+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Announces $35 Chromecast Streaming Device to Take on the Apple TV

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Alongside the refreshed Nexus 7 , Google recently showed off the Chromecast, a streaming attachment that plugs into the HDMI port on a television. By utilizing the device, users can
    Thanks

Default Google Announces $35 Chromecast Streaming Device to Take on the Apple TV

Alongside the refreshed Nexus 7, Google recently showed off the Chromecast, a streaming attachment that plugs into the HDMI port on a television. By utilizing the device, users can stream and queue material from Android and iOS devices, Chrome OS devices, and OS X and Windows PCs with Google’s Chrome browser installed.

The device itself interfaces with interoperable services directly, allowing users to continue using their devices even as content streams. It works with music content, videos from YouTube, as well as with apps like Netflix, both on iOS and Android. During the presentation of the new device, Google executives showed it picking up streaming content from both an Android and iPhone, continuing a user’s YouTube experience with just the press of a button. Users will find that YouTube, Google Play Music, and Netflix apps on iOS and Android will integrate a “Cast” button, which will tell the device to push video or audio content to a ChromeCast device on the same network.

Multiple users with compatible apps installed on their mobile devices and traditional computers can also collaborate to queue content and share to the same television. Flaunting the device, Google executives repeatedly made thinly veiled references to Apple’s “beloved hobby” the Apple TV set-top box. One of them even said the following:

Unlike other solutions, we will not force you to have the same operating system on all your devices.
    For those of you who are wondering, the device runs a simplified version of Chrome OS and Google is working to provide the tools to developers that would allow them to have content from their apps displayed via Chromecast or through a Chrome browser interacting with a Chromecast device.

Chromecast went on sale shortly after its announcement. The device is currently available at Amazon, Best Buy (starting July 28), and Google’s online Play Store. Google seems to have taken an aggressive stance with regard to the device’s pricing. Priced at $35, it is just over one-third of the price of an Apple TV.

Those of you learning more about it can do so by watching the video below:

Will any of you be looking into getting Chromecast?

Source: Google
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 07-24-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

From the video, it looks like devices can only stream pictures and videos. What’s nice about iOS devices and apple tv is that you can stream what ever is on your screen including non video apps or presentation apps. I not sure if this google device can do this but from the video, this device seems pretty limited still. Saying that, I don’t think apple’s apple tv has reached it’s potential either, though I think its a great tool for education and presentations.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Saw this on DailyTech, I guess it will do screen-mirroring, but limited to what's inside your Chrome browser.

"A couple of other cool features include screen-mirroring, which will show the user's activity on their Chrome browser including videos and photos, and use of multiple devices to control Chromecast (for instance, if you play a movie from your smartphone's Netflix app, you can use your tablet as a remote control)."

DailyTech - Google Offers $35 Media Streaming Stick "Chromecast"

Thanks

^^ I read on yahoo news there will be updates as well as a beta for streaming chrome browser tabs...
    For $35 I'm certainly interested

Green Apple
    Thanks

Think at present it's nah better than some cheaper devices on eBay

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So it'a just a plug in airplay device? I have mountain lion and apple tv and never use airplay video, I just don't see the point.

Thanks

The Apple TV is more capable and can be jail broken..well the first and second gen anyway. The price is decent but in the end, you get what you pay for.

Thanks

@BigBoyz I agree. I'd rather pay £99 for a device that can be jailbroken and I can get way more functionality out

Google's Chromecast V Apple TV: The Showdown.

But at $35, its worth buying even if you never use it, just in case.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moribo View Post
    @BigBoyz I agree. I'd rather pay £99 for a device that can be jailbroken and I can get way more functionality out

Google's Chromecast V Apple TV: The Showdown.

But at $35, its worth buying even if you never use it, just in case.
    Try buying an Apple TV that you can jailbreak for $99/£99, have a look at the current price for a jailbreakable Apple TV

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Try buying an Apple TV that you can jailbreak for $99/£99, have a look at the current price for a jailbreakable Apple TV
    Agreed! I have two AppleTV 2nd Gen and neither are jailbroken. I sold a third one for $150 a while ago. I should just sell these two and get three AppleTV 3rd Gen!

