Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Apple TV Claims 56% of Streaming Device Market

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Report: Apple TV Claims 56% of Streaming Device Market

When you consider the increasingly stiff competition of the streaming device industry, Apple's ability to capture better than half of this market with the Apple TV is an impressive feat.

According to a report Tuesday from Frost & Sullivan, the Apple TV now accounts for 56% of the global IP streaming devices market. Apple's nearest competitor - Roku - actually isn't near Apple at all with just 21% of the market.

TiVO - yes, TiVo is still around - placed a distant third with 6.5% of worldwide sales. The remaining 15.9% was divided among Sony, Boxee TV, Logitech Revue, Vizio, and other miniscule players in the game.

So what has helped Apple secure such a dominant share of this market? iPhones and iPads haven't hurt, says analyst Dan Rayburn.

“Apple TV’s AirPlay feature was strategically crafted to simplify the process of transferring laptop and tablet displays to a TV screen, and it is AirPlaying – not (online video) streaming – that is the primary reason for purchase of Apple TV devices,” Rayburn says.

Sources: Frost & Sullivan and Gigaom

Thanks

I wish Apple would come out with a SmartTV app that would function as an AirVideo server and let me stream my iPad to my TV. That is one TV app that I would certainly pay for. If it is actually possible... I dunno.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

That's pretty crazy considering the ATV wasn't very popular when it first came out. I still don't think the numbers are that high. I really enjoy my ATV's, I use them all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by slim.jim View Post
    I wish Apple would come out with a SmartTV app that would function as an AirVideo server and let me stream my iPad to my TV. That is one TV app that I would certainly pay for. If it is actually possible... I dunno.
    They did it's called an Apple TV.

I did a lot of research before buying my Roku 3, and I must say I have NO regrets. It's super fast and has way more options and channels (700+).

I can plug in my movie drive via USB & watch all my MKV movies. (1249 movies) can't do that with aptv.

The only thing missing is airplay, but Roku said this is coming via update

Not bad for a hobby!

I really hope Apple never comes out with an actual TV. I'm a firm believer that TV's and streaming/app devices should be kept separate simply because they are on very different upgrade cycles. I know TV makers want us to buy a new TV with a $500 jacked up price for $20 of hardware, and then buy new TV's every year or two instead of 5 or 10, but it's just not happening with me.