+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Isn't Announcing New Apple TV Next Week, Said to Upgrade Software Instead

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Isn't Announcing New Apple TV Next Week, Said to Upgrade Software Instead

There were rumors afloat stating that Apple may be introducing a new Apple TV next week but a recent report from AllThingsD says otherwise. Earlier this week, a “mysterious” set top box shipment from a new supplier suggested Apple could be planning to introduce an upgraded Apple TV but it appears that the shipment likely consisted of existing hardware rather than a new product. The report mentioned the following regarding the matter:

Despite speculation about new Apple TV hardware on the way, Apple won't be unveiling any new boxes next week, according to people familiar with the company's plans.

That said, the company will be tweaking the software inside its Web TV box. Apple has already said that it will be bringing its new iTunes Radio service to Apple TV. And it has been adding new content partners, including Disney and HBO, throughout the summer.
    One thing to note is that while testing beta versions of both OS X Mavericks and iOS 7, Apple has also been testing new Apple TV software. The Apple TV 5.4 update includes support for iTunes Radio and allows users to purchase music from the iTunes Store on the Apple TV. In addition to this, it includes a “Conference Room Mode” for business and academic settings, easier setup options and multi-display support. AllThingsD suggests that other software changes will be introduced as well including a new AirPlay feature. The report mentioned the following regarding the matter:

Sources say that one new feature in the works will let people who’ve bought content from Apple play that stuff on other users' Apple TVs, via Apple’s Airplay system. So if you’ve bought a TV show or movie from Apple’s iTunes store, you could watch it at a friend’s house, by calling it up on your iPhone, and telling your friend’s Apple TV to start streaming it.
    Over the past few months, Apple has been working to fortify its Apple TV offerings and has introduced a number of new channels. These include WatchESPN, HBO Go, Sky News, Crunchyroll and Quello were added in June and in August, Apple debuted more new channels including Vevo, the Smithsonian, and Disney. As of right now, deals with TWC and The CW are also said to be in the works.

The Apple TV update will likely debut alongside iOS 7, which is expected to be released to the public shortly after the September 10 iPhone event.

Source: AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd be happier with that.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll stick with my roku3, thank you.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Now only if they could jailbreak the ATV 3!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Makes more sense than a new ATV. Either way I'm looking forward to some type of upgrade.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That makes the most sense. The ATV3's full potential is grossly under used. They absolutely need new features and content. They don't need to release new hardware.

Banned
    Thanks

What I'm waiting for is a useful update to everyone in the world not just in the US.
    We cant have those extra channels so the update is totally useless to the rest of the world.

And WHERE is the jailbreak for ATV3?
    What is it now? 3 years and still nothing?
    Is anyone working on it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    And WHERE is the jailbreak for ATV3?
    What is it now? 3 years and still nothing?
    Is anyone working on it?
    why dont YOU work on it instead of begging for and expecting a handout?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Come on with the Apple TV AppStore already! Seriously Apple! Why do i need to have 8 Gb of unused space on my Apple TV, yet no apps available for. I don't live in the U.S, so I don't even have access to most of the half-assed stock apps included! Really. **** Apple, if they don't announce the Apple TV AppStore this tuesday! It's been 4 years since I got my Apple TV, and still nothing? Even those crappy Samsung smart TV's have more apps than Apple TV. This situation has gone completely beyond any excuse. It's just retarded!
    Give us our damn AppStore Apple!

Thanks

I would like apps on it. I would like a game controller if said apps are created/utilized. Im sure when these two things will spring forth and the older models of APTV will not support said upgrades. They will probably make a $199+ model with a firmware update. I think its a great product that has yet to be fully realized.