Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: One-of-a-kind Solid Gold EarPods to Go Up for Auction in November

  1. #1
    Default One-of-a-kind Solid Gold EarPods to Go Up for Auction in November


    Soon to go up for auction on November 23rd are a pair of ultra rare solid gold Apple EarPods designed by Apple’s own Jonathan Ive. The point of the auction is to help raise money to fight AIDS in Africa; many other items including these EarPods will be auctioned off.

    The golden EarPods are crafted from 18k solid rose gold and will function like actual EarPods, with the addition of some extra bling that normal EarPods users don’t get to experience.

    There's no telling what the price of these golden EarPods will start at, and even more interesting is where the price will end. We expect that a number of wealthy Apple fans out there will be bidding on these and that the winner will keep them all boxed up their original packaging to allow time to increase their value.

    On the other hand, wouldn’t these just go so nicely with the rumored gold-colored iPhone 5S?

    Sources: TUAW

  2. #2
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,357
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

    Why in the world would someone want Gold earbuds?!?! They'll be uncomfortable, cold, and everyone will think they're fake, anyways! LOL!

    What a waste... Apple could easily just donate the money instead of making stupid stuff like this.

    My two cents

  3. #3
    It's not about the gold earpods. It's about raising money for Africa. Bono is in on the cause.

  4. #4
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,357
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

    I realize it's about the cause so why don't they just donate the money they spent on making this garbage.

    It's never made sense to me why celebrities/organizations spend tons of money hosting fundraisers that sell ridiculously priced items. It cost a bunch of money to make these 'rare' items and to organize the fundraisers, only to get other rich people to haphazardly spend a bunch of money. All these funds could've been donated to the original cause without making such a public spectacle of it. To me...it's almost worse to do these type of things cuz it just shows the poverty stricken people that they're poor and the rich people are rich. "Here, have some of our scraps."

    Does that make sense?

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Utah :\
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Why in the world would someone want Gold earbuds?!?! They'll be uncomfortable, cold, and everyone will think they're fake, anyways! LOL!

    What a waste... Apple could easily just donate the money instead of making stupid stuff like this.

    My two cents
    About your waste comment, all the money made from this goes to (RED), which will be a whole lot more than the cost to make them. It's not stupid, it's actually quite cool of Jony to do this. Lets think before labeling something as stupid, shall we?

  6. #6
    nothing is ever stupid if it goes towards a good cause PERIOD!

  7. #7
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,357
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    About your waste comment, all the money made from this goes to (RED), which will be a whole lot more than the cost to make them. It's not stupid, it's actually quite cool of Jony to do this. Lets think before labeling something as stupid, shall we?
    Read my second post. I've already thought about it...

    So let me get this straight...

    All of you think that spending tens of thousands of dollars hosting a party that's geared towards rich people, who they already know will donate to this cause, is an ideal way of spending money?

    Or...could they have skipped the party, skipped making these earbuds, and skipped all the publicity around it AND simply called their 'invitees' and asked for a donation?

    Which makes more sense?!?!
    Last edited by thazsar; 09-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.

  8. #8
    Don't matter, the funds will be mismanaged anyway, can't trust anybody nowadays. Especially when it comes to money.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Read my second post. I've already thought about it...

    So let me get this straight...

    All of you think that spending tens of thousands of dollars hosting a party that's geared towards rich people, who they already know will donate to this cause, is an ideal way of spending money?

    Or...could they have skipped the party, skipped making these earbuds, and skipped all the publicity around it AND simply called their 'invitees' and asked for a donation?

    Which makes more sense?!?!
    What kind of company would turn down publicity? It's great for their marketing.

  10. #10
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,357
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Chibichuba View Post
    What kind of company would turn down publicity? It's great for their marketing.
    Exactly! They're not doing this solely to help others. It always goes back to 'How will this benefit me/us?' I can almost guarantee you that if this kind of stuff didn't gain recognition, or better yet, went against the public norm, then these people/companies would have nothing to do with it.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Why in the world would someone want Gold earbuds?!?! They'll be uncomfortable, cold, and everyone will think they're fake, anyways! LOL!

    What a waste... Apple could easily just donate the money instead of making stupid stuff like this.

    My two cents
    They're not meant t be used. Just a collectors item and will go for far more than it cost to make them. Somebody who could easily donate the money may buy these just because they're the only pair. And of course it ties in with the golden colored iPhone 5S.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Read my second post. I've already thought about it...

