+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony Announces a New Upgrade for SpectraLayers Pro 2

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Sony Announces a New Upgrade for SpectraLayers Pro 2

If you happen to be an audio editing professional that uses the Mac platform, than you are in for a treat as Sony recently announced a new upgrade for SpectraLayers Pro 2. The new version of the software brings the same spectrum-based audio editing interface that was seen in its predecessor, but with a number of tweaks added to improve the application’s usability.

Among the several tweaks is the considerable bump to the application’s performance. Spectral graph explorations throughout the program now move faster in all scenarios. The application also has a new shape tool which is tailored to extract audio elements like drum sounds. Users only need to point at a shape on the spectral graph and click on it to pull it over to a target layer. Sony also added a number of new options to display a frequency range. Users are now given the option to display different frequency ranges according to their own predetermined logarithmic scale choices.

In addition to these features, Sony has also added the ability to cast the frequency signature of one layer over that of another, resulting in a derivative layer that can be phase-inverted, which a user can then edit to better enable others to hear distinctive sounds in a mix. SpectraLayer Pro 2 also has one-click noise extraction, time-range defined looping, and new resampling and remixing options that allow users to define, rout, and mix channels during the resampling process. The company also optimized the software to take advantage of the higher resolution on Retina-equipped MacBook Pros.

Those of you interested in purchasing the software can do so from Sony Creative Software’s site. Users who are upgrading from SpectraLayers Pro can purchase the new software for $200, while new users will have to dish out $400 for the application. It should be noted that the software is also available for free trial. One thing to note is that an Intel-based Mac with at least a dual-core processor is required, although a quad-core processor is recommended. Users should also be running Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8 with 2 GB of RAM and 2 GB of free hard disk space for temporary files. SpectraLayers Pro 2 also requires an OpenGL 2.1-compatible graphics card with 256 MB, a 1280 x 720 display resolution, and CoreAudio-compatible audio hardware.

Source: Sony via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks
    As a professional and lifelong audio enthusiast, I cannot stress enough how completely revolutionary this software is. It is by no means a replacement for traditional audio editing and digital audio software, but it is more useful as an extension of those tools that can do certain manipulations to a sound recording which would have been considered impossible only a few years back.

I only hope that the more experienced veteran engineers are willing to learn the benefits of this new software and see it for what it truly can be.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

This sounds revolutionary. Only problem is the pricing. Even "pros" and pros don't want to pay that much but others will. It's a give and take scenario. Hopefully there will be videos up on YouTube to make the not so pros like me decide to dish out the money or not. Sounds wonderful though.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    This sounds revolutionary. Only problem is the pricing. Even "pros" and pros don't want to pay that much but others will. It's a give and take scenario. Hopefully there will be videos up on YouTube to make the not so pros like me decide to dish out the money or not. Sounds wonderful though.
    To be very honest, I don't quite see this being useful in the hands of anything but the most serious and borderline-professional hobbyist. This is extremely advanced software, and not the typical music editing program, and not meant as an alternate way to complete the same task. Sony bought out the program from the original developer, which is a good thing as long as sony continues to invest in it and support it, the price tag would be very well worth it. The price is nothing compared to what it would cost in labor-hours to do actual work with this program - very time consuming.

With that said, the original developer did release a demo as well as many pre-release videos, I;m sure you can find these still and try it for yourself.

One thing this software has been used for is the extraction and separation of elements in recordings which only exist in mono. Using this photoshop-like editing, patterns and objects in the spectrum can be painstakingly drawn out and removed to a separate layer. As opposed to fake-stereo processes of the past which involved reverb and equalization-based rechannelling (always sounded horrible compared to the true mono, made the music sound like it was in a tunnel, and was always a big mistake/waste of time) this new process can create some extremely convincing stereo versions of these songs. Since they are digital extractions, one can argue whether or not this is "true stereo". In all honesty, it's not any more false than your standard multitracked stereo recording.