Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jobs Wanted to Kill Pro Products at One Point

Thanks

Default Jobs Wanted to Kill Pro Products at One Point

In a recent blog post by former Apple ad consultant, Ken Segall, it was revealed that Steve Jobs once considered killing off the company’s professional product offerings including hardware such as the Mac Pro and software such as Final Cut Pro. Apple has long been known as one of the few computer manufacturers that cater to both consumers and professional users but Segall pointed out that ad one point, Jobs had reservations about continuing the company’s pro lineup. According to Segall:

His rationale was as you might expect: consumer products have an unlimited upside, while pro products are aimed at a niche market that eats up major resources.
    Jobs weighed the options before airing his idea at an ad agency meeting, which was apparently during a time when Apple’s iMac had just become a global bestseller. Segall noted the following:

Obviously, the pro market has value for Apple, even if its numbers are relatively small. Pros are opinion leaders, influencers and evangelists. Their love of Apple shows up in the purchase decisions of friends, family and colleagues.
    In the end, Jobs obviously decided to stick with the program, though Segall suggests that Apple’s philosophy on what it considers “pro” may have changed over the past few years. For example, the latest Final Cut X has been streamlined with an easy-to-use interface moving toward the look of iMovie. Many professional users were vocal about the changes that Apple made to the program but the decisions as well as the lower price of entry brought in a wider audience. A similar change seems to be coming to the Mac Pro which is finally getting a redesign after years of being passed over. The new stylish black cylinder boasts a user-friendly design with easy expansion via six Thunderbolt 2 ports, four USB 3.0 ports and two Gigabit Ethernet ports.

Unlike the previous Mac Pro, the next-generation model doesn’t have too many internal upgrades but it does offer a consumer-minded design. Some professional users may be turned off by the changes but the tweaks could bring renewed consumer interest in standalone towers, a segment of the industry moving toward extinction.

Segall ended his post with a provoking thought. Out of all of its products, Apple has only killed off one major hardware design: the 17-inch MacBook Pro. He said the following regarding the matter:

Unless you believe that in the future pros will suddenly prefer working on smaller screens, it’s hard to see this as a positive development. Of course all will be forgiven if that little baby were to come back, all nice and Retina-ized…
    What are your thoughts about the whole situation?

Source: Ken Segall (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

that explains a lot, a.k.a. screw pro users

Pro's define Excellence, Apple's move away from that has caused their software to be mediocre at best.

Also Pro's pay a premium to get a better product, so Apple need to ponder the question,

Have we made more money by going after the masses or should we have given the pro's what they need/want?
    Last edited by dsg; 08-10-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 2,146 Posts

I have a 17" MBP & love it! Bit gutted when I heard the new Retina MBP's culled the17"! Oh that's right I'm just a consumer...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    I have a 17" MBP & love it! Bit gutted when I heard the new Retina MBP's culled the17"! Oh that's right I'm just a consumer...
    I wish they kept the seventeen inch screens. I'm not sure retina is still worth it for me I'd consider it is the MacBook Pro got a redesign that's better not saying the current is horrible of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    that explains a lot, a.k.a. screw pro users

Pro's define Excellence, Apple's move away from that has caused their software to be mediocre at best.

Also Pro's pay a premium to get a better product, so Apple need to ponder the question,

Have we made more money by going after the masses or should we have given the pro's what they need/want?
    Mediocre? Come on, you can't really believe that. Have you used the new version of Logic? It's AMAZING. Final Cut is really great too. I understand that it's a pretty radical departure from most DAWs, but it's one of the fastest editors out there. It's definitely not going to be replacing Premiere any time soon, but it has a place. Apple makes some really great software. It might not be for everyone, but mediocre is not an accurate descriptor.

Jobs wanted to and Jobs considerd it are two different things. He's running a business and will consider anything that may or may not increase profits.

Thanks

If they would have killed the pro line I think they would have killed Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelucky View Post
    Mediocre? Come on, you can't really believe that. Have you used the new version of Logic? It's AMAZING. Final Cut is really great too. I understand that it's a pretty radical departure from most DAWs, but it's one of the fastest editors out there. It's definitely not going to be replacing Premiere any time soon, but it has a place. Apple makes some really great software. It might not be for everyone, but mediocre is not an accurate descriptor.
    never really liked Logic even when emagic made it, I use protools myself and I'm not a fan of the new Final Cut

Mediocre is probably too harsh, but I don't regard the new Final Cut as pro software, can't comment on Logic
    Last edited by dsg; 08-10-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

I enjoy my Mbp but I still feel its way overpriced especially for the hardware you get ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    never really liked Logic even when emagic made it, I use protools myself and I'm not a fan of the new Final Cut

Mediocre is probably too harsh, but I don't regard the new Final Cut as pro software, can't comment on Logic
    Yea I will stick with Final Cut Studio 3.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-10-2013)

Thanks

I like the screen size of the 17" MBP but I don't like lugging it around. You have to buy a special bag/backpack just to carry it haha. I prefer my 15" MBP. Make a Mac Mini with internal power source and i'll carry that around too :]

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    If they would have killed the pro line I think they would have killed Apple.
    Maybe stubbed their toe is more like it.