+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony to Take on Apple TV with PS Vita TV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Sony to Take on Apple TV with PS Vita TV

Sony recently announced a new addition to its PlayStation Vita ecosystem, one which has a surprising new form factor. The new addition is a game-playing set-top box for televisions that will take on Apple’s own Apple TV device. The new PS Vita TV is a device which measures just 6 by 10 cm and packs in the hardware from Sony’s PS Vita portable console. This hardware will allow the console to play video game selections from both the original PlayStation and the PlayStation Portable, as well as select titles from the PlayStation Vita.

As of right now, more than 100 PS Vita games, over 600 PSP games, and more than 600 PlayStation games can be played on Sony’s upcoming device. It will also be able to stream content from the forthcoming PlayStation 4 console if the television the console is regularly attached to is in use.

The whole premise behind the device is that it will bring Sony into competition with Apple and the other tech giants in the set-top segment. The PS Vita TV is set to provide access to a range of video services much like its competition. Many of those will be Japan-specific including DMM.com, Tsutaya TV, and NicoNico Douga, but it will also connect to Hulu and Sony’s PlayStation Store, which itself also has a wide range of video offerings available. Sony is planning to compete with the Apple TV on price as well. The PS Vita TV will retail for roughly $95 for a base version with another bundle selling for roughly $143, which comes packed with a DualShock 3 controller and 8 GB of memory card included.

The new device marks the first significant competition that Apple has faced in the media streaming devices market. Others include the Roku lineup, the Boxee Box, and to a lesser extent, Google’s Chromecast. As of right now, the Apple TV has grabbed 56% of the market in 2012 and other devices from the competition have failed to gain traction the way that Apple’s set top box has.

Sony currently seems to be stepping into the segment with a product that has wide name recognition and a deep library of game and media titles to distribute. The set-top box is set to launch on November 14 in Japan but the company hasn’t revealed any plans for a wider release just yet. We’ll have to wait and see.

Those of you who are interested in watching a video of it can do so below:

Will you be looking into a PS Vita TV?

Source: Sony

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Very legit device, would much rather have this than an Apple TV, no offense to Apple lol.

Thanks
    Yes, I'm in! Include AirPlay then I'll drop ATV box in the pond.

Oh talking of AirPlay without ATV box it's already possible! Just add these:
    iDevice+iMediaShare (App)+PS3+TV all need to be on the same WiFi connection except the TV!
    Sony: just make it more streamlined. You know what I mean?
    Last edited by MMX007; 09-10-2013 at 02:58 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

DMM.com completely makes this thing mine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

As a vita owner already definitely purchasing this, too much value not too for $100 =)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to djarkiz For This Useful Post:

pkmaximum (09-10-2013)

Thanks

Exactly! I own a vita already and I still want this, because I can take the games I'm already playing and throw it up on the big screen when I'm not out and about.

Hopefully this will boost developer interest in the Vita console which I'm sure is one of SONY's main goals here. That said, OUYA I think just officially died lol, it was already on life-support so it just got the plug pulled.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

This thing is not gonna do well, yes it's really nice if you have a Sony system and are into gaming. Unlike Apple and Sony, my roku3 is an open system with little restrictions. I have over 700+ channels to choose from, compare to the Apple TV? NO match. Sony shouldn't sell this as a "media" player, they should focus on the gaming part of it, market is too crowded anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I like that I'll be able to use this to play my PS4 games from another TV if I want to. I wish it supported full 1080p though..

iPhone? More like MyPhone djarkiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkmaximum View Post
    Exactly! I own a vita already and I still want this, because I can take the games I'm already playing and throw it up on the big screen when I'm not out and about.

Hopefully this will boost developer interest in the Vita console which I'm sure is one of SONY's main goals here. That said, OUYA I think just officially died lol, it was already on life-support so it just got the plug pulled.
    Agreed buddy, that and New MODEL lol the first gen is superior tho so happy I'm not downgrading to LCD, u could see it doesn't look as vivid in the YouTube videos, wish OLED was in full production on TV's but still too expensive to mass produce

11. The Following User Says Thank You to djarkiz For This Useful Post:

pkmaximum (09-14-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks good to me can't wait

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Gonna try this out for sure.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My ROKU does enough of this already. At $50 used price.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think Apple is missing the boat with not adding a gamepad accessory and opening Apple TV to third party game development. It would be a great cost-effective alternative for gaming to people who don’t need a $400 console that can do more than they’ll ever need. And if they can add OnLive it would be amazing and very competitive.

Thanks

Excellent idea! This is the only viable gaming streaming idea that I would purchase. Many companies have proposed some decent ideas but nothing to show for it.

Thanks

Does anyone here know how ps vita game graphics compare to the ps3s?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I think Apple is missing the boat with not adding a gamepad accessory and opening Apple TV to third party game development. It would be a great cost-effective alternative for gaming to people who don’t need a $400 console that can do more than they’ll ever need. And if they can add OnLive it would be amazing and very competitive.
    I may be wrong but can't you use you iPhone or iPad as a controller and play games streaming from the device?

Also who knows what today's keynote has in store.