Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Launches LTE-Based Home Phone and Internet Service

Thanks

Default AT&T Launches LTE-Based Home Phone and Internet Service

AT&T recently launched a new home phone and Internet service this week – one which relies on the carrier’s LTE and HSPA networks. The service works through a modem (which comes free with a two year contract) that only needs a power outlet and a decent AT&T coverage network to work. The carrier refers to the new offering as its “Wireless Home Phone and Internet Service,” with a $20/month fee for the phone and $60/month for Internet. It should be noted that this pricing only covers 10 GB of data. You’ll end up paying $120 for 30 GB and $10 for every GB over.

According to AT&T, the wireless modem can supply Internet service for up to 10 devices via Wi-Fi and can be used with customers’ existing wired telephones. It’s completely portable allowing you to use it wherever the carrier provides HSPA and LTE service as well. Here, it should be noted that AT&T has the second largest LTE network in the U.S. (next to Verizon) and it’s consistently proven to be the fastest among the various carriers. The carrier also boasts the most reliability although that’s debatable.

Verizon also has a similar offering called HomeFusion Broadband which only works a tad bit differently. It only works with the carrier’s LTE network and only supports a data connection – which means no voice calling. It has a similar pricing tier as AT&T’s ranging from $60 per month to $120.

This isn’t exactly the first time consumers have been pitched wireless services such as this one and it likely won’t be the last. Although LTE service may be faster than broadband internet speeds for some, the thought of forcing yourself into a data cap doesn’t seem like the best idea. If you don’t have that many other options though, it may be something to look into.

According to the folks over at Fierce Wireless, the service is available in Baltimore, Eastern Pennsylvania, Southern New Jersey, Virginia, Washing D.C. and many other East Coast locations. AT&T plans to eventually rollout the two services to the rest of its wireless network areas.

What do you think of the offering?

Source: AT&T, Fierce Wireless

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akshay Masand For This Useful Post:

Snoddy19 (07-31-2013)

You Americans don't half seem to get fleeced for internet pricing. Makes a change from everything else being cheap I suppose.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambi_Valence For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (07-31-2013)

Your country is the size of one of our states. What's your point?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MikePA For This Useful Post:

lilpetabread (07-31-2013)

Thanks

I would never even consider this. I pay $200 a month for FIOS and that includes 50/25 internet (60/35 actual), phone service and HDTV with every channel including all the premium movie channels. There is no data cap with FIOS. Comcast has a 250GB a month limit, if you go over they can ban you from their service for a year. I generally hit around 1TB a month.

Seems a bit expensive too me but then I can also see where it may have its uses!

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    And where is he from?
    And I've yet to understand how does a size of a country matter at all for this discussion...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brab For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (07-31-2013), MOJO5873 (07-31-2013)

Think ill keep my cableone Internet. It's cheaper only reason it's cheaper I'm not capped at 30gb. I pay 100.00 for Internet an cable don't need a house phone. 6 iPhones in the house 😂😂

Washing DC or Washington DC

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BennyPR For This Useful Post:

buggsy2 (07-31-2013)

I don't use Internet at home. It destroys family life.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kosher1 For This Useful Post:

MOJO5873 (07-31-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    Their continent is the size of our country and their rates are still far cheaper. What's your point?

Thanks

Being punished for data usage is not my idea of a deal. No thanks AT&T but i'll stick to COX Cable. I pay $150 for HDTV, Internet and phone. I still think its expensive but its the best deal around my area.

I can't imagine anybody within range of an HSPA tower wouldn't have a better (faster, cheaper, unlimited) data option than this.

Just while I'm hating AT&T... Has anybody else noticed how AT&T's data-coverage map has subtly changed over the last few weeks? It now shows light orange for 3G coverage areas, an almost identical shade of light orange for "4G" and another almost identical shade of light orange for 4G LTE. AT&T =

The Map is meant as a Consumer Pacification & Confusion Tool. The more confusing the map is the less likely people will actually check it and just get signed up based on the sales Rep, both AT&T Store or Authorized Resellers alike.
    If they shaded the updated map even worse than before most likely to make it even harder to see each Service Types Coverage Areas and make people who don't pay attention think certain services are in places where they're really not, mostly LTE vs HSPDA & 3G/2G.

Shady of them to make their horrible coverage map even less readable!!! But what has AT&T done recently that's not a bit shady.

