+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'Jobs' Crashes and Burns at Weekend Box Office

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default 'Jobs' Crashes and Burns at Weekend Box Office

The new bio pic of the late Apple creator and tech visionary Steve Jobs starring Ashton Kutcher bombed at the box office on its opening weekend.

According to the WSJ, “Jobs” appears to be Hollywood’s version of the Apple Lisa.

Ouch.

The movie opened in seventh place, generating only $6.7 million despite opening broadly in the U.S. and Canada.

Critics characterized “Jobs” as lacking any of the attention to detail or stream-lined focus that Mr. Jobs brought to his projects.
    Also irritating some movie goers and Steve Jobs admirers is the fact that the film stops short of Jobs' triumphant return to the company he co-founded and the game changing innovations he made at the helm of Apple throughout the last decade.

Although Jobs appears to have missed the mark, a second movie about the iconic CEO is now in the works. Written by Aaron Sorkin and based on Walter Isaacson’s best-selling biography, this presently-unnamed film will probably do much better than "Jobs" at the box office.

Source: WSJ

Banned
    Thanks

Ashton Kutcher is a boring actor so....

Dub
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Perhaps bombing is part of its artistic statement...then the follow-up comes out and it's Episode IV meets Shawshank
    Last edited by Dub; 08-19-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think Aston did fantastic as young Steve Jobs. I really enjoyed the movie, only thing is it felt a bit rushed. They tried putting 30 years of Jobs' life into 2 hours, that's a hard thing to do. I believe people already have a preconceived idea that because it is Ashton Kutcher it will not be good. Why see a movie when you already think it sucks before you watch it?

I don't think this movie is for everyone, as a matter of fact I have advised most people not to see it. However, if you are interested in Apple and technology in general, I think it is worth seeing. I will even watch it again once the DVD is released. I am defiantly looking forward to the version based off of Walter Isaacson's biography though!

Thanks

iSteve on Netflix was better lol

Banned
    Thanks

I dont know why everyone hates on Ashton kutcher he's not an amazing actor but he's definitely not as bad as everyone makes him sound give the guy some credit

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xhazex9x For This Useful Post:

quidam_brujah (08-20-2013), Silverado1987 (08-19-2013)

Thanks

I personally didn't have much faith in this one. Only had "buzz" because Ashton Kutcher was playing the lead role. Guess the cover was better than the book :]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Honestly, this movie should have been a cable produced movie. There's no way there are enough people that want to go see this movie (especially in the summer when there are so many good choices). Really, it was bad timing, a bad promotion of it and just the wrong venue. I love Apple, I love Apple products; I'd never go pay to see this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
    I am defiantly looking forward to the version based off of Walter Isaacson's biography though!
    defiantly looking forward to the version based off of Walter Isaacson's biography though!
    defiantly looking forward
    defiantly
    Defiantly:
    rebelliously: in a rebellious manner; "he rejected her words rebelliously".

Perhaps you meant definitely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Ashton Kutcher is a boring actor so....
    He's also not an android phone so there's that reason to hate him.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The target audience is Apple fanboys. And even at that, I doubt many would want to see it. I'm an Apple fanboy and have no interest in seeing it. I did read his biography though. It was really good.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Saved0ne's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Aston did fantastic as young Steve Jobs. I really enjoyed the movie, only thing is it felt a bit rushed. They tried putting 30 years of Jobs' life into 2 hours, that's a hard thing to do. I believe people already have a preconceived idea that because it is Ashton Kutcher it will not be good. Why see a movie when you already think it sucks before you watch it?

I don't think this movie is for everyone, as a matter of fact I have advised most people not to see it. However, if you are interested in Apple and technology in general, I think it is worth seeing. I will even watch it again once the DVD is released. I am defiantly looking forward to the version based off of Walter Isaacson's biography though!
    Very well said. I think JOBS was great. Ashton did a very very good job. Plus he was fun to talk to when I saw him.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs down 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Saved0ne View Post
    Very well said. I think JOBS was great. Ashton did a very very good job. Plus he was fun to talk to when I saw him.

Good thing they did not wait for ios 8 to come out!

Should have dropped it when ios 1 was hot!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Huh, I haven't even seen any TV ads about the movie so I didn't know it was out yet. They need to do a little advertising maybe..

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsu View Post
    Defiantly:
    rebelliously: in a rebellious manner; "he rejected her words rebelliously".

Perhaps you meant definitely.
    Oops! Yes, I meant definitely. I was typing fast and made a typo. When I right-clicked to correct it, I just chose the first suggested word without paying much attention.

Thanks

It deserves to crash for not explicitly stating in the title that it is only part one. I would have been angry if I had gone to see it also.
    At least I'll know what I'm in for if I ever do decide to catch it. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    I dont know why everyone hates on Ashton kutcher he's not an amazing actor but he's definitely not as bad as everyone makes him sound give the guy some credit
    I'd take him over most of DiCaprio's work.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    I'd take him over most of DiCaprio's work.
    are you serious? Leonardo DiCaprio is in the same league as Robert De Nero and Al Pacino while Ashton Kutcher is like Ben Affleck and Jason Statham., ie :Why are they famous"

I just tried to think of 3 Ashton Kutcher movies and couldn't think of one., I asked my wife the same and she can only think of one.

Leonardo on the other hand has award winning movies like; Titanic, Catch me if you can, What's eating Gilbert Grape, Blood Diamond, The Aviator, The Departed, and Shutter Island.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 08-20-2013 at 04:48 PM.