Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Boosts its Wearable Device Initiative by Acquiring WIMM

Thanks

Default Google Boosts its Wearable Device Initiative by Acquiring WIMM

Google acquired Los Altos, California-based WIMM Labs last year, assuring that the search giant is preparing to make a big move into wearable technology beyond what has already been revealed. Rumors of Google’s own smart watch device broke soon after similar rumors emerged surrounding an Apple “iWatch.” Sources are now telling GigaOM that Google purchased WIMM Labs in order to pump more life into its current smart watch efforts.

The acquisition is thought to have occurred sometime last year, when WIMM ceased sales of the WIMM One smart watch, shuttered its Twitter account, and said on its website that it had “entered into an exclusive, confidential relationship for our technology.” According to observers, the WIMM acquisition gives Google a highly developed pool of talent from the wearable computing segment. Reportedly, Google had considered handling the smart watch project to the Google X division, which developed Google Glass and Google’s self-driving cars. Instead, WIMM is working within the Android division now.

If Google was to release a watch product, it would enter an increasingly crowded field. In addition to the upcoming offerings, there are some devices already on the market, such as Sony’s SmartWatch 2 and an offering from Pebble. Google would end up facing competition from its top Android manufacturing partner as well, Samsung. As of right now, Samsung has already confirmed that it will show off its new Galaxy Gear watch early next month in Berlin.

Beyond these, there is a looming possibility that Apple may enter the segment with its own offering. The iWatch has been pegged for a 2014 debut and is thought to have a large focus on biometrics and sensors. Such a device could be more in line with the thinking of Tim Cook who previously hinted that "[changing] somebody's behavior" would be Apple's focus were it to enter the smart watch segment.

It seems as if all the tech giants seem to be after the smart watch industry as their next big move. Once the devices are released, we’ll be able to see how they all stack up against one another.

Source: GigaOM via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Apple used to introduce new technology first, now it's the other way around.

Thanks

I think they stopped selling that watch last year because it looks like something from a cereal box.

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    They still do sure the iPhone is probably the only thing you are thinking about, but what about the MacBook Air? They completely changed the laptop market and created a whole new segment. Who cares if you introduce something first. If you don't do it right then it's not going to work out. Apple didn't make the first MP3 player but they designed it right and made it well and the iPod has yet to have any real competition. Same thing with the iPad.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 08-31-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,237 Posts

Next week, TracPhone will release their Prepaid SmartWatch!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

brutus (09-01-2013), Dphillipds (08-31-2013)

is anybody really interested in these stupid watches....I mean really! who wants to wear something that pretty much works as a girl deterrent and solidifies your image as a nerd. These watches will also need to be charged on a regular basis.

No thanks!!!! not for me!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    is anybody really interested in these stupid watches....I mean really! who wants to wear something that pretty much works as a girl deterrent and solidifies your image as a nerd. These watches will also need to be charged on a regular basis.

+1
    ...but Apple is gonna sell 65 million next year (?!?!). Glad that's already been established in a market that'll already be flooded by these stupid devices a year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Actual Apple never introduces technology first. Usually the tech already exists and Apple just makes it better. MP3 players were around before the iPod. Smartphones before the iPhone. And tablets before the iPad. Apple is really good at 1upping everyone else.

...as an added bonus, you will get your choice of colored pocket protector!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbiguns View Post
    ...as an added bonus, you will get your choice of colored pocket protector!!
    Ha.

the iphone or droid phones already provide everything you could ever want to so why the need for these cumbersome watches? Why would there be even a market for it. Nerds...oops! meant people could already turn their ipod nano into wearable watches and look how that turn out.

Apple is so stupid. If I were Tim Cook, I would first switch from iphone lcd screen to the best SAMOLED screen tech possible with real time subpixels for bright vivid whites unlike the Galaxy S series. I would make sure to increase the screen res to 1080p and increase size to 5 inch but not larger. I would incorporate stereo front facing speakers like the HTC One and give it a unique design similar to HTC one. I would also increase the storage to 128GB and incorporate the best possible camera(16mp) lens like Zeise for optimal picture and video quality. If stupid Apple did that, they would be out of stock all the time because demand would be too great.

and please don't tell me that these features are not doable because of costs. If other manufacturers can do it why not Apple specially with all the billions they own.
    Last edited by swifty7; 09-01-2013 at 01:58 AM.

the iphone or droid phones already provide everything you could ever want to so why the need for these cumbersome watches? Why would there be even a market for it. Nerds...oops! meant people could already turn their ipod nano into wearable watches and look how that turn out.

Apple is so stupid. If I were Tim Cook, I would first switch from iphone lcd screen to the best SAMOLED screen tech possible with real time subpixels for bright vivid whites unlike the Galaxy S series. I would make sure to increase the screen res to 1080p and increase size to 5 inch but not larger. I would incorporate stereo front facing speakers like the HTC One and give it a unique design similar to HTC one. I would also increase the storage to 128GB and incorporate the best possible camera(16mp) lens like Zeise for optimal picture and video quality. If stupid Apple did that, they would be out of stock all the time because demand would be too great.

and please don't tell me that these features are not doable because of costs. If other manufacturers can do it why not Apple specially with all the billions they own.
    Why do apple have to do like the other they still take your hard work money without doing anything better,you said apple is stupid no they are smart only stupid people here is the Ifan they still keep give them their hard work money without them do anything better.

Banned
    Thanks

the reason apple wont do this things is simple. they already make tons of money by NOT giving you those things. apple is very good at selling you the same thing twice (iPhone 4/4S, iPad mini/iPad mini 2) so they don't have to give you specs and features you want.

the iPhone 5S wont be much different from the iPhone 5, it wont have any new features--only a slight increase in power but millions of people will feel their iPhone 5's are old and trade them in or sell them.

for every 3 iPhones sold, 1 of them comes from an owner of the previous model.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    the reason apple wont do this things is simple. they already make tons of money by NOT giving you those things. apple is very good at selling you the same thing twice (iPhone 4/4S, iPad mini/iPad mini 2) so they don't have to give you specs and features you want.

the iPhone 5S wont be much different from the iPhone 5, it wont have any new features--only a slight increase in power but millions of people will feel their iPhone 5's are old and trade them in or sell them.

for every 3 iPhones sold, 1 of them comes from an owner of the previous model.
    Your right about that. There are probably a couple users on this forum that will upgrade from a 5. The big improvements won't come until the 6 is released. History repeats itself the iPhone 5s will be a little faster and better cam and some other small things. But like u said for what ever reason people will feel that the iPhone 5 they have is old.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

If I were Tim Cook,
    If I were Tim Cook, I'd say **** it, nobody can out-do Jobs, take my money and go.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    If I were Tim Cook, I'd say **** it, nobody can out-do Jobs, take my money and go.
    Lol. If I were Tim cook. Where would u begin?

Quote Originally Posted by mlee19841 View Post
    Your right about that. There are probably a couple users on this forum that will upgrade from a 5. The big improvements won't come until the 6 is released. History repeats itself the iPhone 5s will be a little faster and better cam and some other small things. But like u said for what ever reason people will feel that the iPhone 5 they have is old.
    A lot of people like myself will upgrade simply because they desire a warranty. I've never had an iPhone last a year.

Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
    A lot of people like myself will upgrade simply because they desire a warranty. I've never had an iPhone last a year.
    Jeeze. Are they hardware/software defects or like toilet drops.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bradmullins007 View Post
    Sounds like you need the Best Buy insurance or something.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    Sounds like you need the Best Buy insurance or something.
    Lol