+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Announces Power Adapter Takeback Program

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Following issues with counterfeit Apple USB power adapters that have resulted in the death of two ( 1 ), ( 2 ) in China, Apple has announced a new USB
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Announces Power Adapter Takeback Program

Following issues with counterfeit Apple USB power adapters that have resulted in the death of two (1), (2) in China, Apple has announced a new USB power adapter take-back program to help get safe and approved USB power adapters in users’ hands.

Through the new program, users will be able to bring any USB power adapter (third-party or Apple's), as well as the device the user is charging with it, to a local Apple Store and it can be recycled in an “environmentally friendly” way. Another part of the program will allow users to purchase a legitimate Apple USB power adapter for just $10, usually a $19 purchase.

Apple recently published a new Web page on their Web site to educate users on how to tell the difference between Apple's own USB power adapters and counterfeits trying to be just like Apple, but with skipping the necessary and important safety testing.

The half-off USB power adapter promotion will begin on August 16th, and will last for a limited time. The promotion will end on October 18th.

Sources: Apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

that is pretty cool I dont know of any company that would take another product that they dont make and exchange it with there own even if u have to pay

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sheon For This Useful Post:

bisayakid07 (08-06-2013)

Thanks

Sweet. Maybe if I can find some knockoffs for $5 I can end up with a cheaper lightning cable! Lol

Thanks

They would take the cord as well?
    Maybe I misunderstood I thought this was for adapter.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wow, so 2 people in China die due to shoddy third party chargers and Apple takes up the cause to replace them at their own expense? Kinda hard to believe, but as long as I get good chargers.

Time to go buy some $1 chargers on ebay to trade in!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sheon View Post
    that is pretty cool I dont know of any company that would take another product that they dont make and exchange it with there own even if u have to pay
    Every company would do that if their product killed 2 people, the charger wasn't theirs but the phone was so it kinda makes them half at fault

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    Every company would do that if their product killed 2 people, the charger wasn't theirs but the phone was so it kinda makes them half at fault
    How are they half at fault? The phone just conducted the current, it didn't supply it. That's like saying they should also blame the power company for sending the current to the outlet because without that there wouldn't have been any deaths.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slim.jim For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (08-06-2013), recognition (08-06-2013)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I never buy knock offs! They never stand up to Apples products.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I never buy knock offs! They never stand up to Apples products.
    I was like you, but about 2 months ago my cord broke (for my 4S) and I wasn't about to waste $20 on a new one because I'm getting the next iPhone when it comes out which will use the lighting cable, so I found a 4 pack off Amazon for $5. They all work well so I'm happy with it.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually really like my knock off cables/adapters, they work great! At least Apple finally lowered the price on the cables/adapters to what they should be! $20 is ridiculous, it shouldn't surprise Apple at all that customers are purchasing knock offs!

Thanks

The problem is, all the legitimate ones I've had since the iPhone 3G have had subtle differences and it makes some counterfeits impossible to identify. My real chargers got mixed with various counterfeits I had purchased online from different sources and thought they were legitimate because they were different from obvious counterfeits I had purchased before. I discovered (first-hand) how dangerous the counterfeits were. Since I couldn't tell the difference between so many of my chargers, I had to get rid of every one quite a while back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I was like you, but about 2 months ago my cord broke (for my 4S) and I wasn't about to waste $20 on a new one because I'm getting the next iPhone when it comes out which will use the lighting cable, so I found a 4 pack off Amazon for $5. They all work well so I'm happy with it.
    There's no problem using cheap cords for the iPhone 1 to the iPhone 4S. They all work perfectly fine but as for the iPhone 5 the cheap cords for it don't work properly. They last for a week to a month. The only quality alternative for the iPhone 5 is the black cord made by amazon for $14 but it has a bigger plug end so it's not compatible with lifeproof/otter box armor etc