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it sounds like a good idea just so long as apps like Hulu, tuneinradio, etc start getting parts in it because I hate Netflix and use Hulu.

Off topic but why can I not view videos on the app or on Chrome? (Haven't tried safari yet)
    Last edited by PokemonDesigner; 07-25-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    My ATV3 does everything I ever wanted it to do originally using PlexConnect.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fungusfeet View Post
    My ATV3 does everything I ever wanted it to do originally using PlexConnect.
    PlexConnect with my AT3 has been pretty amazing.. I originally was running RasPlex, but it was too buggy and slow.. PlexConnect has been very reliable and a pleasure to use..

Side note, I hope to see a cydia tweak that changes the AirPlay symbol to the ChromeCast symbol.. I am talking about being inside Spotify, and pushing the music to ChromeCast, which is not supported currently.. Pretty much all apps that have sound or video, have a ChromeCast option.. I know apple will never allow ChromeCast to be default inside iOS.. Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They couldn't announce this earlier???
    Just wasted $100 on AppleTV about a month ago and is already collecting dust...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The chromecast is a steal at $35. Apple TV is better but it's only compatible with apple products. I have an apple TV and i will still be getting the chrome cast. that thing is pretty cool and i like the fact that it plugs directly on your tv hdmi port. my bedroom tv is mounted on the wall. no stands needed and i can use my iPhone to stream videos. i love apple but i gotta give it to google. The chromecast is bad ***.

Quote Originally Posted by kpierre00 View Post
    The chromecast is a steal at $35. Apple TV is better but it's only compatible with apple products. I have an apple TV and i will still be getting the chrome cast. that thing is pretty cool and i like the fact that it plugs directly on your tv hdmi port. my bedroom tv is mounted on the wall. no stands needed and i can use my iPhone to stream videos. i love apple but i gotta give it to google. The chromecast is bad ***.
    for a 100 bucks you could get three chromecast and have every tv in your house pimped out. I mean i do love apple products but they can be too pricey.
    Last edited by kpierre00; 07-25-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    From the video, it looks like devices can only stream pictures and videos. Whatís nice about iOS devices and apple tv is that you can stream what ever is on your screen including non video apps or presentation apps. I not sure if this google device can do this but from the video, this device seems pretty limited still. Saying that, I donít think appleís apple tv has reached itís potential either, though I think its a great tool for education and presentations.
    It also streams music (don't see why Id want music coming from my TV) but Google being the innovators that they are, we can be sure that this 1st Gen device is just the beginning.

iPhone? More like MyPhone holyshnikes's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone keeps comparing this to the Apple TV. It's not really any kind of competition. It's just a quick way to stream to your tv. The Apple TV is much more. It has built in apps, music, weather, I'm sure tv stations in the future. It's not just for AirPlay. Comparing the two isn't even really fair. The Apple TV is a completly different device.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    It also streams music (don't see why Id want music coming from my TV) but Google being the innovators that they are, we can be sure that this 1st Gen device is just the beginning.
    Apple TV do more but for the most part people's interest in those devices are to stream Netflix, Hulu and you tube. The chromecast do that out the box for three times less than Apple TV. I feel cheated for buying an Apple TV a year ago.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Has Amazon changed the price? I just checked out Amazon and they were quoting $72.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slayorktc View Post
    PlexConnect with my AT3 has been pretty amazing.. I originally was running RasPlex, but it was too buggy and slow.. PlexConnect has been very reliable and a pleasure to use..

Side note, I hope to see a cydia tweak that changes the AirPlay symbol to the ChromeCast symbol.. I am talking about being inside Spotify, and pushing the music to ChromeCast, which is not supported currently.. Pretty much all apps that have sound or video, have a ChromeCast option.. I know apple will never allow ChromeCast to be default inside iOS.. Thanks!
    I'm not sure what your saying. But if you want to push music from spotify, or any music app other than iTunes, hold "option" and at the same time hit the volume icon in the status bar. It will give you system options for pushing sound. I push music all the time that way. That is for OSx btw.