+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly Acquires Second Screen Startup Matcha.tv

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Reportedly Acquires Second Screen Startup Matcha.tv

Apple has apparently acquired Matcha.tv, a relatively small startup that recently shuttered - unexpectedly - its service, fueling speculation that it was purchased.

Tonight we can confirm such a purchase. And the buyer is the world's most profitable company. A source with knowledge close to the deal admits that Matcha.tv has been acquired by Apple for at least $1.5 million.

If you've never heard of Matcha.tv, it was an iOS app that "provided a comprehensive overview of everything thatís available to watch via cable TV providers (Comcast), streaming video services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime), and digital video stores (iTunes, Amazon)."

If you're thinking that this sounds like something very useful for Apple TV or Apple's connected HDTV project (assuming that it ever shows up), you wouldn't be alone in that assessment. "While Apple hasnít been very specific about its plans to revolutionize the TV industry," Venture Beat reported tonight, "buying this service could suggest Matcha.tvís technology is in line with those future TV plans."

Source: VentureBeat

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm bummed I didn't have Matcha already and now I have to wait for Apple to release something to give me access. Although I hate Cable for their weak hardware and terrible service I do prefer the all inclusive guide button for all my options to watch in one place. Too many menus get's old quick.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can use CANISTREAM.IT to get similar functionality. That and TVGUIDE app.