+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Being Sued for Allowing Users to Purchase HD Content on Non-HD Devices

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Wait we can sue for stuff like this? I'm suing Best Buy for selling me a Blu-ray even though my MacBook Pro can't play it.
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wait we can sue for stuff like this?

I'm suing Best Buy for selling me a Blu-ray even though my MacBook Pro can't play it.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    So refund his rental fee for the movie!!!

Here we go..... So it's Apple fault because this guy didn't bother to read the owners manual/guide on his iPhone???
    To be fair, I just looked through all the information that came with both my 3GS and 4S and I don't see any real mention of this. I think at the very least there could have been a pop-up that warns the user if a device cannot play at high resolution (and thus actually have a difference) on non-retina devices. I'm not sure actually preventing it would be the right action, as I recall you can still play the rental on a computer in iTunes (or on other iDevices.) But a notification would have made it much more clear for those who aren't aware of the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by chaos86au View Post
    And every idiot who buys a Blu-ray player or disc without owning an HD TV should sue Walmart. **** this guy.
    That's not quite the same thing. A blu-ray player can always be returned to the store for a refund. If you are a non-technical person and all you own is a 3GS and don't watch anything on your computer, then it's not too hard to imagine such a person getting duped into paying extra. $1 may not seem like a lot, but if you're renting movies frequently, that can add up. I feel at the very least there could be a clear message that pops up when a user attempts to purchase an HD film on a non-retina device, without actually preventing the purchase if the user really wants to go through with it.

Also, isn't rented content available for viewing on any device you log into iTunes on?
    Yes, this appears to be the case. As long as the same account is being accessed, it should be viewable on a computer via iTunes or another iDevice iirc.
    Last edited by szr; 07-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Charging more for HD content is ridiculous in the first place since it doesn't cost any significant amount more to distribute it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamemaster77 For This Useful Post:

szr (07-09-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    This lawsuit won't make it: why? Because he still got what he payed for. If he went on his computer and looked at his purchases, he would be able to play the HD version there.
    You're assuming everyone who has an iPhone/Pad/Pod also has a computer. From what I encounter on an almost daily basis, not everyone does. If a 3GS or lower or a first gen iPad or early iPod Touch is all they have, and they don't know the difference between HD and SD, then yes they are getting ripped off.

It's his fault for being an idiot, not Apple.
    Um, idiots (read: people who have little to no technical knowledge) are Apple's primary user base that they cater to in the first place. Apple has always been building machines for the regular joe who knows nothing about computers. It's obvious that that Apple has been getting better and better at taking advantage of that ignorance.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Charging more for HD content is ridiculous in the first place since it doesn't cost any significant amount more to distribute it.
    Excellent point. With even high end desktop computers encoding to 1080 vs 720 or lower doesn't take much longer. I was able to watch HD videos (720 at least) on my 3GS even if it didn't actually have the pixel count to actually take advantage of, it was still playable, so yes one should continue to have the ability to still watch it on a non-retina device. A warning message should be all that's needed to make it clear for those who really don't know the difference. Maybe have an option to not show the message again. Although I think this is moot since I don't believe the 3GS, iPad 1, and such will have any further iOS updates so I don't think this can actually be changed then, unless they release special updates for those devices only, much like how only the iPhone 5 received 6.1.4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOneProfile View Post
    You guys who are talking about the mcdonalds coffee need to go on netflix and watch "hot coffee" its a documentary. Seriously
    I can't... it's in HD and I only have an iPhone 3G

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hexland View Post
    i can't... It's in hd and i only have an iphone 3g
    lmao!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hexland View Post
    I can't... it's in HD and I only have an iPhone 3G
    Netflix lawsuit?

iPhone? More like MyPhone redwolf's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe Apple will sue you for downloading HD content on you non-HD device

My iPhone is a Part of Me slim.jim's Avatar
    Thanks

Netflix lawsuit?
    Netflix will only stream hd to an hd capable device.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

You guys who are talking about the mcdonalds coffee need to go on netflix and watch "hot coffee" its a documentary. Seriously
    Saw the entire video. That 79 year old lady's hands were probably shaking like twig in a category 5 hurricane. I know mine would when I'm 60+. She should've asked her nephew to open the cup. Better yet, get up off your @$$ and go inside and mix all the cream and sugar you want on a table. Plus the bottom line is, it's freaking coffee. It's supposed to be hot. She would've sued MacDonalds if the coffee wasn't hot enough too. She won the case because she was 79 year old white lady. If it was a 25 year old black man, you know what the outcome would've been.

Sheeeeet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Saw the entire video. That 79 year old lady's hands were probably shaking like twig in a category 5 hurricane. I know mine would when I'm 60+. She should've asked her nephew to open the cup. Better yet, get up off your @$$ and go inside and mix all the cream and sugar you want on a table. Plus the bottom line is, it's freaking coffee. It's supposed to be hot. She would've sued MacDonalds if the coffee wasn't hot enough too. She won the case because she was 79 year old white lady. If it was a 25 year old black man, you know what the outcome would've been.

Sheeeeet.
    Yeah but its the only way for companies to take action. The doc. said there were like 700 complaints. That should have been a red flag. I agree with you tho. She should have went inside.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Im sorry but that may cause a lawsuit with Netflix

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks

C'mon Weiselberg...Please leave these bullsh!t lawsuits to states like CA and LA where apparently folks have nothing better to do. The FL Bar should drag this fool to the state line and kick his @ss over with a "don't come back, d0uchebag!" Last thing we need here is ppl thinking, 'Well, they couldn't figure out hanging chads in '00, so why are we shocked they can't understand "standard def" vs. "high def"?

Thanks

But...but...you can still view your HD purchases on other devices. Even a PC with the iTunes software.

Thanks

The funny thing is i'm a victim of this as well.. Luckily I found out when I had a friend who pointed it out to me.
    Passionate tech blogger, student in college and part time worker at SoldMyDevice.com

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12