+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Unveils $299 Galaxy Gear Smart Watch

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Unveils $299 Galaxy Gear Smart Watch

Samsung recently announced its Galaxy Gear Smartwatch, a wearable device that features a 1.63-inch 320 x 320 resolution AMOLED touchscreen, built-in speakers, and a 1.9-inch megapixel camera in the strap. The device boasts an 800 MHz processor, 4 GB of storage and 512 MB of RAM. The watch supposedly supports voice control with S Voice and is able to make and receive calls and video memos. The device is supposedly designed to be a companion for the Galaxy Note 3 and new Note 10.1, with the ability to notify wearers of text messages and other updates. That being said, it should be noted that it requires a Bluetooth 4.0 connection to work.

The Galaxy Gear isn’t currently compatible with other Samsung devices beyond the Note 3 and 10.1 as it runs Android 4.3 but it will support 70 third-party applications at launch, including popular offerings such as Evernote and Path along with many health oriented apps like RunKeeper and MyFitnessPal. It includes a pedometer to measure fitness levels, an accelerometer and a 315 mAh battery that providers up to one day of regular use, according to Samsung reps that spoke to Engadget.

One of the major things that Apple is supposedly working to overcome with its own iWatch is poor battery life, an issue which is said to currently be in development. In March, a report suggested that Apple has yet to reach its target goal of four to five days of battery life for the device.

The folks over at The Verge went hands-on with the Galaxy Gear criticizing the battery life and found it to be “bulkier” than the Pebble with “a tangible lag.” The following was mentioned regarding the Galaxy Gear:

There are a couple of significant downsides that temper my enthusiasm for the new Gear. First and foremost is the speed and intuitiveness of the user interface — or rather, the lack thereof. There’s a tangible lag to anything you do with the Gear, while the swipe gestures are hard to figure out and do different things depending on where you are in the menus.

Samsung promises "about a day" of endurance from the Gear, but by the end of our briefing with the company, the cameras on most of its demo units were refusing to turn on due to the watches running low on power.
    As of right now, Samsung is offering the Galaxy Gear in six different colors including Jet Black, Mocha Gray, Wild Orange, Oatmeal Beige, Rose Gold, and Lime Green. It also comes with 10 different clock options with more choices available for download. Samsung CEO JK Shin:

I believe it will become a new fashion icon around the world.
    The Galaxy Gear will be launched alongside the Galaxy Note 3 in 140 countries beginning on September 25 and will be available worldwide in October with a price tag of $299.

Source: Samsung via Engadget, The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

How much ?????
    That's a lot of cash for a watch that wont work with ANY current phones lol

Fail

Jolly

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this will flop. Their next gen will be good I'm sure. But compatability issues and poor batter life are huge for this thing. Not to mention it looks ugly and it's $300!

I think Samsung was do hell bent on putting out a watch before Apple it missed the mark. Let's hope Apple will be better off with theirs.

Thanks

**** Tracey used to be popular..."USED TO BE POPULAR" haha! Not to mention, the iPod watch looks sexier than this hunk of metal. EPIC FAIL.

Thanks

$300? 800Mhz nope

Thanks

Needs a bigger screen.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This thing is way too niche to make any headway, even when you don't factor in its shortcomings. First off, it only works with a couple of Samsung's top shelf devices. They should have made it work with any Android phone, or at the very least any Samsung phone.

Then on top of that you have a very distinct design that only a relatively small subset of those particular phone owners will like and want to wear on a regular basis. THEN on top of that they have to find it interesting enough to lay out $300 for it.

And then you have to throw in all it's issues including a battery that may or may not last through a day, sluggish performance despite its basic features relative to its CPU, and creep factor with the spy cam on the side.

Add it all up and you could probably count the total consumer market for this on one hand!

Any Android user looking for a smartwatch is much better off with Sony's new unveiling or the Omate if it performs to expectations.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

these stupid so called smart watches are a big fail.

iPhone? More like MyPhone 8lias's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsunk.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    And samsung note 3 with leather back cover and now nobody can complain it's cheap plastic anymore.
    Last edited by Nerd; 09-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

So it won't connect to any phones? I thought that was one of the main points of using a smartwatch. I have the Pebble and even that will show me my caller ID and text messages. This is a huge failure.

Thanks

This is a terrible product and the constant Bluetooth connection is sure to eat up the battery life of whatever phone connects to it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Where the heck is apples iWatch? As usual leading from behind.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Is able to make and receive calls!!

Yes the age of Power Rangers is finally here...

Alpha come in Alpha can you hear me!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

300 bucks. I'll pass. Anyone get a peak of the leather back on the huge note 3.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

A watch comon what year is it again 1995?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Where the heck is apples iWatch? As usual leading from behind.
    Apple is working at perfection. But, rest assure Samsung will get their 2nd gen watch right after they borrow/steal from apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

As per usual. Too bloody big.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

The battery life sucks because it's basically all the components of a smartphone (minus the modem) yet paired with a battery that's too small. But if this thing runs the full Android OS and has all the parts of a smartphone then why can't it be used independently of another device? This thing never should have left the R&D room. Clearly too many sacrifices were made in rushing it to market.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stolenpentium View Post
    Apple is working at perfection. But, rest assure Samsung will get their 2nd gen watch right after they borrow/steal from apple.
    Apple is perfecting time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    The battery life sucks because it's basically all the components of a smartphone (minus the modem) yet paired with a battery that's too small. But if this thing runs the full Android OS and has all the parts of a smartphone then why can't it be used independently of another device? This thing never should have left the R&D room. Clearly too many sacrifices were made in rushing it to market.
    U got that right. Can't see the battery lasting long at all. Being paired using Bluetooth will eat a majority of the battery up. And if the battery life is like the phones it will really blow. (Don't explode green alien users it was a joke) u have to remind them sometimes. They take life so seriously. Lol.
    Last edited by mlee19841; 09-04-2013 at 07:12 PM.