+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Supposed Security Researcher Claims to Have Hacked Apple's Developer Site

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Supposed Security Researcher Claims to Have Hacked Apple's Developer Site

The hacker who recently accessed encrypted data from Apple’s developer center website claims he found and reported 13 bugs to the company, but that he has no intention of accessing or using the encrypted user data. He claims he obtained the data while trying to see “how deep” he could go. It was Ibrahim Balic, who identified himself as a “security researcher” who attempted to point out serious issues to Apple about its Dev Center website. His comments were made in response to an admission by Apple on Sunday that its developer website was hacked.

In the security breach, sensitive personal information included on the registered developer’s website was encrypted and Apple believed that the information could not be accessed. Balic suggested that he has been able to obtain some user details as evidence to Apple of an apparent security flaw. According to Balic, he found a total of 13 bugs on Apple’s site, one of which gave him access to user information. He claims to have taken 73 user details, all of whom were Apple employees, and given them to the company as an example.

Roughly four hours after Balic gave the user data to Apple, the company shut down its Dev Center website. The outage began last Thursday and has remained in place since then, while Apple has worked “around the clock” in an effort to patch the apparent security issues. The public comments Balic made were apparently made in an effort to clear his name as he said he’s “not feeling very happy” about how the situation has been portrayed and also expresses his concern about potential legal action against him. He wrote the following as part of his comment:

I did not done this research to harm or damage. I didn't attempt to publish or have not shared this situation with anybody else. My aim was to report bugs and collect the datas for the porpoise (sic) of seeing how deep I can go within this scope.
    Balic claims that he has obtained more than 100,000 encrypted user details by exploiting bugs on Apple’s Dev Center website during his research. In a recently posted YouTube video which has now been made private, Balic revealed a handful of names and email addresses found in raw data allegedly taken from the Dev Center as well. In his video, Balic mentioned the following regarding his future plans regarding the situation:

I will be deleting all the datas I have, only got these datas to see just how deep I can go. Also have informed Apple before taking these datas.
    Source: TechCrunch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Great another Vigilante Hacker breaking the law in the name of research!!!
    At least Apple should be grateful he told them about all the bugs, they hope anyway!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My wife and I have different bank accounts (TD and PNC). They closed both accounts on Thursday for suspicious activity in Brazil and Canada. We live in FLorida. We had to get new cards and spend half a day switching all the accounts to the new cards. Thanks Apple!

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy34 View Post
    My wife and I have different bank accounts (TD and PNC). They closed both accounts on Thursday for suspicious activity in Brazil and Canada. We live in FLorida. We had to get new cards and spend half a day switching all the accounts to the new cards. Thanks Apple!
    How is that apple's fault...?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to *T* For This Useful Post:

Colwood (07-23-2013)