+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bloomberg: Microsoft Fearing Talent Exodus

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Late last week, Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer announced plans to retire within the next twelve months. After more than a decade at the helm of Microsoft, Ballmer says
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Bloomberg: Microsoft Fearing Talent Exodus

Late last week, Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer announced plans to retire within the next twelve months.

After more than a decade at the helm of Microsoft, Ballmer says the time to step down has finally come. And when he goes, he may not be alone.

According to published reports Tuesday, some at Microsoft are concerned about nervous employees who have found Ballmer's announcement and no clear CEO succession plan to be somewhat disconcerting.

"Microsoft is telling employees that a reorganization plan by departing Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer will go ahead, seeking to reassure senior managers who are concerned that the search for a successor will throw turnaround efforts into disarray," Tuesday's report reads, citing unnamed sources.

Some Microsoft executives have seen an increase in outside job offers since the July restructuring plan and others may be tempted to leave after stock grants and bonuses are awarded in late August, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the communications were private.
    Although it isn't yet clear who will succeed Ballmer, one thing is certain. In addition to a CEO search, Microsoft will also have to stay vigilant in keeping employees and "tamping down unease that for some began with the July reorganization."

Source: Bloomberg

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft has nothing to fear, People still LOVE there windows 7 Operating system.

I know it's early, but with Windows 9 they need to concentrate on developing two operating systems instead of just making one. One for tablets, and another for standard computers.

Windows 8 is killing them, hopefully this will be resolved soon with their windows 8.1 update, which will have the "start menu" option.

Unfortunately, they are not doing that great with their mobile phone platform, but that's there fault for coming into the game late!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Windows 8 is killing them, hopefully this will be resolved soon with their windows 8.1 update, which will have the "start menu" option.
    That's a myth. Windows 8.1 only has a Start button that brings you to the same Windows 8 Start screen. It's deceiving and pointless.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm no Microsoft Fan boy I can assure you. but ....

Windows Hate for me is a game changer in that it's forcing PC & Laptop manufacturers into putting touch screens on everyday computers. Windows Hate is designed around a touch interface and even with a start button that just takes you to the metro screen anyway, Hate .1 is more of the same.

If you look at the cost of Laptops with touchscreens here in the UK, then 12 months ago you would have struggled to find a touchscreen laptop for less than £700 - £800 but today you can walk into Currys and buy a Sony touch screen laptop for around £450.
    In a few years time just about everything will have a touchscreen and we'll be using Hate .1

Microshaft are not going to go back to a 7 type interface and if you want a shiny new PC because your windows 7 dual core machine is almost dead, you'll have to get yourself one of the shiny new touchscreen devices which will have Windows Hate. whatever on it and you wont be able to downgrade it to 7 anyway even if you wanted too.

Misroshaft are shaping the future of PC's weather we like it or not. It's just a shame that current new PC customers are caught right in the middle. The Laptops at the moment are still designed for a keyboard mouse operating system and Windows Hate is a generation ahead.

Jolly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,760 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRogger View Post
    I'm no Microsoft Fan boy I can assure you. but ....

Windows Hate for me is a game changer in that it's forcing PC & Laptop manufacturers into putting touch screens on everyday computers. Windows Hate is designed around a touch interface and even with a start button that just takes you to the metro screen anyway, Hate .1 is more of the same.

If you look at the cost of Laptops with touchscreens here in the UK, then 12 months ago you would have struggled to find a touchscreen laptop for less than £700 - £800 but today you can walk into Currys and buy a Sony touch screen laptop for around £450.
    In a few years time just about everything will have a touchscreen and we'll be using Hate .1

Microshaft are not going to go back to a 7 type interface and if you want a shiny new PC because your windows 7 dual core machine is almost dead, you'll have to get yourself one of the shiny new touchscreen devices which will have Windows Hate. whatever on it and you wont be able to downgrade it to 7 anyway even if you wanted too.

Misroshaft are shaping the future of PC's weather we like it or not. It's just a shame that current new PC customers are caught right in the middle. The Laptops at the moment are still designed for a keyboard mouse operating system and Windows Hate is a generation ahead.

Jolly
    When Apple released the 1st iPad, I was positive they were moving towards touch screens on their laptops/desktops. Unfortunately, they didn't have the same vision I had and we're still stuck w/ the normal, everyday computer.

Windows has had 'tablet' computers way before the iPad but the touch part of it was always lacking. I believe you're correct in assuming most computers will end up w/ a touchscreen interface. Shoot, we already assume a lot of machines have touch capabilities when we accidentally touch the screen but nothing happens!

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Touch screens were never really the problem with the older windows touch screen computers. It was the software built around them. It was the same problem with the blackberry storm. Good touch screen - horrible software. They have to be made together as one. That's why Apples have done so well. Everything is made for each other. Microsoft is trying to do it, but its too late.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft starting cutting back on employees and try to rebuild from the inside. They needed a new image. They tried it with windows 8, and it didn't work. Now, things are getting serious.

Thanks

The hardware and software combo have to be on point. We have seen failures and we have seen success. While the iPad gives you a great experience, it is limited in most areas of business. No real Windows Suite etc.. The Surface Pro is a desktop OS with full capabilities but it failed. Why? The OS. Lack of store content and vision. Microsoft has been following tech for many years outside of desktop software. If they continue to follow they will never lead the charge.

Thanks

"Afraid of losing talent"? Oh my god that's funny. This, from the company that uses stacked ranking, to basically throw away 20% of their permanent workforce every year. (Yes, really. See the minimicrosoft blog (google it) - you will not believe this company is even still in existence.)

Thanks

The talent left more than 20 years ago.