Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: DOJ Issues Punishment Recommendations for Apple

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default DOJ Issues Punishment Recommendations for Apple

On Friday, the United States Department of Justice announced a number of recommendations with regard to how Apple should be punished in response to having participated in an ebook price fixing scheme.

“The court found that Apple’s illegal conduct deprived consumers of the benefits of e-book price competition and forced them to pay substantially higher prices,” said Bill Baer, Assistant Attorney General in charge of the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division. “Under the department’s proposed order, Apple’s illegal conduct will cease and Apple and its senior executives will be prevented from conspiring to thwart competition in the future.”

For starters, what the DOJ wants is for Apple to stop preventing Amazon and Barnes & Noble, for example, from linking to outside ebook stores from inside of their native iOS apps. Under the proposed settlement terms, Apple would be compelled to allow those links for at least two years.

The department’s proposal will also require Apple to terminate its existing agreements with the five major publishers with which it conspired – Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Holtzbrinck Publishers LLC, which does business as Macmillan, Penguin Group, and Simon & Schuster Inc. – and to refrain (for five years) from entering new e-book distribution contracts which would restrain Apple from competing on price.

But wait... there's more. The DOJ also wants audits.

The Department of Justice is asking the court to appoint an external monitor to ensure that Apple’s internal antitrust compliance policies are sufficient to catch anticompetitive activities before they result in harm to consumers.

The DOJ's trial against Apple, which began on June 3, lasted for three weeks, and ended with the court determining that Apple violated Section 1 of the Sherman Act. Next Friday, August 9th, the court will hold a hearing on remedies.

To review the complete list of recommendations published today by the DOJ, click here.

Source: U.S. DOJ

That's crazy strickt. I hope that's not the final say. I like using the iBooks store, and I be a little upset if they couldn't have certain books anymore for 5 years from specific companies. Crazy.

Amazon can lose money on each e-book to thwart competition but Apple can charge retail and make all others charge reatail for a book and that is a crime?

I hope they can win an appeal. This constant attack on Apple to make points across the board is ridiculous. Now the DOJ should go after Amazon for falsely deflating the price of e-books.
    Last edited by REMED1AL; 08-02-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    That's crazy strickt. I hope that's not the final say. I like using the iBooks store, and I be a little upset if they couldn't have certain books anymore for 5 years from specific companies. Crazy.
    Leave it to the government to screw a buisness because they a a profitable company keep up the good work Apple

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by REMED1AL View Post
    Amazon can lose money on each e-book to thwart competition but Apple can charge retail for a book and that is a crime?
    It is when apple conspires with publishers to fix prices. They got greedy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Feanor64 For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-02-2013)

Amazon can lose money on each e-book to thwart competition but Apple can charge retail for a book and that is a crime?
    nobody forced these people to buy books at retail price they did it on their own free will and now they expect Apple to pay for their mistakes

Thanks

WOW...beat that dead horse. I hope my iBooks is not affected like the above says it may be.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

You know Apple is doing good when they try to screw the consumer and then the consumers defend them. That's what I'm talking about!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feanor64 For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-02-2013), HovikGas (08-02-2013)

Apple basically said give me your best price, meaning no one else gets a better price, and we'll take 30%. Not price fixing. Just an across the board rule.

Banned
    Thanks

+1 for justce

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

Feanor64 (08-02-2013)

They will learn that I/Many Others just purchased a lot of books On Kindle

I've paid for a few ebooks. I wonder if they'll give me any credit

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    +1 for justce
    You really are just here to hate on Apple.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

Jato_BZ (08-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    That's the price they pay for using their weight to break the rules.. I'm an apple fanboy for sure but they've been being a bit shady the bigger they get, they are evolving into the Microsoft of the 90s in some ways.. with the potential to be much worse.. competition is a good thing for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    nobody forced these people to buy books at retail price they did it on their own free will and now they expect Apple to pay for their mistakes
    It's still illegal.. you can defend it all you want, it doesn't make it right..

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    You know Apple is doing good when they try to screw the consumer and then the consumers defend them. That's what I'm talking about!
    Exactly! lol I notice this often .. and it's getting worse.. Apple can do no wrong in many people's eyes..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to oneduality For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-02-2013)

GOOD! This is exactly what Apple need. A good kick up the butt to force them in line with good work ethics.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to smith01 For This Useful Post:

dsg (08-02-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Amazon can lose money on each e-book to thwart competition but Apple can charge retail and make all others charge reatail for a book and that is a crime?

I hope they can win an appeal. This constant attack on Apple to make points across the board is ridiculous. Now the DOJ should go after Amazon for falsely deflating the price of e-books.
    constant attacks on apple is ridiculous ? have you seen the lawsuits apple has been filing every other week against others ?

It's amazing how many people commenting here don't have a clue about anything they talk about.

is this your first time on the internet or something?

Apple keeps money over seas not to pay taxes, do the gov. gets them in this type of ways

I think there should be a penalty for breaking the law, but allowing them to not make deals with publishing companies for 5 years is a bit much. Make them pay a hefty fine. Don't take away from a key piece of their business though. iBooks is a great part of the iPad and iPhone. If they take books away from them it's stunting not only the company, but the consumers that use those books. As a consumer, I'm worried now about my limited book selection to come. In an industry that's changing daily, 5 years from now who knows what better advancements we'd have on these books...