Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Court Confirms Apple's DRM on iTunes Was Not an Illegal Monopoly

Thanks

Default Court Confirms Apple's DRM on iTunes Was Not an Illegal Monopoly

Apple customers have been arguing that the iTunes store is an illegal monopoly for quite some time, simply because songs purchased inside the store canít be played on non-Apple devices. An appeals court in California has finally thrown out the claim once and for all though. A three-judge panel recently confirmed that Appleís digital right management system known as FairPlay has not broken any antitrust laws. This has been ruled after a long-running class action lawsuit claimed Apple is running a monopoly by forcing iTunes users to also buy Apple products to listen to their songs.

The panel ruled that even though Apple controlled 99% of the digital music and player market by 2004, it didnít break any antitrust laws because it maintained its $0.99 per song pricing before and after it implemented its DRM system. Plaintiffs also argued that Apple changed its software so tracks sold from Real Network for $0.49 could be played on its devices but the three judges werenít persuaded by that argument.

Although Apple has been under fire for how it competed against Amazon when it came to e-books, the court noted that Apple maintained its $0.99 price point even after Amazon came to the market with a DRM-free solution and after Apple stopped using FairPlay encryption in 2009. The ruling is definitely one big win for Apple.

Source: GigaOM

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

People are always out for a buck. If you didn't like the DRM, buy the CD and import it into iTunes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    People are always out for a buck. If you didn't like the DRM, buy the CD and import it into iTunes.
    Or get it through Google Play and it downloads as an MP3. Or you can convert the file to an MP3 using VLC. This is what I did to get my iTunes library on to my Galaxy S3

Why is this still going on since they stopped DRMing music in 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Why is this still going on since they stopped DRMing music in 2009?
    Class action - people want £!

I used to have an HTC One S, I had purchased like 1000 songs before it and every song worked fine no issues! But People just convert the music to an MP3 format at you will be fine, no problems, invest in a good software. But you androiders why are you even on here? Go to an Android forum. This mentions for iPhone, iPad, iPod.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are jailbroken u can use Ifunbox and copy the music to your PC I think you can do it without a jailbreak too

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    You are an idiot. It was not about people being "out for a buck". Re-read the first sentence of this article, "Apple customers have been arguing that the iTunes store is an illegal monopoly for quite some time, simply because songs purchased inside the store canít be played on non-Apple devices."

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfeind View Post
    You are an idiot. It was not about people being "out for a buck". Re-read the first sentence of this article, "Apple customers have been arguing that the iTunes store is an illegal monopoly for quite some time, simply because songs purchased inside the store canít be played on non-Apple devices."
    No...You r the idiot. The first sentence you reference only says "Apple customers", it does not say "Plaintiffs" like it does at other times in the article when they are actually talking about the case. The first sentence is OBVIOUSLY being used as a general complaint made by some Apple customers. It amazes me you somehow failed to see that, and instead of seeing such a obvious thing, you call someone else a idiot for pointing out a valid point. Maybe you should look up what a class action lawsuit ACTUALLY IS, who is involved, and how it ALWAYS boils down to money. Idiot.
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfeind View Post
    It's not like iTunes was the ONLY place you could buy music for your iDevice, if it were then that would be a monopoly. Again, before calling someone an idiot try reading the article. Class action lawsuits are all about the lawyers involved getting their fees. They take on these huge dollar cases in hopes they win and take a percentage of the settlement. The few lawyers get millions and the millions of plaintiffs get a few dollars.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Digitalfeind - Got OWNED by iLoveWindows&iPhone OWNED I tell you!