    So let me get this straight...

    All of you think that spending tens of thousands of dollars hosting a party that's geared towards rich people, who they already know will donate to this cause, is an ideal way of spending money?

    Or...could they have skipped the party, skipped making these earbuds, and skipped all the publicity around it AND simply called their 'invitees' and asked for a donation?

    Which makes more sense?!?!
    I think its more about publicity. Although apple doesn't need it, it would still be good for people to know that the company is contributing to the cause. I guess that this way, they'd be able to help in Africa and make a better name for themselves.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Exactly! They're not doing this solely to help others. It always goes back to 'How will this benefit me/us?' I can almost guarantee you that if this kind of stuff didn't gain recognition, or better yet, went against the public norm, then these people/companies would have nothing to do with it.
    It is not the job of companies to throw money at good causes. They are there to make money.

    So of course, if it will be a win/win for the company, they'll be a part of it. Why do we expect more from our companies when their sole purpose for existing is "making" money? Those that are going to be affected by the proceeds of this event probably aren't complaining about why the money is being raised, they're just happy it's being done.

  14. #14
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,357
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by loveblooms View Post
    They're not meant t be used. Just a collectors item and will go for far more than it cost to make them. Somebody who could easily donate the money may buy these just because they're the only pair. And of course it ties in with the golden colored iPhone 5S.
    Understood...still a waste on both sides.

    Okay, sorry all, I'm stepping down from my soapbox. LOL!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It is not the job of companies to throw money at good causes. They are there to make money.

    So of course, if it will be a win/win for the company, they'll be a part of it. Why do we expect more from our companies when their sole purpose for existing is "making" money? Those that are going to be affected by the proceeds of this event probably aren't complaining about why the money is being raised, they're just happy it's being done.
    I realize that, too. But I still think things could be done differently if they 'truly' wanted to help. In the end, it's about what looks good and how people will perceive them. Good perception = Good business!

    Ok, now I'm done!
    Last edited by thazsar; 09-09-2013 at 09:27 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    nothing is ever stupid if it goes towards a good cause PERIOD!
    +1
    All these people talking crap like they know better should ask themselves when was the last time they did something to help the needy...

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to onski For This Useful Post:

    thazsar (09-09-2013)

  17. #16
    If I had a nickel... thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,357
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,030 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by onski View Post
    +1
    All these people talking crap like they know better should ask themselves when was the last time they did something to help the needy...
    ^ Not sure if you were trying to put me down or support my stance. Regardless, you're statement reiterated my position!

    My family and children donate their time, weekly, to a facility that provides supplies to the needy. They get to engage w/ them and show that people care without expecting anything in return. We will make food for them and show love to them knowing it doesn't benefit us one bit. And we don't boast about it cuz we don't care about people's approval! Granted, it's not money but we are investing in the person.
    Last edited by thazsar; 09-09-2013 at 09:58 PM.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Read my second post. I've already thought about it...

    So let me get this straight...

    All of you think that spending tens of thousands of dollars hosting a party that's geared towards rich people, who they already know will donate to this cause, is an ideal way of spending money?

    Or...could they have skipped the party, skipped making these earbuds, and skipped all the publicity around it AND simply called their 'invitees' and asked for a donation?

    Which makes more sense?!?!
    I see where your going with this but your not thinking it through this isn't apple that made the product it was one person who decided to do it for his good will for a good deed and yeah he might have spend idk how much those things cost to make but for example say those things are worth $1,500. Would you say it's better he had given those $1,500 to fights aids in Africa or is it better that they sell in an auction for $25,000 or who knows how much and give all that money to fight aids in Africa?

  19. #18
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    But are they covered by AppleCare?

  20. #19
    Hate to break it to you guys but charities ,like all other businesses, are about the money.

    The whole party will be a huge tax write off since it's for charity. They look at it is win win. They get a fancy party, excellent press for their philanthropy, and less tax liability.

    Often times many CEO's wives will head these foundations. Therefore, even though these are 'not for profit' foundations, the employees still draw a salary and get to keep even more of their money in the family.

    Tl;Dr
    The money would be more effective if simply donated, but not as advantageous to the donators.

  21. #20
    iPhoneaholic ecd5000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Six - One - Zero
    Posts
    416
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts

    Mmmmm.... I love it when people argue over charity. Really shows the true compassion of the human race.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •