, and users will immediately tell a difference in quality versus other mobile operating systems.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pkmaximum For This Useful Post:

IChi1d (10-03-2013), ThatOneProfile (10-03-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

I want to know then, if it's a "Sales Gimmick," Why the hell is Samsung going to a 64 bit chip as well. Typical out of touch executives trying to "spin" things to avoid being seen as the last one to get on board.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdd2010 For This Useful Post:

Carvensno (10-03-2013), Itchybums (10-03-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,096 Posts

Yet he plans to do the same & just roll out a 64bit chip cos everyone will end up doing it? #iSheep
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    I think the SVP of Qualcom is missing the point. Apple is beginning a transition that eventually all smartphones and tablets will most likely transition to. Just like the App Store, by the time all the other companies make the switch, Apple will be way ahead of the game in software optimization for 64bit applications, and users will immediately tell a difference in quality versus other mobile operating systems.
    +1

Thanks

Don't worry. When they announce their 64-bit chips in their new phones next year, they'll say stuff along the lines of: "TRUE 64-bit Processing, with the memory to carry it!" or something like that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gdd2010 View Post
    I want to know then, if it's a "Sales Gimmick," Why the hell is Samsung going to a 64 bit chip as well. Typical out of touch executives trying to "spin" things to avoid being seen as the last one to get on board.
    Samsung may not be the ones last on board. But they always are the second. I was surprised how quickly they said we will come up with our 64 bit chip as well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    Yet he plans to do the same & just roll out a 64bit chip cos everyone will end up doing it? #iSheep
    Why are you trolling an apple forum? Go back to twitter fandroid.

Previously known as weedsmart
    Thanks

that 64-bit processors are almost useful in addressing memory quantities above 4 GB whereas the iPhone 5S has only 1 GB of RAM.
    Lol my exact thoughts when I heard about the x64 chip

After reading the comments you all sound like little 12 yr old fanboys( it's not about being first or last.

Quote Originally Posted by gdd2010 View Post

The way I see it, Apple pushed a tech that we don't need for maybe 5-10 years, forcing every competing company to, well, compete.

Was the iPhone 5s to come with 4gb ram (up from 1gb from the i5) then my views would be different and to quote some guy above me, 4GB of ram would be TRUE X64
    Last edited by highboi; 10-03-2013 at 05:57 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me RandyTG's Avatar
    Thanks

If the 64-bit processor is a marketing gimmick and useless in a consumer device, then why are they going to create on for the same device type? "We decided to make our own useless processor for devices that don''t need them and get zero benefit from having them".

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RandyTG View Post
    If the 64-bit processor is a marketing gimmick and useless in a consumer device, then why are they going to create on for the same device type? "We decided to make our own useless processor for devices that don''t need them and get zero benefit from having them".
    Easy answer, Monkey see, Monkey do... First you fling poop then you ape what the other does. Qualcomm Chimps. LOL!

Thanks

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Thanks

This news is like 4 days old lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum For This Useful Post:

slim.jim (10-03-2013)

Thanks

Why do we continue to put Apple on a damn pedestal? I knew when the "64-bit" processors were announce that it was nothing more than a marketing ploy. Why? Because we're idiots and Apple knows that people will eat up these buzz words like candy. From a technical standpoint there isn't a need for a 64-bit processor yet and the only reason other companies are doing it is for the illusion of competition. Think of the major carriers, T-Mobile started the no contract trend and the Jump program, and soon after that the other companies started following.

Personally I believe that Apple isn't as innovative as they try to be, they just know how to take someone else's idea, make it pretty, and market the hell out it. That's not to say they haven't done some innovative things in the beginning, when the iPhone was first released yes it was innovative. However, looking back you can see how much they have taken from others and the jailbreak community.

Perhaps they will do something innovative with next year's model, but to be honest, the trend seems to be just add already existing ideas to the next models. I'm disappointed in the direction they have been taking.

Thanks

The 64 bit chip isn't really helping anybody right now. The iphone 5s is an experiment. If they didn't put it in there would be nothing to talk about.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,911 Times in 6,519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    Why are you trolling an apple forum? Go back to twitter fandroid.
    Apparently you have no clue what you are talking about or who you are referring to as a fandroid. Jato has done more for this community in the last week than you will do in your life time. Stop pretending and go get your S4.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Agreed with the above. No matter if his opinion is yay or nay, Apple was first and will lead this new tech in cell phones.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I've seen applications like iMovie, export files twice as fast on the iPhone 5S vs. the 5. Not sure if this is because if the 64bit chip thought.

My iPhone is a Part of Me gdd2010's Avatar
    in a barred spiral galaxy on the Cepheus-Draco border
    Thanks

In all fairness, Apple with the new A7 and it's architecture is designed for more efficient use. If you've read anandtech's reviews of the mobile processors, multicore, such as the quad exinos, aren't built correctly to fully utilize said additional cores, therefor, a SALES GIMMICK as well.
    Right now, only intel and AMD are doing the quad cores correctly and they are wayyyy too big for cell phones ATM. In reality, the A7 is more of a proper design for a mobile processor (speed, efficiency and heat reduction) and, mind you, Samsung knows this and intends to build on it.
    I'm glad a read the anandtech explanation of the multicore vs single core design in mobile processors. Now I am more skeptic of ALL sales gimmicks.
    Last edited by gdd2010; 10-03-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by highboi View Post
    After reading the comments you all sound like little 12 yr old fanboys( it's not about being first or last.
    Actually that's exactly what it's all about. Consumers will see "64 Bit Chip" and immediately want to get it, just like when they see a new phone with more Megapixels, they automatically think it's going to be better and purchase it. Even though most have no idea what the new improvements actually do, they still want what's the latest and greatest in their eyes. So even though the chip may not be needed now, Apple was smart to push it out first because now consumers want a smartphone with 64-bit architecture! Very smart marketing tactics!