Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Raises the Limit for App Store Downloads Initiated Over a Cellular Network

Thanks

Default Apple Raises the Limit for App Store Downloads Initiated Over a Cellular Network

Following the launch of iOS 7 and iTunes 11.1, Apple appears to have raised the limit for App Store downloads initiated over cellular networks, with the new 100 MB per app restriction doubling the previous cap of 50 MB. This bump in over-the-air downloads comes on the same day that Apple released iOS 7 and two days prior to the launch of the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C. The move makes sense as the new iPhone 5S in particularly is likely to spur development of advanced apps looking to take advantage of the handsetís upgraded internals.

Apple is likely prepared for a new breed of apps expected to address the iPhone 5Sí raw processing horsepower generated by a powerful 64-bit A7 SoC with the new cap. Developers already seem to be testing boundaries with titles such as Infinity Blade III, which uses a refreshed graphics engine to create extremely detailed 3D environments and smooth gameplay.

As the apps become more capable, their size tends to increase with data for rich environments, powerful features and new user interface tweaks. The change is seamless and only will be noticed when attempting to download a 100 MB+ app over a cellular network. As always, there is no cap applied when purchasing over WiFi. The App Store OTA limit was last raised in March of last year in preparation of apps built for the third-generation iPadís Retina display.

This raised cap does concern users on a tiered data plan as you should be a bit more careful when it comes to your data usage throughout the month. The last thing you would want is to pay overage fees.

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

For anyone that's updated to ios7... Are you able to watch YouTube videos in high quality (HD) over 4g or LTE? My main reason for staying jailbroken on 6.1.2 is for 3gunrestrictor for YouTube and FaceTime.

I wouldn't know, because I can't connect to the App Store after updating my mini. fail.

Quote Originally Posted by noop View Post
    For anyone that's updated to ios7... Are you able to watch YouTube videos in high quality (HD) over 4g or LTE? My main reason for staying jailbroken on 6.1.2 is for 3gunrestrictor for YouTube and FaceTime.
    Nope, can't watch HD over LTE on iOS7, just download McTube like I did and watch it in HD!

Thanks

I remember it being 15 mb. Then it was 20. Then they made it 50. Now it's 200... Wonder what will come next?