Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung to Purchase German-Based OLED Firm Novaled for $347 Million

Thanks

Default Samsung to Purchase German-Based OLED Firm Novaled for $347 Million

Even though Apple and Samsung continue to fight against one another, the two seem to be inseparable. The South Korean tech giant still makes a number of iOS device components, including processors and displays. That being said, it was interesting to see that Samsung is in the process of purchasing Novaled, a German-based OLED (organic light-emitting diode) company, for a staggering 260 million euros or $347 million USD. According to The Wall Street Journal:

Samsung will buy Novaled through affiliate Cheil Industries Inc.,001300.SE -0.47% which makes electronic materials for OLED displays, and its electronics arm, Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE +1.07%
    This move shows that Samsung is committed to OLED technology, which is more energy efficient and usually produces more vivid images than competing technology. As of right now, it is being said that the OLED panel business will more than double in the next four years and Samsung is trying to secure a tighter grip in the space.

The latest deal will help the group secure a better foothold in the market for next-generation displays employing organic light-emitting diodes. OLED displays are now used widely in smartphones but are also increasingly being adopted in televisions for their energy efficiency and ability to reproduce vivid colors. Revenue in the OLED display market is poised to grow to $20 billion by 2017 from just $8 billion in 2012, according to market research firm DisplaySearch.
    Samsung has been supplying Apple with panels for its iOS devices for quite some time. According to a recent report from DisplaySearch, Apple ordered over four million 9.7-inch displays from Samsung last quarter and the two are set to partner up again on the upcoming iPad mini refresh as well. As far as Novaled goes, it was founded in 2001 by German research firm Fraunhofer Institute and the Technical University of Dresden. The company makes OLEDs for displays and lightning and will continue to do so after the acquisition.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Please tell me the EU will step in here and block this deal. Samsung already produces most of the OLED panels used in world. Last time I checked was a year ago and they owned about 80% of the world's OLED manufacturing capacity. Any consolidation in this area hurts competition and clearly represents an antitrust issue, regardless of whether or not this purchase is for IP or production capacity. Given OLED is likely to replace LCD as costs decrease, it only seems reasonable to to ensure competition in this space is maintained.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Thanks

Agreed^^ Also, last I checked Apple is a hardware company, why are they not going after opportunities like this? This would help them remove the crutch that has been so tightly by its side called Samsung. Apple keeps buying software companies..hmmm??