Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JOBS Biopic Released in Theaters and Receives Mixed Reviews

Thanks

Default JOBS Biopic Released in Theaters and Receives Mixed Reviews

The Steve Jobs biography named JOBS recently launched in theaters and despite several vigorous marketing campaigns, the movie appears to have garnered mixed reviews for not only its content but also the performance of the lead actor, Ashton Kutcher.

As of right now, the movie was ranked as “rotten” on the movie review aggregation Rotten Tomatoes with a score of 25 out of 100. Publications such as The Washington Post also gave the movie a score of 1.5 stars out of 4, pointing out that the movie focuses more on Apple and less on Steve Jobs himself, which tends to defeat the purpose of the title. The following was mentioned by the publication regarding the movie:

Directed by Joshua Michael Stern ("Swing Vote") and written by first-time screenwriter Matt Whiteley, "Jobs" confuses the story of Apple, the company, with the story of its guru and guiding force, spending way too much time on backroom personnel dealings than on encounters that might help us understand, on a deep level, the title character.

The film is so thick with Jobs's career highlights and lowlights that there's little room for insights. What made this famously private man tick?
    Other popular publications such as The New York Times offered a similar opinion of the movie, claiming it had “all the sex appeal of a PowerPoint presentation.” The following was mentioned by the NYT regarding the movie:

But Mr. Kutcher doesn't have the tools that some actors use to transcend weak material and either he didn't receive any help or didn't allow any real direction from Mr. Stern. Mr. Kutcher's tendency to cap so many emotional scenes with small, self-satisfied smiles is especially unfortunate because they can’t help but bring to mind his other career as a pitchman for digital cameras.

The greater blame rests on the filmmakers, who never find a way to navigate the "passions, perfectionism, demons, desires, artistry, devilry and obsession for control" that Walter Isaacson enumerated in "Steve Jobs," his 2011 authorized biography.
    Steve Jobs’ former colleagues who were also present during the timeframe the movie’s plot took place in also weighed in and provided their input of the movie. Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak gave a short review of the film to Gizmodo, where he complimented the acting but noted that the movie left out several important events and interactions that actually took place. Woz said the following regarding the movie:

I felt bad for many people I know well who were portrayed wrongly in their interactions with Jobs and the company. The movie ends pretty much where the great Jobs finally found product success (the iPod) and changed so many of our lives. I'm grateful to Steve for his excellence in the i-era, and his contribution to my own life of enjoying great products, but this movie portrays him having had those skills in earlier times.
    JOBS is currently showing in theaters around the world with the movie said to debut on Netflix in the spring of 2014 as well. There Is another Steve Jobs movie in the works being worked on by screenwriter Aaron Sorkin, set to debut sometime in 2014 as well.

Have any of you had a chance to watch the movie? If so, what were your thoughts?

Source: Gizmodo, The New York Times, Rotten Tomatoes, The Washington Post

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't seen the movie and I'm sad to hear that the reviews are so bad. I am, however, quite excited to hear that a talented, academy award winning, screen writer (Aaron Sorkin) is being given the opportunity to do Steve Jobs' story justice. This particular film might not have lived up to Steve's legend, but with the right people behind it, there is all the material for an excellent movie just waiting to be written and filmed. I look forward to it.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Cowboy seen it lastnight waiting to hear how it was.

I knew Aston would ruin itthey need to stop giving him roles he sucks. He completely ruined two and half men as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan1683 View Post
    I knew Aston would ruin itthey need to stop giving him roles he sucks. He completely ruined two and half men as well.
    well no other actor looks like steve jobs who would you rather play the part steven segal?

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan1683 View Post
    Have you seen it?

I knew Ashton would ruin this... I'll prob watch it anyways next year on Netflix.

It wasn't that bad in my opinion. Not great but Ashton had all of the correct mannerisms I though.

Quote Originally Posted by mik3y08 View Post
    Have you seen it?
    It's mediocre at best when I do watch it.

Well I've seen the movie (friday night). It wasn't as bad as others have made it seem. Ashton did an excellent job. You can tell he study Steve Jobs. He even has his walk down pack. The only thing I didn't like was they didn't go into more detail. The movie stop at 2001 (when he created the iPod). I think it should have went as deep into it as when he made the iPhone. Otherall I give the movie at 7 out of 10.