+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mac Growth Starting to Diminish as "Switcher" Motivation Declines

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Mac Growth Starting to Diminish as "Switcher" Motivation Declines

According to one analyst, the Mac could become a victim of Apple’s own success along with the popularity of the iPhone and iPad, as reasons for stagnation in Mac sales growth. Mac shipments are still declining more slowly than the overall PC market but still declining nonetheless. Analyst Charlie Wolf of Needham & Co. believes this may be attributable to the Mac’s “wow factor” gradually fading.

As a result, the Mac lineup may no longer be attracting many new “switcher” customers from Microsoft’s Windows platform according to Wolf in his latest “Digital Lifestyle” report. Overall shipments of PCs shrank 11.3% in the second quarter of this year. Meanwhile, the popularity of Apple’s iPad has helped turn Apple into the world’s largest PC manufacturer when iPads are included. Macs have shrunk to just 20% of Apple’s total PC shipments, when including the iPad that is.

Wolf pointed out that Mac sales have been outgrowing PC sales since around 2005, when Apple’s iPod ruled the MP3 player market. The “halo effect” from the iPod, and later, the iPhone and iPad, got consumers interested in Apple’s other products and buyers of the iPod and iPhone sometimes went on to become buyers of the mac.

Currently, Wolf estimated that more than 40 million Windows users have switched to the Mac since 2005, a figure twice the size of the Mac installed base at the beginning of that period. Surveys conducted by Needham & Co. found that about 15% of iPhone or iPad owning Windows users actually go on to purchase a Mac, while 20% would consider switching. The effect may have been greater in the past when the quality gap between the Windows experience and the Mac OS experience was greater. PC designs have become “satisfactory for the jobs to be done,” and the PC market is struggling as a result.

At the same time, Apple’s hardware and software advantages on the Mac platform may not quite appear as overwhelming as they did years ago. Wolf suggests that could lead some potential switchers to either stick with their current devices or to simply upgrade within the Windows ecosystem. The report points to “both the ultimate desktop and notebook computers” Apple’s iMac and MacBook Air, as the products that deliver the “wow factor.” In the time since those devices’ introductions though, Apple has been gradually improving their functionality and honing their designs but little has been done in terms of larger upgrades.

It should still be noted that Apple continues to generate the lion’s share of profit in the PC market. Apple’s Mac lineup generates more profits than the top five PC makers in the world combined according to a recent analysis .The company also continues to dominate in a number of segments, with its MacBook Air lineup taking 56% of its market section and the iMac continuing to set the pace for all-in-one desktop PC design.

Source: Needham & Co. via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Ricardodelsidney (08-28-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple should come out with their own tv line already.. Something that connects really well with the rest of their line up. That should motivate "switching" by those who have yet to consider it. I would make my next tv an apple product and that would motivate me to switch to Mac instead of the windows pc that's currently connected to my Samsung.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Like I said in an earlier article, I guarantee you that, as Microsoft continues to bluster in recent years (Windows 8) that graph's derivative will continue to rise.

Also, notice the incredible increase around the beginning of 2012. When there are spikes like that, there is bound to be a slight slowdown afterward as well.

People love predicting eminent demise for some reason (2012, anyone?)—even when it simply is not coming.
    Last edited by Christophxr; 08-28-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Win 8 just pushed more people away

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

It also doesn't help that Macs cost about 1.5-2 times as much as PCs, I'd say... I'm just guesstimating, but in these tough economic times, I bet that plays quite a roll...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jzhu625 View Post
    Win 8 just pushed more people away
    lmao! Because of Windows 8 I fell in love with Windows 7 all over again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post

According to one analyst, the Mac could become a victim of Apple’s own success along with the popularity of the iPhone and iPad, as reasons for stagnation in Mac sales growth. Mac shipments are still declining more slowly than the overall PC market but still declining nonetheless. Analyst Charlie Wolf of Needham & Co. believes this may be attributable to the Mac’s “wow factor” gradually fading.

Source: Needham & Co. via AppleInsider
    Do these 'analysts' even think about the crap they write outside of their little bubble? Both Mac and PC shipments are declining? What a shocker consider the weak, global, economic growth. Guess what? With growth in the consumer entertainment industry, and availability of portable devices/tablets, 'traditional' computer sales are declining and will continue to decline as the public continues to shift their purchasing power to the new portable entertainment model --- look! Look! I'm an 'analyst'! I'm predicting the FUTURE! Send me some money!

I like how the title implies this is due to the end of 'the Mac Cinderella' phase and nothing to do with general economic well-being coupled with another shift in technology.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 08-30-2013 at 07:15 AM.