+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple Announces Touch ID Fingerprint Scanning

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 960 Times in 703 Posts

    Default Apple Announces Touch ID Fingerprint Scanning


    Apart from the new A7 chip that will be included in the iPhone 5S, Apple also announced a new fingerprint-scanning technology called Touch ID on Tuesday.

    In the same place as the iPhone 5S’s home button, is a new fingerprint scanner. The scanner can read the user’s fingerprint rather than having to use a passcode to unlock the device. Apple notes that more than half of iPhone users don't use a passcode because of the cumbersome steps required to set one up. The fingerprint scanner can also be used for signing into iTunes.

    The fingerprint scanner is 170 microns thin, has a 500ppi resolution, offers a 360º reading capability, and can scan the sub-epidermal skin layers.

    Apple shows is the layers of the fingerprint scanner, which includes a sapphire crystal layer, stainless steel detection ring, sensor, and tactile switch:



    For those of you worried about your personal security, Apple assures us that our fingerprint information is never uploaded to a remote server.

    This seems like a really cool way to unlock your iPhone, what do you think?
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-10-2013 at 12:12 PM.

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts

    I can't wait for Samsung to develop this on their own…

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Host_Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts

    Waiting for - Google watch and explorer

  4. #4
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How's this gonna work especially if you have a protective case like an OtterBox, where the home button is covered?

  5. #5
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    194
    Thanked 960 Times in 703 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by moveandstore View Post
    How's this gonna work especially if you have a protective case like an OtterBox, where the home button is covered?
    The case manufacturer is going to have to change their design to work around the structural integrity of the iPhone 5s.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

    Jokadaking (09-11-2013)

  7. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by moveandstore View Post
    How's this gonna work especially if you have a protective case like an OtterBox, where the home button is covered?
    It's not.
    You'll need a case/cover that does not cover the home button.

  8. #7
    Green Apple jigar7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Red face Seriously??!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    I can't wait for Samsung to develop this on their own…
    *Somewhere in Korea... North maybe!* :P
    Okay... now that Apple will release the 5S on the 20th... lets go get one.

    *sends someone to stand in the queue till the 20th*
    Once we have the super-awesome Apple tech, we shall tear it apart (but we will insure the 5S because we are cheap and have lost a lot of money to Apple in lawsuits).
    Then we extract the sensor... make some fag**ts study it day in and day out... 6 months on and we shall have our brand new "innovation"... Samsuck fingerprint sucker! Ready for release!! Woohooo!!

    Of course... we shall take precautions... if caught, we have devised a secret cyanide pill compartment in your Samsuck "smart"-phones.. use them! No one gets caught! Else we'll have a lawsuit and you will have to bend over again!

  9. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    I can't wait for Samsung to develop this on their own…
    Cuz Samsung cant make good products without Apple the Gods showing them how to make quality pieces.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rioswag For This Useful Post:

    bisayakid07 (09-10-2013), jigar7 (09-10-2013)

  11. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 75 Times in 72 Posts

    I'm kinda hoping they allow both a passcode and fingerprint to authenticate (first fingerprint then passcode, etc. - both used in one unlock/transaction). I think that would be a really good way to use it.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 09-10-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  12. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    This brings the end to personal privacy. Not only now government can track everyone's location and information, we're now foolish enough to provide our fingerprints.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Googly2moogly For This Useful Post:

    Feanor64 (09-10-2013), Scheuerle (09-11-2013)

  14. #11
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bakersfield
    Posts
    305
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    I'm kinda hoping they allow both a passcode and fingerprint to authenticate (first fingerprint then passcode, etc). I think that would be a really good way to use it.
    Who says you can't? Purchasing in tnhe App Store allows you the option to still do it by pass code so is probably a settings thing.

  15. #12
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jigar7 View Post
    *Somewhere in Korea... North maybe!* :P
    Okay... now that Apple will release the 5S on the 20th... lets go get one.

    *sends someone to stand in the queue till the 20th*
    Once we have the super-awesome Apple tech, we shall tear it apart (but we will insure the 5S because we are cheap and have lost a lot of money to Apple in lawsuits).
    Then we extract the sensor... make some fag**ts study it day in and day out... 6 months on and we shall have our brand new "innovation"... Samsuck fingerprint sucker! Ready for release!! Woohooo!!

    Of course... we shall take precautions... if caught, we have devised a secret cyanide pill compartment in your Samsuck "smart"-phones.. use them! No one gets caught! Else we'll have a lawsuit and you will have to bend over again!
    Never seen so much ignorance in one post. First off, every aspect of the iphone is not made by apple. Apple buys parts like the screen, the back, the battery, the memory, etc from other companies. The fingerprint sensor is most likely not made by them but implemented by some Korean or Japanese company. Apple just buys the sensor and throws it in their phone...

    Ignorance to the max.

  16. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,434
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Googly2moogly View Post
    This brings the end to personal privacy. Not only now government can track everyone's location and information, we're now foolish enough to provide our fingerprints.
    Big deal. There are a million other methods your government can lift get your fingerprints. They more than likely already have them anywho.
    Every time I've travelled into the U.S. they've taken a good ole scan of my prints.

  17. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    620
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 75 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by HighTymes View Post
    Who says you can't? Purchasing in tnhe App Store allows you the option to still do it by pass code so is probably a settings thing.
    I meant have to have both used at one time (you have to put in both to gain access). I updated my post to reflect that.
    I like the idea, but passcodes should still be used since that would be a second layer of security.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  18. #15
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    2,001
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 515 Times in 379 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Googly2moogly View Post
    This brings the end to personal privacy. Not only now government can track everyone's location and information, we're now foolish enough to provide our fingerprints.
    They can track where you are via your phone without fingerprint tech.

  19. #16
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    964
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 73 Times in 55 Posts

    Looks sweet. Hope it works as planned.

  20. #17
    iPhone? More like MyPhone romeo_herman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    296
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 42 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    I can't wait for Samsung to develop this on their own…
    Quote Originally Posted by Host_Killer View Post
    Waiting for - Google watch and explorer
    Waiting for Nokia....

    Waiting for Microsoft.....
    Last edited by romeo_herman; 09-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.

  21. #18
    Green Apple jigar7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by xzero View Post
    Never seen so much ignorance in one post. First off, every aspect of the iphone is not made by apple. Apple buys parts like the screen, the back, the battery, the memory, etc from other companies. The fingerprint sensor is most likely not made by them but implemented by some Korean or Japanese company. Apple just buys the sensor and throws it in their phone...

    Ignorance to the max.
    Are you blind? Or an illiterate? I never said Apple makes everything... At least they have the decency to take over small firms and make good use of their technology... Or patent stuff... Rather than stealing ideas!!
    U from N Korea dude? You sound like one... My condolences to u...
    Pfft... Calling me ignorant... Common sense is truly not common.. *sigh*

  22. #19
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by skiptowncat View Post
    They can track where you are via your phone without fingerprint tech.
    I am not talking about tracking, I don't want Apple to now have my finger print. I think they went overboard with this. Really, use your fingerprint to unlock the phone. How important is that. It a funking phone and a rocket missile.

  23. #20
    iPhoneaholic rabbit_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    303
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts

    S stands for scanning this time lol

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts