+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Starts Graphics Card Replacement Program for Select Mid-2011 iMacs

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Starts Graphics Card Replacement Program for Select Mid-2011 iMacs

Apple recently launched a replacement program for the graphics card in some mid-2011 iMac configurations according to the folks over at 9to5Mac. A recent note sent to Apple Support employee’s states that the AMD Radeon 6970 video cards in some 27-inch May 2011 iMacs have experienced issues causing them to fail.

Apple has determined that some AMD Radeon HD 6970M video cards used in 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors may fail, causing the computer’s display to appear distorted, white or blue with vertical lines, or to turn black. iMac computers with affected video cards were sold between May 2011 and October 2012.
    The iMacs that are affected contain serial numbers with the following last four characters: DHJQ, DHJW, DL8Q, DNGH, DNJ9, DMW8, DPM1, DPM2, DPNV, DNY0, DRVP, DY6F, or F610. The errors have been previously noted by many users on the Apple Support forums. As a result, the Cupertino California company will replace the graphics card of affected iMacs with the aforementioned serial numbers at no cost for up to three years fro the date that the computer was purchased, which makes early adopters eligible until May 2014.

Those of you that have been affected or know someone who has can initiate replacements through AppleCare, the Genius Bar, or Apple Authorized Resellers. Those of you who ended up paying for a graphics card replacement are also eligible for a refund so if you fall under the category of affected users and you ended up paying, we’d recommend getting in touch through your preferred channel to get the issue resolved.

Source: Apple via 9to5Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

bisayakid07 (08-18-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does having the matching serial number alone qualify for an upgrade or must the display show the defects.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Blah, I just had mine replaced last month. Twice, actually. I didn't have apple care so I used my credit card extended warranty service. So I didn't technically pay for it...I wonder if I can still get a refund...hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by FireRN View Post
    Does having the matching serial number alone qualify for an upgrade or must the display show the defects.
    I might take it to them anyway, get a fresh card in there. But, if you bought it in mid-late 2011 you've still got another year for it to go bad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Interesting...this happened to mine back in January of this year. I had to pay $408.50 out of pocket to get it fixed since I was out of the warranty by a few days. My serial number ends in DHJW, so looks like I'm going to go attempt to get a refund now.

update:
    well that was easy enough, called up Apple Care, refund in a few days back on my credit card.
    Last edited by TypeRBass; 08-17-2013 at 07:40 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks. Calling them now!