+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Says His Company's Relationship with Apple Has Improved

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Says His Company's Relationship with Apple Has Improved

Speaking with Reuters at this year’s Sun Valley retreat in Idaho, Schmidt revealed that both Google and Apple have been participating in several meetings over the past year, suggesting that the two companies are trying to work together to resolve their differences. According to Schmidt, Apple and Google are in “constant business discussions on a long list of issues.” Although details regarding the issues are left to speculation, Schmidt did reveal that Google’s chief business officer Nikesh Arora led many of the meetings.

Being reasonably close partners at one point in time, both Apple and Google have drifted apart after the search giant introduced its Android operating system, which has subsequently taken over the global smartphone market. In an interview in October of 2012, Schmidt himself said that the battle between Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android is the “defining fight of the industry today,” and not much has changed since then.

For its part, Apple has tried to move away from its reliance on Google or data in almost every aspect of iOS. For example, the first five iterations of Apple’s mobile OS featured a suite of apps built on Google’s assets, including Maps and YouTube. Starting with iOS 6, the Google Maps-driven Maps app was replaced by Apple’s own solution and the native YouTube app was also removed. Google ultimately ended up creating standalone iterations of the native apps in order to maintain its presence on the iOS platform.

As mentioned before, what Schmidt was referring to remains unknown and just left to speculation. We’ll have to wait and see if the talks lead to anything that will turn out to be helpful to the average consumer.

Source: Reuters via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope it's not something like going back to Google maps because those are terrible. However I wouldn't mind apple showing them how to make the YouTube app actually work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I hope it's not something like going back to Google maps because those are terrible. However I wouldn't mind apple showing them how to make the YouTube app actually work.

Google maps would be an upgrade from Apple's maps offering if you ask me.. and I know you didn't ask me

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Google maps is terrible? You couldnt possibly be serious. Google maps is many times superior to apples maps even IF apple maps didnt have issues with melting terrain and structures and giving wrong directions.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've had problems with both google maps, and apple maps giving wrong directions. Almost always, at least 1 of them is correct. I like the search better in Google Maps (it seems to find more relevant results), but I like the fact that apple maps uses vector graphics.

So overall, I personally like both apps as an option.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oneduality View Post
    Google maps would be an upgrade from Apple's maps offering if you ask me.. and I know you didn't ask me
    Didn't ask you. Apple maps for iPhone is way better and has better integration into iOS than google maps has. I've never had a problem with locations being wrong and actually in my experience, apple maps has been more accurate than google maps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty Manley Silberhorn For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (07-12-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Didn't ask you. Apple maps for iPhone is way better and has better integration into iOS than google maps has. I've never had a problem with locations being wrong and actually in my experience, apple maps has been more accurate than google maps.
    Same here. Never had a problem or wrong directions. Had downloaded Google Maps when it came out and deleted within 30 minutes. Just didn't like it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

i personally use Waze i dont like Google maps much its ok, Apples map offering i have never had issues with per se just idk like the feel of Waze overall

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    i personally use Waze i dont like Google maps much its ok, Apples map offering i have never had issues with per se just idk like the feel of Waze overall
    I use Waze everyday twice a day but just for commute. If I have to go to some new place or look for a place, I use Apple Maps. Waze search has disappointed me several times.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Google maps is terrible? You couldnt possibly be serious. Google maps is many times superior to apples maps even IF apple maps didnt have issues with melting terrain and structures and giving wrong directions.
    Those same problems are with Google Maps.

Thanks

Well, of course it has better iOS integration as Apple totally removed Google maps integration from iOS. You can't really blame Google for that. I like Apple maps just fine, but I haven't personally had a single instance where Apple maps was "more accurate" than Google maps.

Green Apple
    Thanks

LOL/ROFL - no further comments necessary...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    LOL/ROFL - no further comments necessary...
    Same to you sir, same to you.