Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will Apple Make a Bid For BlackBerry?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Will Apple Make a Bid on BlackBerry?

As MMi reported Monday, the BlackBerry Board of Directors recently convened to explore strategic alternatives. By Tuesday, the headlines were screaming the obvious: BlackBerry is for sale.

And while the rumor mill will likely have a good deal of fun with the prospect of Apple buying the embattled Canadian smartphone maker, there are no signs to indicate that the iPhone maker will even come to the table for talks with BlackBerry.

In the past, analysts have speculated - often wildly - that Apple would make a move for BlackBerry if the public company ever decided to put itself up for sale. And although that's essentially what happened this week, Apple may have no interest in BlackBerry.

According to the Wall Street Journal, BlackBerry is looking for a fresh start and hopes a buyer can extricate the company from its current predicament. And so BlackBerry is on the market, “a signal the company that pioneered the smartphone market now sees its prospects as a stand-alone public company diminishing fast.”

BlackBerry’s decision to “explore strategic alternatives” follows the company’s all-out effort to develop new phones and a new operating system fell flat in the wireless market.
    “During the past year, management and the Board have been focused on launching the BlackBerry 10 platform and BES 10, establishing a strong financial position, and evaluating the best approach to delivering long-term value for customers and shareholders,” says Timothy Dattels, Chairman of BlackBerry’s Special Committee of the Board. “Given the importance and strength of our technology, and the evolving industry and competitive landscape, we believe that now is the right time to explore strategic alternatives.”

There can be no assurance, BlackBerry warned last night, that this exploration process will result in any transaction. Nonetheless, JP Morgan Securities LLC is serving as financial adviser to BlackBerry and Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP and Torys LLP are serving as legal advisers.

So, if not Apple, who may gobble up BlackBerry? Huawei, ZTE, and Tata are just three of the early names to be rumored. But that list is going to grow a lot longer in the days to come.

Source: WSJ

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

No. Apple has no interest in RIM. Their products are worthless to Apple. RIM's patents haven't yielded any discernible value for RIM, so how could they help Apple. If RIM could make a buck through litigation they'd have already pursued that avenue.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-13-2013)

Thanks

I agree ^^ Why would Apple buy a company that hasn't turned a profit in who knows how long?? None of their products are innovative at this time and date. I would rather see them align with another company and build something worth buying.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboyz For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-13-2013)

Thanks

Agreed with both comments. They should have released bbm on all platforms ages ago and they would be where whatsapp are now! And could have turned over some serious profit just for one piece of software.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to se23 For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-13-2013)

Lots of rumors are coming up every day; it is better not to comment on it, let’s wait and see what happens in future.

Banned
    Thanks

lord help us if apple did buy RIM, all they'd do is use the patents for more lawsuits.