Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: U.S. Judge Dismisses Apple App Store Antitrust Complaint

Thanks

Default U.S. Judge Dismisses Apple App Store Antitrust Complaint

A lawsuit which recently claimed Apple has a monopoly over apps sold through the iTunes App Store was recently thrown out. The plaintiffs were found to lack grounds for the complaint as they had never purchased the apps in question. The procedural misstep, which prompted U.S. District Court Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers to grant Apple’s motion to dismiss the case, will likely be only a brief respite as the complaint can simple be amended and re-filed according to Bloomberg.

According to Judge Gonzalez, plaintiffs didn’t prove:

…collective allegations that they have been deprived of lower cost alternatives, paid higher prices for Apple-approved applications, or had their iPhones disabled or destroyed. At a minimum, plaintiffs must allege facts showing that each named plaintiff has personally suffered an injury-in-fact based on Apple’s alleged conduct.
    The suit was first leveled against in 2011 and accuses Apple of conducting monopolistic practices by creating an ecosystem in which apps are only available through the App Store. Furthermore, Apple’s 30% cut of each sale inflates the price of apps, while the company disallows competition in the way of third-party alternatives.

In its March motion to dismiss, Apple pointed out that it doesn’t set prices for apps sold through the App Store. The company also mentioned there aren’t laws against changing a percentage of proceeds for distribution. Despite the setback, lawyer for the plaintiffs Alexander Schmidt said the Judge’s requirements are easily met, suggesting the group will re-file in the near future.

Source: Bloomberg
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 08-16-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

99 sure does hurt the wallet everytime I buy an app...

But it could have been 66... no store should be allowed to make money of items they sell it their store. That's down right UN-AMERICAN. Exclusive features are not allowed to set one competitor above the other.

If this get's approved I'm filing lawsuits against Microsoft (Halo Wars, Office for Surface tablet, and a few others) for all the "exclusive" features they have, for inflating the price by taking a profit and not allowing it to be sold through other venues on other devices. Of course I'll purchase the items first...
    Last edited by REMED1AL; 08-16-2013 at 08:46 AM.

This is the dumbest lawsuit ever. If you don't want to be stuck buying from the App Store, DON'T BUY AN IOS DEVICE!!!!

It's not like Apple as a monopoly on portable computing devices. Far from it!

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    This is the dumbest lawsuit ever. If you don't want to be stuck buying from the App Store, DON'T BUY AN IOS DEVICE!!!!

+1 I say.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

your statement is the dumbest thing I've read all week. why should people be locked into apple's ecosystem? why aren't you free do do what ever you want with YOUR device., or does apple still own it and you're renting it? if YOU want your apps from the app store nobody will force you to buy from somewhere else but there are people out there who don't like apple's way of doing things and they'd like another option--aside from another OS.

apple is very anti competitive, they to corner the market, they want all your money for themselves and keep you tethered to their way of doing things.

there is NO VIABLE reason why apple should want to prevent you from buying your apps from elsewhere., their reason is your money. they'll sell you some BS about security and blah blah blah but its all about money.

It really scrambles my brain when I hear people complain about what they cant do with an iDevice yet they refuse to give it up.