+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Windows 8 Surpasses Apple's OS X Market Share for the First Time

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Windows 8 Surpasses Apple's OS X Market Share for the First Time

The Windows 8 platform continues to inch forward in market share despite not being nearly as successful as Microsoft hoped and promised a year ago. Most recently, the platform surpassed the overall installed base for Apple’s Mac OS X. The latest figures from Net Applications show that Windows 8 has a 7.4% share of all desktop OS web traffic for the month of August. This number is up from the 5.4% share the OS held at the beginning of August, a 2% jump.

At the beginning of July, Windows 8 had just barely passed Microsoft’s much maligned Windows Vista OS in terms of share but it still continued to trail the Mac OS X. Now, the new touch-centric OS has surpassed Apple’s desktop platform, with 7.41% share for Windows 8 compared to 7.3% for all OS X installs. Apple’s dominance in tablets means that it is still beating Windows 8 where most observers believe it counts.

The iPad and competing Android-powered devices have proved especially troublesome for Microsoft to overcome. Microsoft tried to parlay its position in the older computing environment into a foothold in the new mobile paradigm but its attempts have left both Microsoft and its many hardware manufacturing partners grasping as Apple and other mobile manufacturers grab the majority of consumer mindshare. Windows 7, which was the follow up to Windows Vista, remains the most popular desktop operating system in the world with a 45.6% share, up from 44.5% in July. The next most popular is Windows XP which is released in August of 2001 but still running on 33.66% of sampled desktops. Windows Vista only accounted for 4.11% share.

October marks the release of Windows 8.1, an altered version of Windows 8 that adds more functionality and gives back a certain degree of user choice with regard to interface options. Industry analysts are uncertain how well the new version of the OS can do in reversing the general downward trend in PC sales but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Source: NetMarketShare

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,064 Times in 796 Posts

Last edited by dsg; 09-03-2013 at 01:07 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    one of the main reasons is because Appl£ didn't allow a lot of older machines the ability to upgrade to the newer OS
    Now, the new touch-centric OS has surpassed Apple’s desktop platform, with 7.41% share for Windows 8 compared to 7.3% for all OS X installs.

dsg
    Thanks

privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not really. It's passed the overall installed based, that is all iterations of Mac OSX.
    Two main reasons for this I believe;
    1. Ignorance on the part of consumers.
    2. Fantasyland prices on the part of Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I know a few people running Windows 8 right now with big regrets yet are too stubborn to try anything else like Apple/OSX. It's silly someone will get something that they are not used to using b/c it has the same name as what they used to use and yet won't try something new.

Windows 7 was a win after Windows Vista so maybe Windows 9 (or it might be called OS ONE) will be awesome after we drop Windows 8? Everything that was awesome about Windows 7 seems lost in 8 yet the stupid tiles gimmick is just a facade and the traditional desktop is still there. SMH. Although we know Microsoft can't admit it's own mistakes so it may be awhile. While is it taking so long to re-add the START menu? Remember how much they tried to force Vista; Windows commercials tried to prove people were wrong about it rather than just fixing it. Silly.

dsg
    Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What is funny is everyone can agree Vista is one of the worst OS Windows ever put out, yet it still beat Apple's strongest OSX 10.8.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You know what else is funny? DSG quoted Ambi and still didn't read what they wrote. "Not really. It's passed the overall installed based, that is all iterations of Mac OSX."
    that is since its inception in March 24, 2001 (according to the Wiki)
    Last edited by davedave1234; 09-03-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks

tbf this is a nonsense stats as its pretty obvious there are more windows compatible devices out in the world than there is apple devices. now if apple removed their fence and allowed intel pcs to run osx then i bet the figures would start to change rapidly. i know i would have it running on all my devices at home without doubt

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    tbf this is a nonsense stats as its pretty obvious there are more windows compatible devices out in the world than there is apple devices. now if apple removed their fence and allowed intel pcs to run osx then i bet the figures would start to change rapidly. i know i would have it running on all my devices at home without doubt
    Though it would increase OSX installs a bit, but it would not be as much as you think.
    The price for the Mac mini is pretty cheap now, yet I do not see massive exodus from PC.
    My personal problem is with Apple's Nazi like grip on what they allow you to install onto their OS, which limits availability of programs that my office requires to run its business system. And no install windows on Mac don't work for me. If I want to install Windows on a Mac to run something I required, I might as well go with a PC system.

dsg
    Thanks

Last edited by dsg; 09-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.

*T*
    Thanks

Dsg, idk if you know but all your posts look like "...."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    ...Apple's Nazi like grip on what they allow you to install onto their OS, which limits availability of programs that my office requires to run its business system.
    How does Apple control what they allow you to install on OS X? How is there a limit?

Oh, and for the record, unless Apple invades and controls Austria, Poland, France, Belgium, Norway, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Yugoslavia, Greece, Finland and Denmark, and institute Führerprinzip, they do not have a Nazi-like grip.
    You know what has a Nazi-like grip? Actual Nazis in 1930's Europe.

See: Godwin's Law
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law