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I would never even consider this. I pay $200 a month for FIOS and that includes 50/25 internet (60/35 actual), phone service and HDTV with every channel including all the premium movie channels. There is no data cap with FIOS. Comcast has a 250GB a month limit, if you go over they can ban you from their service for a year. I generally hit around 1TB a month.
    So tired of the 'fios is awesome' refrain... If you are in one of their limited market spaces, great, otherwise, who cares? Wireless -- where V currently spends most of their time and money -- is more readily available to the vast majority of people in the US whether it's from V or AT&T. As they continue to expand faster wireless speeds over a larger area, all they need is the right price point to compete with wireline services. 1TB/month falls way beyond the average use. Even if you think the Comcast not-a-cap-cap of 250GB is not enough, you could stream a Slingbox Pro HD (1.5Mbps) for 12hrs a day for a month and have bandwidth left over. The reality is most people just don't use that much. There will always be people that are the exception and some of those will be violating ToS to do so.

False, I'm on XFinity here in MN and we have unlimited. And we just switched when qwest became century link. So it's no long term plan, and we have unlimited

Comcast has a 250GB a month limit, if you go over they can ban you from their service for a year.
    This is blatantly false. Comcast suspended its data cap over a year ago and has yet to reinstate it. Meaning, Comcast users can download as much as they want right now, with no punishment. I regularly download well more than the 250GB limit and have never gotten any call, email, or letter from Comcast asking me to stop or imposing any such ban. Even when they were enforcing the 250GB limit, there was never a 1 year ban. Please look up facts before you start spouting arbitrary fiction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quidam_brujah View Post
    So tired of the 'fios is awesome' refrain... If you are in one of their limited market spaces, great, otherwise, who cares?
    I am in their market but I am also only 20min from Baltimore where this new AT&T plan is rolling out. So this is a new option for me but it can't even come close to competing. It supports their LTE market but anyone with LTE access has landline options that are way better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    False, I'm on XFinity here in MN and we have unlimited. And we just switched when qwest became century link. So it's no long term plan, and we have unlimited
    If you just switched then there isn't a data cap... for now. They sprung one on existing customers in 2008 and knowing Comcast they will do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by sidenine View Post
    Even when they were enforcing the 250GB limit, there was never a 1 year ban. Please look up facts before you start spouting arbitrary fiction.
    When they were enforcing it, if you went over 250gb two months in a row and they had the right to ban you. Please look up the facts before you start spouting arbitrary fiction.

http://www.wired.com/business/2011/07/seattle-comcast/

I didn't realize they weren't enforcing it anymore but when I was with them they were. This is partly why I left them. Other reason is my service would go out for a few hours EVERY week. I work from home so that is a big problem.
    Last edited by slim.jim; 07-31-2013 at 05:54 PM.

I am in their market but I am also only 20min from Baltimore where this new AT&T plan is rolling out. So this is a new option for me but it can't even come close to competing. It supports their LTE market but anyone with LTE access has landline options that are way better than this.

If you just switched then there isn't a data cap... for now. They sprung one on existing customers in 2008 and knowing Comcast they will do it again.

Go over 250gb two months in a row and they had the right to ban you.

Comcast Bans Seattle Man From Internet for His Cloudy Ways | Wired Business | Wired.com

I didn't realize they weren't enforcing it anymore but when I was with them they were. This is partly why I left them. Other reason is my service would go out for a few hours EVERY week. I work from home so that is a big problem.
    You do realize the article you cited is from 2011, when they did indeed have a data cap? But, back in May 2012, they removed it and it's been gone since then. This nonsense about "if you just switched then there isn't a data cap" is also false. Again, please stop saying things that are just not true.

Comcast suspends 250GB data cap—for now | Ars Technica

I also work from home and while every now and then I have a glitch that makes my internet go down, it's maybe 2 times a year and usually only for 30 minutes. I'm not a Comcast fan by any means, but I also find very few reasons to complain about them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sidenine View Post
    You do realize the article you cited is from 2011, when they did indeed have a data cap? But, back in May 2012, they removed it and it's been gone since then. This nonsense about "if you just switched then there isn't a data cap" is also false. Again, please stop saying things that are just not true.

Comcast suspends 250GB data cap—for now | Ars Technica

I also work from home and while every now and then I have a glitch that makes my internet go down, it's maybe 2 times a year and usually only for 30 minutes. I'm not a Comcast fan by any means, but I also find very few reasons to complain about them.
    Yes I do realize its from 2011. You said they never banned for going over 250gb. Please read my entire response. Another person said they just switched to Comcast and they mentioned they didn't have a data cap, well of course because it is no longer being enforced. I have had Comcast in other homes and never had a problem but at my current house Comcast's reliability was horrible. This is my experience and my opinion. It wasn't the wiring in my house because it was a new build and all brand new.