+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Ordered to Pay $3.3M for Infringing on Click Wheel Patent

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Ordered to Pay $3.3M for Infringing on Click Wheel Patent

In a decision handed down by the Tokyo District Court recently, Apple has been ordered to pay $3.3 million to a Japanese inventor for infringing on patents which involve the iPod click wheel. The patent in question was filed originally by a company owned by Japanese inventor Norihiko Saito in 1998, roughly six years prior to Appleís launch of the click wheel on its iPod lineup in 2004 according to Kyodo News.

The recent suit is the result of multiple court actions spurred by Saitoís request to Tokyo Customs to ban the import of iPods with click wheels. In response, Apple filed its own suit to confirm that the feature didnít infringe on existing patents. Finally a countersuit lodged by Saito demanded damages for 100 billion yen, or roughly $1 billion at current exchange rates. The presiding Judge Teruhisa Takano denied the large award and instead granted the $3.3 million in damages partly based on the iPodís massive sales.

For those of you who didnít already know, Apple first introduced a click wheel-touting iPod in the deviceís fourth generation, combining a capacitive surface with mechanical mechanisms for easy one-handed control. The component carried through the iPod lineup as new models were released including the iPod Photo and Color, mini and all nanos up to the sixth generation.

The release of the iPod touch in 2007 was when Apple began to slowly phase out the click wheel as multitouch screens provided an overall better user experience with enhanced functionality in a smaller package. The only iPod using the click wheel tech is the iPod classic which hasnít seen a major design refresh since it launched alongside the iPod touch.
    Before the recent decision had been reached, Saito attempted to settle with Apple out of court but no suitable agreement was reached. As many of you probably already realized, the decision did not go in Appleís favor.

Source: Kyodo News

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Chump change for Apple lol. I'm sure the guy is pissed that he didn't get the $1 Billion he was wanting! Pretty crazy to think that the Classic still has a click wheel.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm amazed he didn't get more. If it was an actual infringing patent, apple was the king of click wheels in most views. How come apple was the only one who got sued? I mean nothing against the karma of it but other companies definitely used it.

I feel like 3.3million is how much they paid for lawyers in the first place..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteacup For This Useful Post:

ecofrankenstein (09-27-2013)

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,074 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Chump change for Apple lol. I'm sure the guy is pissed that he didn't get the $1 Billion he was wanting! Pretty crazy to think that the Classic still has a click wheel.
    I love how you say thats Chump change after berating the *T* here
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Lost money is lost money. It may be "chump change", but I'm sure they are still upset. I wonder how many iPhones you can build with $3.3million and how much revenue is lost as a result of the price those iPhones are sold at?

So you see it ends up being much more than "chump change" when you look at the bigger picture.

Thanks

Wow..what a win for Apple. Should have been a larger settlement but...it is what it is.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back2thebeatof84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    dumb azz jap thought he could screw Apple a court of his piers stuck it to him sorry you rice eating gook
    Too much internet for you. you're grounded; go to your room.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to back2thebeatof84 For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (09-28-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

I know their happy.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 728 Posts

I love how it took 9 years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Lost money is lost money. It may be "chump change", but I'm sure they are still upset. I wonder how many iPhones you can build with $3.3million and how much revenue is lost as a result of the price those iPhones are sold at?

So you see it ends up being much more than "chump change" when you look at the bigger picture.
    Ummm yeah compared to the $1 Billion the guy actually wanted....$3.3 Million is chump change!

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post

I love how you actually took the time to compare one of my posts that was about Fighting Aids and compare it to someone winning a lawsuit...there's a reason why I put "lol" in my comment, it's not meant to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 09-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    Thank you for bringing attention to that. I was unaware that I had caused so much controversy.

1 billion seems like a fair amount, IMO. 3.3m is a pittance.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

dear modmyi moderator sorry that you thought my comment was directed at the member/writer of the story that was not my intention it was directed at the person trying to get rich off Apple and being shut down.

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't get it. The only ipod to have a click wheel was the original ipod. All subsequent models have a touch screen which is the same technology found in all of Apples notebooks since the mid 90's.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    dear modmyi moderator sorry that you thought my comment was directed at the member/writer of the story that was not my intention it was directed at the person trying to get rich off Apple and being shut down.
    In any way to someone or not still not cool at all to talk like that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 2k1 For This Useful Post:

Scheuerle (09-28-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Thank you for bringing attention to that. I was unaware that I had caused so much controversy.
    You didn't cause controversy. I work with a group that contributes time and money to help fight aids, so when you said that the $65 million donated by Apple wasn't a lot I kind of took it personally. I wasn't mad or anything, I just wanted to explain that no matter how much money is donated by someone, every little bit helps!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ummm yeah compared to the $1 Billion the guy actually wanted....$3.3 Million is chump change!
    Apple still lost $3mil to ONE person. That's still a win for the guy who is now $3mil richer than he was the day before.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back2thebeatof84 View Post
    Too much internet for you. you're grounded; go to your room.
    +1

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LaddersRCool For This Useful Post:

back2thebeatof84 (10-07-2013)