Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple in Talks to Buy Firm Responsible for Xbox Kinect's 3D Sensor Technology

Thanks

Default Apple in Talks to Buy Firm Responsible for Xbox Kinect's 3D Sensor Technology

Apple is currently rumored to be in acquisition talks with Israeli development company PrimseSense, which is the company that created the range camera technology that Microsoft used as a base for the Xbox 360’s Kinect sensor. According to the Israeli publication Calcalist, the two are in the middle of advanced talks for an acquisition reportedly worth $280 million.

Aside from the infrared motion tracking system which is found in the Kinect, the technology from PrimeSense is being used in advanced applications like Matterport’s 3D scanner, which uses the sensors to create full-color models of interior spaces. Another case study is iRobot’s Ava healthcare robot, which uses the sensors to “see,” allowing it to navigate and interact with people.

It’s unclear what plans Apple has for PrimseSense or how it might end up using the firm’s technology. Some of the firm’s technology could potentially be combined with that of “indoor GPS” firm WiFiSlam, which the Cupertino California company purchased in March. Apple already has a presence in Israel after it purchased the flash memory component maker Anobit in 2011 for $400 million. Since then, Apple has expanded its operations in the region with research and development centers in Ra’anana and Haifa. We’ll have to wait and see if Apple ends up acquiring PrimeSense.

Source: Calcalist via The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

thats a bit low Apple, design and build your own, it's as if you don't have the money to

Thanks

Money? are you stupid? this is about intellectual property. The mind. No amount of money can synthesize creativity.

I hate when people say stupid things like that.

they have the money to hire designers to design new tech, are you stupid?
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

I feel like starting at group zero means twice as much leg work is done needlessly so I'm with Apple on this one. Not to mention I'm sure there is some intellectual property that if not bought, would prevent Apple from doing their own thing anyway.

I just hope this doesn't cause future lawsuits against Microsoft... even if I think their new way of doing business like the subscription model Office and XBOX One required subscription(s) is a joke.

but taking somebody else's tech just causes stagnation, better to come up with something new.

this also proves that Apple are just magpies and are trying to scupper Microsofts head way into the living room

I want Apple to keep producing good kit that challenges the market, not to keep taking things and causing lawsuits because of patent battles

Apple used to be innovative, now they're just corporate bullies
    Last edited by dsg; 07-16-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    thats a bit low Apple, design and build your own, it's as if you don't have the money to
    Pffff, Apple hasn't come up with a new or unique idea in years. They've just bought up the companies who did invent the stuff then make a humble video about the new tech against a white background while wearing V-Neck T-Shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Pffff, Apple hasn't come up with a new or unique idea in years. They've just bought up the companies who did invent the stuff then make a humble video about the new tech against a white background while wearing V-Neck T-Shirts.
    troll

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

Not really a troll. Just honesty. Besides, aren't all good ideas "borrowed"?

if that were so then there would be no good ideas

Thanks

Why build your own when someone has already "perfected it" The Connect is pretty sweet. Not to mention this company is only going to advance under Apple. The tech inside of the Connect is old. Im sure they are working on the "next" big thing :]

nvm
    Last edited by dsg; 07-16-2013 at 04:34 PM.

There's some pretty stupid people on the interwebz. Do you think Microsoft, Google, etc.. are not buying out other companies/technologies?? Guess Google is pathetic as well for buying Motorola, Youtube, etc.. on top of stealing the iPhone idea of a smartphone.

there are some **** wits on here that just like to bash people

I know other companies do it, but to blatantly go after a company that makes products for a competitor is a bit Sus and yeah I'm against other companies doing it too
    Last edited by dsg; 07-16-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Companies buy out others all the time, including Microsoft, Samsung, and Google; this is nothing new! Why would Apple want to start something of their own when they can buy a great product that's already developed? There are cases where it's good to do your own thing, but if the company behind Kinect is willing to sell then why not? Hopefully this leads to some cool things for iDevices!