+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Publishes Web Page for Recognizing Counterfeit Chargers Following Electrocutions

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default Apple Publishes Web Page for Recognizing Counterfeit Chargers Following Electrocutions

Following two separate cases (1) (2) of electrocutions in China dealing directly with the use of counterfeit Apple power adapters for iOS devices, Apple has taken action and has published a new Web page on their Chinese Web site that helps users tell a real Apple power adapter from a counterfeit one.

The new Web page can be accessed at this link and is in Chinese. A Google Translation (edited for grammar) of the Web page gives us more insight as to what the Web page says:

Apple always puts the userís safety first, so all of our products are subject to stringent safety and reliability testing, and are designed to meet government safety standards around the world, including the iPhone and iPad USB power adapters.

This overview will help you identify genuine Apple USB power adapters. When you need to charge the iPhone or iPad, we recommend that you use the supplied USB power adapter and USB cable. These adapters and cables are also available separately from Apple and Apple Authorized Resellers.
    Apple makes note that the power adapters they provide for users with their devices are tested carefully to ensure their safety and reliability under different conditions. Judging the amount of deaths that are racking up from the use of counterfeits, itís safe to say that counterfeits arenít put through the same kind of testing.

The Web sites goes over the various kinds of power adapters that the company offers, such as those for the various different models of iPhones and iPads.

It's good to see that Apple doing at least something to try and prevent such electrocutions from happening. It will now just be up to the user to visit this page and ensure that their power adapter is the real thing and not some knock-off.

Sources: Apple via 9to5Mac

Green Apple
    Thanks

Company's should do this for all areas as there are a lot sellers that claim their products are real and it would be helpful if you could just check!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpySod For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-25-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Counterfeit charges can be a real buzz kill huh.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to REMED1AL For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-25-2013)

Thanks

Good idea! I agree, would be nice to be able to check the authenticity of all hardware.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Good idea! I agree, would be nice to be able to check the authenticity of all hardware.
    The problem: That site is useless.

Long story short, I had to throw out my real chargers along with the fakes because I bought a lot of fakes and you can't always tell which ones are real. I don't want to give them away because I would feel responsible if a friend's home burned-down and someone might even die.

A long time ago, I was assured that the chargers I was buying were absolutely original. The seller offered them to woot.com members and said his supplier assured him they were authentic. The adapters I received looked good. I didn't notice for a long time that they all had the same serial numbers and typographical errors in the printed text. My old iPhone 3G had problems with the touch screen sometimes when charging (a sure sign of a counterfeit, even though they don't always do this). I gave 2 chargers to a friend and they both burned-up (actually burned), though it happened years apart. For a long time, I didn't even suspect they were counterfeit. Before I knew how common counterfeits were and how unsafe they were, I bought some chargers from DailySteals.com -- just a few at first. They seemed authentic, so I bought even more. I shared them with friends and included extras as surprise freebies with items I sold on eBay. Later, I found that these more-convincing counterfeits are also fake (after cutting one open).

When I look at them now, even the ones that I'm sure are original have different model numbers and varying contrast for the text on the back (and the slightly shaded plastic on the back)...and there's just absolutely no way to tell an original from a fake without opening it. I cut-open one that looked convincing and found out it was fake. The obvious fakes share the same serial number and have typographical errors on the back, but they just aren't so obvious anymore.

So, with my iPad mini and iPhone 5, I put tiny labels on the back so I know where the charger came from...just in case it gets mixed-up with other people's chargers.

Mandatory reading:
    http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside...d-why-you.html
    (I don't know why he changed the pictures when he updated the article, it used to show a ultra-compact USB charter that looked like Apple's)
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 07-25-2013 at 01:08 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shigoroku For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-25-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Here's another way to tell fake from genuine: when it sells for pennies on the yuan. If the price is too good to be true it probably is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-25-2013)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Here's another way to tell fake from genuine: when it sells for pennies on the yuan. If the price is too good to be true it probably is.
    However some fakes are made to look and packaged to look just like the real thing and charge about the same amount of money! And there has been occasions where fakes have been swapped with real ones!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GrumpySod For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-25-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This video (and there are others) shows the insides of a cheap charger and comments on why these things are dangerous.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noderix View Post
    This video (and there are others) shows the insides of a cheap charger and comments on why these things are dangerous.

Interesting and amusing; but I don't understand why he compared two clones, rather than a clone and a genuine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to buggsy2 For This Useful Post:

iH85CH001 (07-25-2013)

Thanks

People are stupid if they'll only use Apple chargers. Apple isn't only the only company who makes products that run on a USB power supply.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here's an article I came along a while back:
    Ken Shirriff's blog: A dozen USB chargers in the lab: Apple is very good, but not quite the best

It includes a weight chart, which probably it's the easiest way to find out if the charger is a fake or not.

Thanks

Default what you talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    People are stupid if they'll only use Apple chargers. Apple isn't only the only company who makes products that run on a USB power supply.
    Every product has a set compatible accessory. There is something called quality checks which fake products or the so called 'other companies' don't do. That's why your genuine apple products blow up or heat up or catch fire when you mix up that compatibility.
    If you want to use fake chargers ... might as well go for fake iphones.

Thanks

damn now that I think about it im never buying a power adapter unless its from Apple store I dont need my house burning down because of some cheap **** its just a matter of time before this **** ends up stateside

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sheon View Post
    damn now that I think about it im never buying a power adapter unless its from Apple store I dont need my house burning down because of some cheap **** its just a matter of time before this **** ends up stateside
    Just don't buy them online except from Apple.

You can't trust Amazon sellers, eBay sellers, deal sites.

If you buy an unopened Apple-brand product from Target/Walmart/Best Buy/etc...you don't really have to worry about them being counterfeit. Universally, almost all counterfeits are sold for < $10 USD.

I think you're trying to say that these counterfeit chargers are not dangerous. YOU ARE WRONG.

Apple was pushing engineering limitations with the "ultra compact USB charger" product. Counterfeiters simply compromised on safety and violated regulatory restrictions to make their look-a-likes in the same form factor.
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 08-06-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    I think you're trying to say that these counterfeit chargers are not dangerous. YOU ARE WRONG.

Apple was pushing engineering limitations with the "ultra compact USB charger" product. Counterfeiters simply compromised on safety and violated regulatory restrictions to make their look-a-likes in the same form factor.
    No, I'm saying that there are multiple reputable companies that make safe usb chargers.

Thanks

Default Wrong Again.
    No, I'm saying that there are multiple reputable companies that make safe usb chargers.
    Be careful when you say such things. When you're investing so much money in apple products why compromise on accessories? Reputable companies don't take enough precaution when making accessories. They may be quality products.... but if its not apple certified you better stay away from them.

Thanks

Almost all of the Apple-certified ones are priced similar to the original Apple charger. The non-certified ones are, more often than not, very dangerous.

Some MFi-certified chargers are affordable and safe. AmazonBasics and Monoprice come to mind.