+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Video Supposedly Shows Partially Assembled Next-Gen iPad

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Video Supposedly Shows Partially Assembled Next-Gen iPad

A recently posted video allegedly shows a partially assembled next-generation iPad, with a redesigned rear shell attached to a front cover panel boasting bezels that appear to be substantially thinner than current models of Apple’s tablet. The short clip was uploaded to Japanese Apple Mac Otakara’s YouTube channel, though it’s unclear where the footage was obtained. As such, the authenticity of the content cannot be verified and is offered for purposes of discussion.

What we see in the video is a partially assembled 9.7-inch iPad with design cues taken from the existing iPad mini, including rounded corners, thinner bezels and a rear-facing microphone. For reference, the purported next-gen tablet is sitting between the current-generation models of the iPad and iPad mini. What appears to be noticeably absent are the tablet’s internals, including basic circuitry like a home button. However, since the assembly is missing a display, the black front panel stands out in sharp relief against the assumedly aluminum rear shell, granting a look at how thin the side bezels are compared to a current iPad.

Also seen through the front glass is Apple’s logo, which is revealed to be a translucent white color when viewed from the back, much like Apple’s MacBook lineup. By contrast, current iPads feature an opaque black plastic insert that acts as a window for radio signals. Although unlikely, the design could allow for an illuminated logo lit by the LCD panel’s LED backlighting system. This feature would be difficult to implement, however as adhesive is used to secure the tablet’s large battery pack to the interior shell wall, a design that covers the Apple logo in both the fourth-generation iPad and iPad mini.

Those of you who are interested in watching the clip can do so below:

Although there isn’t much we can gather from the short clip, it does offer one of the first looks at what Apple’s rumored fifth-generation iPad may look like. Apple is widely expected to launch a refreshed full-size iPad later this year, with rumors pointing to a revamped design more in line with the iPad mini’s slim, curved body. As an anticipated fall debut quickly approaches, the number of part “leaks” is quickly growing so expect to see a lot of rumors circulating.

Source: Mac Otakara

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

It looks like a widescreen screen.16x9
    Stupid that they keep releasing square 4x3 iPads where everything else is 16x9 these days.
    Bust as Apple are so behind in their thinking I would expect them to keep the 4x3 old style and not go with the current standard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    Stupid that they keep releasing square 4x3 iPads where everything else is 16x9 these days.
    Bust as Apple are so behind in their thinking I would expect them to keep the 4x3 old style and not go with the current standard.
    Just because something is 16:9 doesn't make the screen any better. Apple still uses 16:10 in many cases which is preferred for desktop usage but it's cheaper for manufactures to make 16:9 since that's what they are making for tv displays already.

A 10" 4:3 screen is 48sq in vs 32sq in for a 10" 16:9 screen. In landscape you get a ton more screen height too.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 08-03-2013 at 08:53 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You make fun of something that has huge sales. ಠ_ಠ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smith01 View Post
    Not sure about the relevance of this post. Does it matter which size it is; it'll still display whatever the video is formatted to. Plus, if I wanted to stream to ATV, its gonna show up correctly on my TV Screen so where is the problem????

Thanks

Hm.. the digitizer ribbons kinda look like the 3/4 gen ipad but maybe a new one because the connections look different.. could be real. idunno.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Looks like the real deal to me. There were reports a while ago saying there would be a thinner bezel.

I don't think the screen is 16:9. It looks like they just trimmed the sides a bit and kept the screen size the same.

Thanks

I wonder if the Apple logo on the back lights up like on the MacBooks?