Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Roku Beats Out Apple TV as Most-Used Streaming Set-Top Box in U.S.

Thanks

Default Roku Beats Out Apple TV as Most-Used Streaming Set-Top Box in U.S.

A recently released report focusing on the U.S. streaming video device market stated that Roku owners use their set-top streamer more than those who have an Apple TV. The independent study conducted by Parks Associates found that 37% of households with a streaming video media device primarily use a Roku product, while 24% use an Apple TV. The survey covered 10,000 U.S. households with broadband Internet connections during the first quarter of 2013. According to Roku’s founder and CEO Anthony Wood:

Roku customers are passionate about streaming, and we are delighted that independent research shows that we are the most popular streaming platform measured by usage on a U.S. household basis.
    The research firm continued by predicting global sales of connected TV devices will reach 330 million by 2017, nearly double the number sold in 2013. The segment is said to include gaming consoles, smart TVs, standalone Blu-ray players, and other products that are capable of streaming video from the Internet. Although the product prices are said to eventually fall, revenues are set to increase by almost 100%. One of the major drivers of market growth Is said to be next-generation video technology such as 4K television sets, which may be too expensive to justify purchasing on the prospect of Internet streaming access alone as of right now. Parks Associates research director Barbara Kraus had the following to say regarding the topic:

As a result, streaming video media devices will have a thriving market because they can offer innovations such as streaming video at low prices. Devices such as Roku's streaming players and Google’s Chromecast will benefit from these market conditions.
    The recent report is contrasted by a study from June that found Apple’s TV accounting for 56% of sector sales in 2012, pushed along by its AirPlay functionality. In that study, Roku came in a distant second with a 21% market share. Either way, the growth of streaming devices continues to be steady.

Do any of you use a streaming video device? If so, what is your preference?

Source: Parks Associates

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I use roku and I LOVE it! I have both the roku 3 & roku 2 models.

My household owns 3 iPhone, 2 iPod touch and 1 iPad 2. I almost purchased the Apple TV simply for its "air play" function.

At the end, I decided on the roku simply for its channel selection, we mostly use Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime & HBO GO. It's WAY cheaper to watch movies on it since we don't have to rent/buy everything.

Once the roku gets full "air play" functionality it will be unstoppable.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Since Windows/Mac XBMC app supports AirPlay (both audio and video), will the RoKu XBMC app ever add this feature as well?

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Every new, decent quality, medium-range and above TV sold is as a smart web-connected TV bundled with these services built in. Roku and Apple TV aren't going to last very long unless they offer something those TVs can't. Without that, these standalone devices will go the way of the PND (personal navigation device). And yes, I know PNDs are still being purchased, but they offer reliable GPS when there is no cell coverage, while a cellphone with aGPS without a cell connection is pretty much worthless unless you are standing outside on top of a mountain or you a have a GPS extender (via Bluetooth or as an add on like the one sold by TomTom).
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

I was going to get a roku 3 for my spare room, but I ended up with an appleTV simply because I could get it for free. I use Plex for all my home media and if it wasnt for the plexconnect "hack" (or jailbreak for earlier models) the appleTV would be a paper weight to me. Roku definitely offers a better channel selection and probably would've been my streaming box of choice if I ended up spending my money on one.

I'd say that's pretty good share for Apple seeing as they have never really put any serious work towards Apple TV like they do the iPhone/iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    At the end, I decided on the roku simply for its channel selection, we mostly use Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime & HBO GO.

Once the roku gets full "air play" functionality it will be unstoppable.
    the only thing Apple TV is missing for you is Amazon Prime, which is mostly redundant from Netflix and will probably get there eventually, plus it already has the Airplay you want. I can't imagine Roku getting Airplay outside of new boxes you'll have to repurchase.

PLAY ON ROKU already exists in iOS devices to do some AIRPLAY like functions. Plus ROKU is developing more capability. Free.

Or you can get a GOOGLE CHROMECAST for $35. (Mine just shipped from amazon) and use that device.

Bottom Line: AirPlay function is over hype and is available if you need it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I'd say that's pretty good share for Apple seeing as they have never really put any serious work towards Apple TV like they do the iPhone/iPad.

the only thing Apple TV is missing for you is Amazon Prime, which is mostly redundant from Netflix and will probably get there eventually, plus it already has the Airplay you want. I can't imagine Roku getting Airplay outside of new boxes you'll have to repurchase.
    With a jailbroken iDevice, you can get Amazon Prime to work! It's a tweak called UnrestrictPremium which lets you stream almost ANYTHING from an iDevice to ATV.

I love my Apple TVs but only use it to stream movies from my computer to the TV. Aside from that, I NEVER use it for online stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Every new, decent quality, medium-range and above TV sold is as a smart web-connected TV bundled with these services built in. Roku and Apple TV aren't going to last very long unless they offer something those TVs can't. Without that, these standalone devices will go the way of the PND (personal navigation device). And yes, I know PNDs are still being purchased, but they offer reliable GPS when there is no cell coverage, while a cellphone with aGPS without a cell connection is pretty much worthless unless you are standing outside on top of a mountain or you a have a GPS extender (via Bluetooth or as an add on like the one sold by TomTom).
    Smart TVs are too expensive right now, I paid $189 for my 32" LG 720P TV and $59.00 for the roku 2 X.D for a total $248.00. I love the portability of these streaming players too, I recently took my roku with me and used it in a hotel I was staying in.

Another major advantage roku has over apple tv, is the fact that I can plug a usb key or portable HD drive and watch my huge MKV movie collection right on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

You do realize that netflix uses amazon's servers to stream their videos dont you?

With an apple tv, I can just load any videos I want from my ipad or iphone and airplay it over. I truly believe the apple tv is better because of these functions. If you don't own apple products. The Ruko is probably a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    You do realize that netflix uses amazon's servers to stream their videos dont you?

With an apple tv, I can just load any videos I want from my ipad or iphone and airplay it over. I truly believe the apple tv is better because of these functions. If you don't own apple products. The Ruko is probably a better option.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your statement about the appletv.

The device is crud, I got it for you guessed it, AirPlay & its crap, I use it mainly for moviebox for my shows & it takes ages to start a stream & sometime cuts out half way through.

Now streaming to my Revo with XBMC on it, works flawlessly through AirPlay (yes xbmc supports airplay has done for sometime now), so its the damn Apple TV

I do use netflix on it & that's all it's good for to be honest.

I can't get a Roku 3 here in the UK as there not being sold here & I'm not paying another £130+ for it on amazon when its only $99 shipped in the US.
    Apple are Control freaks we need to stop them before they take over the world!!

Quote Originally Posted by rocky5 View Post
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your statement about the appletv.

The device is crud, I got it for you guessed it, AirPlay & its crap, I use it mainly for moviebox for my shows & it takes ages to start a stream & sometime cuts out half way through.

Now streaming to my Revo with XBMC on it, works flawlessly through AirPlay (yes xbmc supports airplay has done for sometime now), so its the damn Apple TV

If it takes a long time to start a stream, there's probably something going on with your network configuration. The only thing that didn't airplay over for me was slingplayer. And they've come out with an update to the app a couple of weeks ago and airplay works fine now.